Cambridge Audio 640A V2 keeps cutting off - have to switch source and back

naveenroy

Hello guys!

Need your help with this. I own the Cambridge Audio 640A V2 and of late, it has started cutting off - as in, I hear a "tick" sound and the audio cuts off. It then comes back, goes off again. I have to switch sources and get back again to the original source and sometimes, even that does not fix the problem.

There is no overload etc. I don't have any voltage fluctuation issues either as all the other equipment works fine. This is a bugging issue since I will be enjoying music and this happens. Frustrating!

Do any of you have an idea what this could be? Anything I can check? And no, this does not happen with just one source. It could me from the CD and then even from the Bluray player another time.

Same here....everyone is clueless.

Thats bad. I am trying to check online and no replies. I saw your post for another Cambridge Audio product and didn't want to hijack it and hence started this one. Am hoping to check it with someone here the last time the Amp had a problem. Lets see how it goes...

I remember reading a post earlier on a similar issue. Issue was with the Denon 1612 Amp shutting down, however not the same as your issue.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/32758-denon-1612-shutting-down-problem.html

PS: I used to face a similar issue on my Denon AVR-1602. While playing suddenly the source used to shut off. Now, the AVR was placed in a tight rack which had no breathing space above. Then I moved the AVR to my new rack which had a lot more breathing space and ironically the problem never surfaced again. I also checked all the physical connectors to-and-fro.

Last edited:
Thats bad. I am trying to check online and no replies. I saw your post for another Cambridge Audio product and didn't want to hijack it and hence started this one. Am hoping to check it with someone here the last time the Amp had a problem. Lets see how it goes...

Keep following me I will share with you the best technician's contact of CA Product based in Delhi......

Last edited:
Ok, a slight improvement. Since I purchased the Denon Network audio Player, I removed the CD player that was sitting on top of the amp. Well, the problem hasn't gone away completely but it is much better now. In fact, I was able to listen to a whole album without the problem resurfacing. But, as soon as I brought up the volume to the 10 o'clock position, the problem came up again.

Aaaargh :sad:

PS: I used to face a similar issue on my Denon AVR-1602. While playing suddenly the source used to shut off. Now, the AVR was placed in a tight rack which had no breathing space above. Then I moved the AVR to my new rack which had a lot more breathing space and ironically the problem never surfaced again. I also checked all the physical connectors to-and-fro.

An update!

As per Record Player's suggestion, I rechecked all the connections. In fact, I removed and replugged in all the connections. Made sure that no wires were touching the body of the amp. Also, rewired the speakers. Also, removed the CD player which was sitting on top of the amp. I think this has solved the problem *touch wood*

I was listening music off the Denon Network player for more than 2 hours and not once did the amp create any trouble. The dial was either at 9, 10 or 11 o'clock. Wow, I am relieved but will keep checking. Hopefully the issue is solved :yahoo:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back