Cable for eARC

May I know whether you will be streaming from the in-built apps of your LG TV or you are planning to watch the downloaded content from hard disk/pendrive through USB ?
If its streaming through in-built apps then none of the streaming services provides DTS-HD or Dolby True HD which might require higher bandwidth. So for streaming, even the HDMI 2.0 cable will suffice for eARC to work.

I ha
May I know whether you will be streaming from the in-built apps of your LG TV or you are planning to watch the downloaded content from hard disk/pendrive through USB ?
If its streaming through in-built apps then none of the streaming services provides DTS-HD or Dolby True HD which might require higher bandwidth. So for streaming, even the HDMI 2.0 cable will suffice for eARC to work.
I have many downloaded contents in Dolby True HD ATMOS and DTS X 7.1 saved in my 3TB HDD.
I frequently download similar contents from torrent
especially which are 4K and the one's which are Dolby Atmos thru Dolby True HD.
DTS X Master Audio transferred from Blu ray to my HDD.

I ha
I have many downloaded contents in Dolby True HD ATMOS and DTS X 7.1 saved in my 3TB HDD.
Just thinking out aloud..
Rather than trying to go through hoops and source a HDMI2.1 cable , why not simply get a firestick 4K for a bit less or an ATV4K for a bit more?

Just thinking out aloud..
Rather than trying to go through hoops and source a HDMI2.1 cable , why not simply get a firestick 4K for a bit less or an ATV4K for a bit more?
Thanks for the advice.
But my TV is a 4K smart TV with every feature of the firestick in built even Amazon Alexa.
Firestick goes for non- smart TV's.

Firestick goes for non- smart TV's.
Not necessarily - There are plenty of users here who use a streamer over the in-built apps for the better PQ, convenience and flexibility they offer
e.g I use an ATV with a 4K Samsung 9 series and another one with a Mi Android TV as it offers better PQ and ease of use.

While I did try ARC (not eARC as my AVR doesn’t support it) with the in-built app, I switched to the more traditional streamer -> AVR -> TV route because
a) The ARC HDMI handshake was a lot longer (at least a few seconds) vs the near instantaneous handshake with the latter
b) The navigation/UI on the streamer was a lot faster than the in-built app
c) Especially The LAN streaming experience on the TV was terrible compared to far better alternatives available for ATV

Anyway, this was just an alternate thought
The only point I am trying to make is streamers are not necessarily meant for non smart TVs only

I ha
So you are gonna play those files from your TV's USB port ?
If so, then you don't need HDMI 2.1 cable.
And your TV has USB2.0 port which at the max supports only 480Mbps. Even the USB 3.0 supports only 5 Gbps. Latest USB 3.2 also doesn't exceed 20 Gbps.
So, the point I'm trying to make is you don't have any source/hardware yet which supports more than 20Gbps bandwidth.
For your use case, any HDMI 2.0 cable will do to support eARC with enough bandwidth.

Cheers..

Hi friends !
Hunting for a 2-3 meter certified HDMI 2.1 cable supporting eARC has now become next to impossible. There are several HDMI 2.1 cables out there. None of them are certified by the HDMI corporation. Non- certified cables are mostly fake and will not comply with all the HDMI 2.1 specified protocols & specifications. You will find some of the functions and features not working or preforming as per specification. I had encountered few of these with fancy logs and false features printed on to them. Like ..... 48 Gbps speed Ultra high speed, 8K VIDEO, DOLBY VISION, HDR 10 , eARC for Dolby True HD / Dolby Atmos and DTS X 7.1.....
They are unable to perform , especially failing to work in the eARC features... unable to pass Dolby True HD / Dolby Atmos 7.1 and DTS X 7.1 contents.
I doubt there is any genuine
"HDMI-Certified" cables out there presently
for HDMI 2.1 with 48Gbps speed supporting eARC.
The original ones have the "HDMI-Certified" hologram logo stickers on them with QR codes for authentication proofs.
Well, here you go:
Read the product description and Q&A section to understand the progress with 2.1 certification.
Your search might end here :)

Not necessarily - There are plenty of users here who use a streamer over the in-built apps for the better PQ, convenience and flexibility they offer
e.g I use an ATV with a 4K Samsung 9 series and another one with a Mi Android TV as it offers better PQ and ease of use.

While I did try ARC (not eARC as my AVR doesn’t support it) with the in-built app, I switched to the more traditional streamer -> AVR -> TV route because
a) The ARC HDMI handshake was a lot longer (at least a few seconds) vs the near instantaneous handshake with the latter
b) The navigation/UI on the streamer was a lot faster than the in-built app
c) Especially The LAN streaming experience on the TV was terrible compared to far better alternatives available for ATV

Anyway, this was just an alternate thought
The only point I am trying to make is streamers are not necessarily meant for non smart TVs only
The most important aspect is you are satisf
Well, here you go:
Read the product description and Q&A section to understand the progress with 2.1 certification.
Your search might end here :)
I had seen this listing earlier. These are all Chinese stuff selling in the US. Non- certified cables will not guarantee performance. In the Q&A section there is no discussion on the eARC functionality and Dolby True HD & DTS X 7.1 pass thru.

So you are gonna play those files from your TV's USB port ?
If so, then you don't need HDMI 2.1 cable.
And your TV has USB2.0 port which at the max supports only 480Mbps. Even the USB 3.0 supports only 5 Gbps. Latest USB 3.2 also doesn't exceed 20 Gbps.
So, the point I'm trying to make is you don't have any source/hardware yet which supports more than 20Gbps bandwidth. I have no intentions yo play these giles
For your use case, any HDMI 2.0 cable will do to support eARC with enough bandwidth.

Cheers..
I think you have figured everything incorrectly.
You should first read how do I intend to interface everything and for what purpose.....

I think you have figured everything incorrectly.
You should first read how do I intend to interface everything and for what purpose.....
I'm very well aware of what I said. If you are not convinced, then please go ahead and search for your cable. Good luck.

The most important aspect is you are satisf
I had seen this listing earlier. These are all Chinese stuff selling in the US. Non- certified cables will not guarantee performance. In the Q&A section there is no discussion on the eARC functionality and Dolby True HD & DTS X 7.1 pass thru.
If you read the seller's comment in Q&A, you will understand that there is no certification yet. Also, we all know that majority of the stuff that we buy are from China. There's no escaping that.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Good luck.
-ktks1

I'm very well aware of what I said. If you are not convinced, then please go ahead and search for your cable. Good luck.
My Friend please don't take this in a wrong sense.
Over here I have clarified everything very clearly in my previous posts.....
I am connecting my hdd or flash drive to the TV's USB port not to the AV receiver.
My TV is passing thru the encoded audio thru it's
(HDMI 2.1 /eARC) output to the eARC of my AV receiver and the AV receiver decodes the encoded audio either in Dolby Digital 5.1,
Dolby True HD /Atmos 7.1 or DTS X 7.1

Over here the AV reciver detects automatically the audio format .... Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Atmos 7.1 or DTS X 7.1

Over here the HDMI 2.1 cable has to carry the encoded signal between the TV & the AV receiver.
The USB cable has no role to play in between these two devices.

Already everything is working perfectly in this way for Dolby Digital 5.1 and the 1st generation " compressed " Dolby Atmos which is thru Dolby Digital plus and the 1st generation DTS 5.1 with my present HDMI 2.0 cable.

But for the 2nd generation of "uncompressed" Dolby Atmos thru Dolby True HD and DTS X 7.1 Master Audio HD the (certified) HDMI 2.1 cable is a must.

If you read the seller's comment in Q&A, you will understand that there is no certification yet. Also, we all know that majority of the stuff that we buy are from China. There's no escaping that.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Good luck.
-ktks1
Very soon, maybe by 2020 branded cables like Audioquest, Hama and many other will be having certified hdmi 2.1 cables. Will have to wait till they are out in the market.

I am connecting my hdd or flash drive to the TV's USB port not to the AV receiver.
(HDMI 2.1 /eARC) output to the eARC of my AV receiver and the AV receiver decodes the encoded audio either in Dolby Digital 5.1,

Over here the AV reciver detects automatically the audio format .... Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Atmos 7.1 or DTS X 7.1

Over here the HDMI 2.1 cable has to carry the encoded signal between the TV & the AV receiver.

Already everything is working perfectly in this way for Dolby Digital 5.1 and the 1st generation " compressed " Dolby Atmos which is thru Dolby Digital plus and the 1st generation DTS 5.1 with my present HDMI 2.0 cable.

But for the 2nd generation of "uncompressed" Dolby Atmos thru Dolby True HD and DTS X 7.1 Master Audio HD the (certified) HDMI 2.1 cable is a must.
No offense taken. Everybody is here to learn and share things.
I know that you will be connecting your HDD to your TV's USB port. None of the mainstream AVR supports video through USB anyways.
Back to the topic: I know that eARC supports lossless audio and video transmission to receiver. For that HDMI 2.1 is required.

My question was why are you worried about the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 cable. If you really need 48Gbps bandwidth to transmit lossless audio and video to AVR then how come the TV can read the lossless audio and video from HDD with limited bandwidth of USB port. That port doesn't even exceed 5Gbps.

That's the reason I was talking about USB port.

Now technically, HDMI 2.0 cable has the bandwidth to transmit 4k 60fps HDR lossless audio and video. Don't know why HDMi 2.1 cable is really required to support eARC. Even i would like to know the technical aspects of this. It might not be bandwidth issue. It's how the TV manufacturers implement eARC.
Please point me to the right source so that i can understand..

Are you sure your TV can do True HD over eARC?
I could be wrong but i think most current implementation of eARC are limited to HDMI 2.0 and ATMOS over DD+.

AFAIK, Only way to do True HD+ATMOS is through a direct connection and not a return channel

No offense taken. Everybody is here to learn and share things.
I know that you will be connecting your HDD to your TV's USB port. None of the mainstream AVR supports video through USB anyways.
Back to the topic: I know that eARC supports lossless audio and video transmission to receiver. For that HDMI 2.1 is required.

My question was why are you worried about the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 cable. If you really need 48Gbps bandwidth to transmit lossless audio and video to AVR then how come the TV can read the lossless audio and video from HDD with limited bandwidth of USB port. That port doesn't even exceed 5Gbps.

That's the reason I was talking about USB port.

Now technically, HDMI 2.0 cable has the bandwidth to transmit 4k 60fps HDR lossless audio and video. Don't know why HDMi 2.1 cable is really required to support eARC. Even i would like to know the technical aspects of this. It might not be bandwidth issue. It's how the TV manufacturers implement eARC.
Please point me to the right source so that i can understand..
Actually your are right factually in that HDMI 2.0 will work but there is a slight flaw in your explanation.
The encoded video file data coming via the USB port is compressed data.
Once the renderer decodes the data on the fly, it sends the video completely uncompressed (a bad analogy could be a pure bitmap image )

Thus the bandwidth required beteeen the decoder and rendering sinks will be a lot higher than the banddwith required between the data source and renderer..

In the OPs case though, its a moot point as the bandwidth required for the video sink is over an internal data lane (hence immaterial) while the audio sink bandwidth is a lot lower than what HDMI 2.0 supports

PS: It is worth noting that lossless (compression) is not the same as uncompressed

Actually your are right factually in that HDMI 2.0 will work but there is a slight flaw in your explanation.
The encoded video file data coming via the USB port is compressed data.
Once the renderer decodes the data on the fly, it sends the video completely uncompressed (a bad analogy could be a pure bitmap image )

Thus the bandwidth required beteeen the decoder and rendering sinks will be a lot higher than the banddwith required between the data source and renderer..

In the OPs case though, its a moot point as the bandwidth required for the video sink is over an internal data lane (hence immaterial) while the audio sink bandwidth is a lot lower than what HDMI 2.0 supports
TIL a new thing.. Good to know..

Are you sure your TV can do True HD over eARC?
I could be wrong but i think most current implementation of eARC are limited to HDMI 2.0 and ATMOS over DD+.

AFAIK, Only way to do True HD+ATMOS is through a direct connection and not a return channel
TV will pass thru the True HD content to the AVR.
My Marantz NR 1710 has the eARC. It will do the job.
You can view the Youtube video from HDMI corporation and get to know the details about HDMI 2.1 and the eARC functionality for the Lossless uncompressed new generation Dolby & DTS X pass thru. They have explained everything.

How good will be a high speed HDMI 2.0 cable with ethernet like the Audioquest Pearl 3D over a regular HDMI 2.0 without ethernet ?
As Audioquest claims these can perform as good
as the newer 48Gbps ultra high speed cables and they can also easily pass thru the uncompressed audio formats of Dolby True HD Atmos and DTS X Master Audio HD too.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back