Cambridge audio cxa80 with dali opticon 6 for stereo

Both Dali and Cambridge are on bright side of neutral. If your room is not highly dumped. It may lead to ear fatigue. Long audition in home condition is needed. I had this combo.
I didn't find dali's bright at all. I had polk rti a7 back in the days. Those were bright.

Last edited:
The opticon's have ribbons, so chances for it to blend with crown are much higher than Polk's dome. I am using it with Magnepans which sound smoother than 3 other class AB amps i have tried.

Hi ashwin...good morning.

The sound signature comes fully from the dac and the pre amp. Adding an external poweramp to the pre outs of the avr will keep the same sound signature, but will give you greater headroom and maybe tighter bass. Another advantage is that it will certainly relieve the avr of some big load, which can be used to drive the surrounds better.

So in my opinion, it would be better to buy an integrated amp with HT bypass inputs. So the avr can be fed here via its pre outs for movies to drive the opticon speakers.

And what ever digital or analogue source you have can be fed into the integrated amp for music duties with the opticons. In my opinion this would give you a purer musical experience, than using a power amp.

I run my front speakers this way. And have chromecast audio and streamer fed into the integrated amp. So i have a proper 2 channel system, as well as HT system with external integrated amp with the same set of speakers.

So in my opinion, it would be better to buy an integrated amp with HT bypass inputs. So the avr can be fed here via its pre outs for movies to drive the opticon speakers.
I run my front speakers this way. And have chromecast audio and streamer fed into the integrated amp. So i have a proper 2 channel system, as well as HT system with external integrated amp with the same set of speakers.
In case of an integrated amp the preout from AVR can be connected to any analog input and the same speaker can be used for all your sources by selecting it. Why should one buy an integrated amp with HT bypass inputs unless a power amp is used in the chain. I dont think CXA80 has pre/power option.

In case of an integrated amp the preout from AVR can be connected to any analog input and the same speaker can be used for all your sources by selecting it. Why should one buy an integrated amp with HT bypass inputs unless a power amp is used in the chain. I dont think CXA80 has pre/power option.

A integrated amp has a pre amp and a power amp section. The HT bypass input bypasses the pre amp section and goes directly to the power amp section. This enables external volume control from the avr.

In theory you can turn the volume knob on the integrated to max, and feed the avr pre out to its analogue inputs, in this case for volume control the avr has to start reducing the gain on the avr pre-out to a very large extent to get level matched volume on all channels. And as their name implies pre amps and power amps are designed to work best amplifying signals not attenuating them. So where sound quality matter, best to have a integrated with HT bypass.

You are right. But Preamp section is bypassed with Direct/ Source direct option in integrated amp. Only volume adjustment to be done.

You are right. But Preamp section is bypassed with Direct/ Source direct option in integrated amp. Only volume adjustment to be done.

Is it...iam not familiar with that then. I have a integrated with dedicated HT bypass inputs, and i use same to enable it as a power amp for the HT.

I was always under the impression that source direct only stopped any dsp processing in avr's. So i would check to make sure if it really works that way in a integrated amp.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back