Cambridge Audio 740C

persiflage

Friends,

Any experiences with the subject CD player? Sam Tellig called it 'close to the best CD player I have heard', for what it's worth. Said to be extremely detailed and accurate, if a trifle on the 'cold' side. I guess that can be solved with warm amplification/ speakers.

I especially like the fact that it can be used as a DAC for other digital souces.

Any place I can hear it in Mumbai? Perhaps if one of the forum members has it? Shane C. from fx told me that Mumbai dealers don't carry inventory of 740C and 840C, hence no go.

Have heard the Arcam and Cyrus contenders in the 40-60k range, curious if I can do better than that.

The other choice I have in India is Marantz 7001 or 7001KI. Would have liked to hear the Apollo, but local support is lacking. Plus I'm a little apprehensive because of a few reports of the player freezing up/ being unsympathetic to scratchy discs/ refusing to FF/RW.

Additional info on my rig (for now):

- NAD pre/ power (216, 1600THX)
- Monitor Audio Silver RS1 standmounts

Currently I am driving these through a 5k Philips DVD player.

Many thanks in advance for any inputs.

Regards,
Persiflage

PS: Can stretch and look at the CA 840C as well, if it justifies the premium over 740C.

Rs. 43K for 740C.

Didn't ask about 840C, but if the above is anything to go by, should be close to the equivalent of the UK list price (Rs. 65K or so).

Persiflage

Have you Auditioned the Marantz SA 7001 KI ? Its one of the best players i have heard at that price, Havent heard 740C though. Also try Cyrus CD6s.

happy hunting.

Mohan

Friends,

Any experiences with the subject CD player? Sam Tellig called it 'close to the best CD player I have heard', for what it's worth. Said to be extremely detailed and accurate, if a trifle on the 'cold' side. I guess that can be solved with warm amplification/ speakers.

I especially like the fact that it can be used as a DAC for other digital souces.

Any place I can hear it in Mumbai? Perhaps if one of the forum members has it? Shane C. from fx told me that Mumbai dealers don't carry inventory of 740C and 840C, hence no go.

Have heard the Arcam and Cyrus contenders in the 40-60k range, curious if I can do better than that.

The other choice I have in India is Marantz 7001 or 7001KI. Would have liked to hear the Apollo, but local support is lacking. Plus I'm a little apprehensive because of a few reports of the player freezing up/ being unsympathetic to scratchy discs/ refusing to FF/RW.

Additional info on my rig (for now):

- NAD pre/ power (216, 1600THX)
- Monitor Audio Silver RS1 standmounts

Currently I am driving these through a 5k Philips DVD player.

Many thanks in advance for any inputs.

Regards,
Persiflage

PS: Can stretch and look at the CA 840C as well, if it justifies the premium over 740C.

Hi Persiflage,
Please be warned that i am the worst person to take cdp advice. Am always unhappy and dumping them. But here goes:-
Both the CA players have lots of features(read bells & whisles) but on hearing both and the arcam and the cyrus i chose the cyrus. Maximum detail, great timing and very musical but the trebles can be very forward in the mix with some electronics and thats whats happened in my case. The cyrus was in my set up before the brystons and hence the mismatch was not detected.
I love all the marantz cdp s. Heard the sa 7001/sa 7001 KI and the SA 11 S 1. They are all very musical in their respective price category. They can be exposed with complex peices but all in all for most music they are very good.
Rega is coming in ten days so just hold on to ur cash. Am waiting to hear the saturn in my set up too.

Regards

PS I am selling my cyrus cd 6s if u are interested.

740C is 40k and 840C is 60k. But, given that you are using RS1 I would say if possible spend lesser cash on CD player and upgrade the standmounts. Cambridge Audio's DAC option is really lucrative, particularly if you have files in a computer. This feature isn't available in other players anywhere near in the price range.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/ comments.

Dinyaar, I did get to hear the 7001 (not KI though).. nice enough player but a) really a bit too 'lush' for my taste. Makes some of my music sound smoother than it's meant to be. I don't know how to describe it any better.

b) Vocals are beautiful, but some classical ensemble pieces did not come off particularly well. Felt a bit sluggish there.

I suppose beyond a certain price point there are lots of good players and choosing amongst them is a matter of individual taste and musical preferences.

Still thinking there's some way I can audition the higher-end Cambridges (740 or 840) before doling out the cash. Anyone?

Gopi: I suppose you're right, but at this point I feel upgrading the source would bring about the maximum incremental benefit. (And while at it I would like to buy the best source I can afford). Still, out of curiousity - what would you recommend as a sensible speaker upgrade?

persiflage, you are requesting about the price bracket which I am currently looking around. And there are some nice choices. Things to check are:
1. Dynaudio Audience 52
2. NHT Classic 3
3. Epos M12i
4. Usher V601 or even just check the S520 as well
Infact, if you are willing to spend some more cash, I would say Usher BE-718 is a steal for a lakh and you need lots of money to beat them.
There are also Quad 12L2 and B&W 685. But these might be moving sidewards.

Hi
I too believe that getting a CD source of this nature is an overkill and is not proportionate to your gain possible if you upgrade your current weak link which are your speakers. if you do consider the Usher, you can check out the x-718 or the x-719. Ofcourse the Be-718 is fantastic but I would consider that a bigger upgrade than what you may be planning

cheers
Sridhar

--------------
persiflage, you are requesting about the price bracket which I am currently looking around. And there are some nice choices. Things to check are:
1. Dynaudio Audience 52
2. NHT Classic 3
3. Epos M12i
4. Usher V601 or even just check the S520 as well
Infact, if you are willing to spend some more cash, I would say Usher BE-718 is a steal for a lakh and you need lots of money to beat them.
There are also Quad 12L2 and B&W 685. But these might be moving sidewards

Add the Usher X-718 to that list. I have a temporary pair sitting with me and these are absolutely wonderful for the list price (~50k+VAT). These essentially are identical to the Be-718 in terms of cabinetry but have cheaper drivers and crossovers.

Reignofchaos,
i take it then that you liked the x-718 :D how many hours have you put on them so far?

cheers

Absolutely... and today's the best day so far as the preamp is fixed now :D. Done around 30 hours so far out of which i guess around 5-6 are today :).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/ comments.

Dinyaar, I did get to hear the 7001 (not KI though).. nice enough player but a) really a bit too 'lush' for my taste. Makes some of my music sound smoother than it's meant to be. I don't know how to describe it any better.

b) Vocals are beautiful, but some classical ensemble pieces did not come off particularly well. Felt a bit sluggish there.

I suppose beyond a certain price point there are lots of good players and choosing amongst them is a matter of individual taste and musical preferences.

Still thinking there's some way I can audition the higher-end Cambridges (740 or 840) before doling out the cash. Anyone?

Gopi: I suppose you're right, but at this point I feel upgrading the source would bring about the maximum incremental benefit. (And while at it I would like to buy the best source I can afford). Still, out of curiousity - what would you recommend as a sensible speaker upgrade?

Hi Percy,
Fair enough. I thought the Marantz cdp was good for most music with the exception of hard rock/heavy metal but that i guess would hold for most marantz.
Are u also very clear that u want to go the cdp route against buying a quality Music server as lots of my friends feel that would be a more appropriate option.
FX ent cant arrange for a demo of the CA cdp s? Pretty shocking as they are the distributors!!!
Percy whats the budget for the cdp? If its 60+ just wait for the Rega s. U may really love it and i will try getting u a deal from Marbin( No promises but will try).Have u heard the Nad Masters cdp? Plays SACD. Hardly any reviws/opinions so was wondering. Am sure Priyesh will be only too happy to demo it and offer u a good price.
As for ur speakers well thats not really for me to comment as i guess u do like the way they sound. Anyway u can always upgrade( and u will) later.
HAHAHA
Regards

Last edited:
Dinyaar,

Thanks for your feedback as always.

LOL yes I am as susceptible to 'upgraditis' as anyone else.. so why only speakers, even amps may go!
(I might just go the SET + full range driver route - was impressed by that sound. Which is another reason I'm looking for max. accuracy, neutrality and detail from the CDP.)

Just that I do believe in 'source first'.

My Squeezebox is on it's way from the US, but not as a substitute for a CDP - far too many CDs to rip!

Cheers

Hi guys,
Unleash/Percy i am referring to the NAD M5 disc player. Thats the one paired with the M3 amp. Their high end offerings. Plays rbcd,hdcd,sacd.

I mentioned the music server as an option though thats the last thing on my mind!!!!!!!! Prefer a simple cdp. The thought of ripping all the cds may just put me of my music!! I think unleash feels the same.

Some more options are Marantz SA 15 S1/MArantz sa 11 S1 and S2, Yamaha CD s 1000/2000 and of course the Rega s. The 11 S1 is now discontinued and was last priced at about 2L but the dist here is willing to sell the last few @ 1.25L. Google it. The marantz reference series(all the ones mentioned) are built superbly and u will love owning one.

Regards

Add the Usher X-718 to that list. I have a temporary pair sitting with me and these are absolutely wonderful for the list price (~50k+VAT). These essentially are identical to the Be-718 in terms of cabinetry but have cheaper drivers and crossovers.

Hi ROC so you finally upgraded :) Wouldlove to hear soem reviews. .. nice.. well am yet to get my CDP . Hoping to get an Arcam FMJ SACD player on my next trip abroad. Here it is riduculously priced.
cheers,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back