Cambridge Audio 540R + MS Avant 908i - a great pair

ksk469

Hi All,

Its quite some time I have enrolled myself to this forum. However its my first post.

More than 6 months I am in search of a good set up of AVR + 2 speakers to start with and I am planning later include the rest of the surround set up.

I have started my search with intention of covering as many brands possible and then narrow down to next step.

This is when the forum helped me a lot in identifying a few models to start of my expedition. Here, I would say this forum is a gift to all AV lovers with plethora of info from a number of knowledge sharing mind.

My budget was about 70-80K for both AVR + two speakers.

So I prepared a list of models around 40K and the search covered Denon 1909,Onkyo 606, Yamaha 663,Marantz SR5003and Cambridge 540R/340R.

Strictly based on demo had and my pref, I immediately eliminated Onkyo as I felt the sound was loud and harsh.(Maybe Onkyo showroom was only as good as a warehouse!!) Denon though was good for music was not so impressive for movies. Same I felt for Marantz too. Yamaha was good for both music and movies. The last one I came across was Azur series and the first experience itself was so impressive that I was almost sold out to it. The only thing pinching me was of course was the lack of features in CA range.

However, I was not willing to compromise anything on the sound quality and rather I would on the features front which can be managed. Especially the video processing, which I can probably get later when I go in for my LCD/up scaling BD players .With my existing set up I would not miss much of video processing or the HD audio.

Thus I had finally narrowed choices to
Movies Yamaha or CA
Music- Marantz or CA

So CA being the common factor in both of my preferences, without any further doubts I went ahead for 540R.

And for the speakers, I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of MS Avant series and moreover an excellent matching with CA 540R.
Other speakers I auditioned were wharfedale 9 series, KEF IQ seires, Polk RTi series, MA BR2, Boston acoustics, Q acoustics. Though all of them were good in their own way, I found MS Avant series as a great value for money and also to my taste of listening.

Its been almost two weeks since I got this combo and I am thoroughly enjoying the system with all my favorite music .With movies too, it is really great. Though the surrounds are missed for an all round movie experience, the 908i clearly does not let you feel the absence of a sub.

All in all I love my system ...more to come as I enjoy the system

what I remember from my audition of CA equipment, they were very good to my ears with MS speakers. Good choice! Enjoy!

Thanks for the review.

Great synergy between CA and MS. When I heard the 640A with 906i, the sound was beautiful and very musical. I still somewhat prefer my 640A with the 906i sound to come on top with the current setup what i have. Again, great piece of gear you have.

Hi All,

Its quite some time I have enrolled myself to this forum. However its my first post.

More than 6 months I am in search of a good set up of AVR + 2 speakers to start with and I am planning later include the rest of the surround set up.

I have started my search with intention of covering as many brands possible and then narrow down to next step.

This is when the forum helped me a lot in identifying a few models to start of my expedition. Here, I would say this forum is a gift to all AV lovers with plethora of info from a number of knowledge sharing mind.

My budget was about 70-80K for both AVR + two speakers.

So I prepared a list of models around 40K and the search covered Denon 1909,Onkyo 606, Yamaha 663,Marantz SR5003and Cambridge 540R/340R.

Strictly based on demo had and my pref, I immediately eliminated Onkyo as I felt the sound was loud and harsh.(Maybe Onkyo showroom was only as good as a warehouse!!) Denon though was good for music was not so impressive for movies. Same I felt for Marantz too. Yamaha was good for both music and movies. The last one I came across was Azur series and the first experience itself was so impressive that I was almost sold out to it. The only thing pinching me was of course was the lack of features in CA range.

However, I was not willing to compromise anything on the sound quality and rather I would on the features front which can be managed. Especially the video processing, which I can probably get later when I go in for my LCD/up scaling BD players .With my existing set up I would not miss much of video processing or the HD audio.

Thus I had finally narrowed choices to
Movies Yamaha or CA
Music- Marantz or CA

So CA being the common factor in both of my preferences, without any further doubts I went ahead for 540R.

And for the speakers, I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of MS Avant series and moreover an excellent matching with CA 540R.
Other speakers I auditioned were wharfedale 9 series, KEF IQ seires, Polk RTi series, MA BR2, Boston acoustics, Q acoustics. Though all of them were good in their own way, I found MS Avant series as a great value for money and also to my taste of listening.

Its been almost two weeks since I got this combo and I am thoroughly enjoying the system with all my favorite music .With movies too, it is really great. Though the surrounds are missed for an all round movie experience, the 908i clearly does not let you feel the absence of a sub.

All in all I love my system ...more to come as I enjoy the system

Congrats:clapping::yahoo::clapping::yahoo:

We r happy to share ur hapiness. That is this forum all about. 3 :cheers::cheers::cheers: for ur setup.

I am happy u got the system u love. How much did u pay,If u don't mind?

Dear All,

Thanks for your hearty wishes.

I paid for the system as below:

CA 540R - RS 29,000/-(new)
MS 908i - Rs 25,000/-(demo)

MS 908i was a demo piece which was sparingly used . Though it was used for demo, when I went to the dealer it was in fully packed condition . It was again unpacked in my presence for the demo and on looking at the piece , I would have definitely assumed to be a brand new piece if and only if the dealer has not revealed.(dealer to be appreciated for their genuinity!!).On demo , I was even more impreesed with the SQ and immediately went for it.
I presume the mkt price for new 908i pair will be >40K. So it was a great deal too...:yahoo:

Even for 540R , I felt i got a decent deat at 29K as MRP is 38K and street prices were 32-34K.

The prices were all including VAT and clear bill.

hey ksk, congratulations, which dealer is this? Home Talkies or Cressida?

Dear All,

Thanks for your hearty wishes.

I paid for the system as below:

CA 540R - RS 29,000/-(new)
MS 908i - Rs 25,000/-(demo)

MS 908i was a demo piece which was sparingly used . Though it was used for demo, when I went to the dealer it was in fully packed condition . It was again unpacked in my presence for the demo and on looking at the piece , I would have definitely assumed to be a brand new piece if and only if the dealer has not revealed.(dealer to be appreciated for their genuinity!!).On demo , I was even more impreesed with the SQ and immediately went for it.
I presume the mkt price for new 908i pair will be >40K. So it was a great deal too...:yahoo:

Even for 540R , I felt i got a decent deat at 29K as MRP is 38K and street prices were 32-34K.

The prices were all including VAT and clear bill.

If my guess is right, it has to be Grand Cinema, they are shutting doors for CA and MS products. :sad:

Hey...its Cressida.

Though they are not closing on CA/MS or other AV products,there are in process of re-organising their strategy.

They have also shifted to a new place . It seems they have been heavily losing money holding stocks and a number of demo pieces. Hence now looking out to work more on enquiry/requirement basis only rather than holding long inventory. Their main focus will continue to be projectors/screens only.

Even for the 540R, after my order confirmation only , they inturn placed order on Fx and sourced it after a day.

Mr.Ravi of Cressida was transparent in sharing this :clapping:

Vinod...Grand Cinema told they no more deal with CA/MS. Also they had only Mezzo spks left out in stock.

So far I have never come across S70. Only the S30 s were available. Brilliant and cute ones.

Another info to share, Mordaunt Short Aviano series and CA One integrated CDP was launched here at Chennai on 18th July 09 . The fresh stock of Aviano will be available from Sep 09 onwards and understood to be priced very close to Mezzo range. Also (I wonder how far it is true) , that Avant series will be available till stocks last and will be phased out in favor of Aviano series.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back