calibrate dvd player or the amp or display?

realactivex

Hi all,
Assuming that the video signal path is from the DVD player to the TV via the amp, which of these devices in the video signal path should i calibrate using a calibration DVD like say DVE to get optimum picture?

Please adivse on the below cases:

case 1: I just connect my dvdp to the tv and calibrate the TV.
case 2: I just connect my dvdp to the tv and calibrate the DVD player.
case 3: I just connect my dvdp to the tv via the amp and calibrate the amp.

I know, just between these three sources there could be nine different ways..(though i have only mentioned three cases above)
The more I think, the more i end up getting confused.
Please enlighten!

I generally take the following path:

1. DVD Player to TV directly for calibrating the TV. An amp in between could add some issues in terms of video pass through.

2. DVD Player to amp to TV to calibrate just the audio part of the amp.

As far as I am aware, a DVD Player does not need any calibration. It may need some initial adjustment settings, but that may have to be done literally for every DVD you play.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
Thanks for the reply. In that case i have two questions:

1. What is the use of the color/brightness/contrast/hue/gamma settings on the dvd player? Should i just leave them untouched to their default values and do all my calibration on the TV alone?

2.The steady state path of the video signal will be via the amp. So, by excluding the amp during the calibration stage, how do we account to minimise the artefacts introduced by the amp to the picture quality?

where can I find the DVE disk, or some other calibration dvd?

regards

hi Anm, I got mine from amazon-uk while i was in london. I think you could buy it from amazon and ask them to ship it to india (i havent tried it though)

1. What is the use of the color/brightness/contrast/hue/gamma settings on the dvd player? Should i just leave them untouched to their default values and do all my calibration on the TV alone?

Yes. I never play with the video settings on the DVD Player. This is the advice given by professionals also. If at all you play with the DVDP settings, it is at the calibration stage, and then leave them alone. You do this if your TV settings does not satisfy you. In most cases, the factory default settings on the DVD Player is good enough. The calibration software will also be focussed on the TV settings.

2.The steady state path of the video signal will be via the amp. So, by excluding the amp during the calibration stage, how do we account to minimise the artefacts introduced by the amp to the picture quality?

Agreed. But what really happens during calibration is that the software creates some very subtle (and possibly weak) signals which may get lost if routed through an amp. These are important for calibration. But, for regular DVD watching, the amp should not create any trouble. A good amp will not create any artefacts, but may unwittingly hide some signals. Most of the effect will be in the contrast and black tones.

If you are unhappy, you can calibrate first without the amp, and recheck it with the amp routed in.

Cheers

where can I find the DVE disk, or some other calibration dvd?

regards

Hello anm,
I got my Avia 2 guide to home theater DVD from amazon.com. It took roughly 3 weeks for them to deliver to India. Here is a thread where projector calibration was discussed in detail http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...some-views-projector-picture-calibration.html

In UK and USA there are ISF guys ( Image Science foundation ) they come to home and calibrate displays.It is a good idea to search the web for the ISF calibrated values of your display device and try apply them to see if you can see any difference.I got ISF calibrated values for a my projector in a discussion and experimented with them. Just a note of caution calibration is an art not science in its true sense.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

I generally take the following path:

1. DVD Player to TV directly for calibrating the TV. An amp in between could add some issues in terms of video pass through.

Right,but when we come to BDp we have to pass aud+vid over HDMI ,no choice.

Right,but when we come to BDp we have to pass aud+vid over HDMI ,no choice.

You are not understanding what I said. When I said direct connection for video, I meant physically connecting the DVDP and the TV, through an HDMI if needed.

For audio, you connect the DVDP through HDMI (or any cable) to the amp, and follow the instructions of the software.

Cheers

...I got ISF calibrated values for a my projector in a discussion and experimented with them. Just a note of caution calibration is an art not science in its true sense.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

This is not a good idea as each setup and environment are distinct. So just copying ISF calibrated metrics wont ensure the best quality.

Use the normal lighting conditions when viewing and the cablirate with a direct connection first (note down the values) and do so with the amp (note those values as well). If there are large differences then yoru signal is being messed with by the component. If they are close enough you are good.

I also suggest to run the calibration whenever you introduce a new component in yoru system.

Finally calibrate for STB, DVD and games separately due to the different video characteristics.

This is not a good idea as each setup and environment are distinct. So just copying ISF calibrated metrics wont ensure the best quality.

Use the normal lighting conditions when viewing and the cablirate with a direct connection first (note down the values) and do so with the amp (note those values as well). If there are large differences then yoru signal is being messed with by the component. If they are close enough you are good.

I also suggest to run the calibration whenever you introduce a new component in yoru system.

Finally calibrate for STB, DVD and games separately due to the different video characteristics.
Hello marsilians,
I never said to copy these values. What I meant is these ISF calibrated values can be treated as a good starting point. then they can be changed as per the pattern. For a projector most people will use a dark room so the influence of lighting is elimineted but for televison it is diffrent. The other source of difference is the screen gain and screen material and my guess most of the changes will be due to this. It is always a good idea to compare values ,analyze where the lartgest difference is coming from and make necessary changes.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back