Cambridge Audio 640A vs Yamaha AX-596

jay

Hi,

I need some help as am a bit confused.My budget is anywhere between 20-30k and I am undecided whether I should buy a Cambridge Audio 640A or a Yamaha AX-596.

Pricewise they are not much different but Yamaha provides 145W per channel in comparision to Cambridge's 75W per channel.

Can u guys please suggest.

Last edited:
It depends on which spk you r driving.Towers need more power & BS less.
Ampwise CA is preferred than Yam.
CA can drive sensitive towers to like Tany F4 for small room(<120sqft)

It depends on which spk you r driving.Towers need more power & BS less.
Ampwise CA is preferred than Yam.
CA can drive sensitive towers to like Tany F4 for small room(<120sqft)

Hi,

Mine is tower speakers with a room size of 200sq ft.
But as per your suggestion if Tower needs more power then Yamha amp is more powerful than cambridge.Isn't it?

Hi,

Mine is tower speakers with a room size of 200sq ft.
But as per your suggestion if Tower needs more power then Yamha amp is more powerful than cambridge.Isn't it?

Its not only the wattage ,but the spk sensitivity.If tower with 90db can be driven by Towers too.I took demo of CA340 with Tany F4 towers.I didnt feel less power or distortion at moderate volumes.

So check spk minimal power req & judge the best sound & decide.

Its not only the wattage ,but the spk sensitivity.If tower with 90db can be driven by Towers too.I took demo of CA340 with Tany F4 towers.I didnt feel less power or distortion at moderate volumes.

So check spk minimal power req & judge the best sound & decide.

Agreed its the speaker's sensitivity that matters.But using the same Tower speakers which one will be better between the two - Yamaha AX596 or Cambridge 640?

Hi,

I need some help as am a bit confused.My budget is anywhere between 20-30k and I am undecided whether I should buy a Cambridge Audio 640A or a Yamaha AX-596.

Pricewise they are not much different but Yamaha provides 145W per channel in comparision to Cambridge's 75W per channel.

What are your other components? That will determine the choice. Both are good components.

Klipsch towers tend to be very high sensitivity (94db +) so power shouldnt be a problem. However, they are picky the tone of the amp you pair them with. I'd suggest auditioning them with the amp you have in mind before buying them.

Thanks.

I do understand lot depends upon the entire setup,particularly the speaker.But can you please guide me how good are both the Stereo AMPS in that price bracket of 450US$ - 600US$.In fact Yamaha is cheaper than the Cambridge model.

There are some fairly competent amps in that price range. I personally like the Marantz 7 series. Didnt really like the Nad or the CA amps. Have a lower Yamaha (396) which I like. Ultimately its a matter of personal preference and synergy with the rest of your setup.

Thanks.

I do understand lot depends upon the entire setup,particularly the speaker.But can you please guide me how good are both the Stereo AMPS in that price bracket of 450US$ - 600US$.In fact Yamaha is cheaper than the Cambridge model.

You are absolutely on the spot here. I personally woudl look into a hybrid amp such as a Jolida 1501 for your setup. A used one will be in your range. If you want to stick to solid state, look at Rega, Creek, Linn again used for the same price range. Between teh Yammy and CA, its a very close call as the Yammy has definitely taken care of the "bright" sound with this amp. I briefly heard it in passing a long time ago in a store and was quite impressed esp at the low end. I personally would go with the Yamaha as the CA is relatively brighter.

you need to listen and make up your mind for yourself. like someone else said klipsch tends to be quite finicky with the rest of its set up - cambridge tending to be a little neutral can make the klipsch sound bright and also bring on listening fatigue. best way is to audition

Hi,

don't let that wattage fool you. 75 watts is more than enough for home listening. SQ is what matters more. simply speaking, if you take speaker of 88dB sensitivity/w, each watt extra will push dB level by 6(i hope i am not wrong). so 2 more watts and you go to 100. you need higher power for some peaks which are there in music. that is why tube amps with so low wattage give adequately loud sound.
talking about SQ, i am quite happy with Yamaha RX V 361 AVR as my stereo amp. have never heard sound of a CA.so listen to both amps with your speakers. that will give you the best answer.

i hope this helps

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back