Cambridge audio cxa80 with dali opticon 6 for stereo

Ashwin84

Guys pairing up dali opticon 6 with cambridge audio cxa80 integrated amp seperately will give better stereo output or adding a power amplifier ( crown xls 1502) to avr will also do the same for strictly music. Please suggest.

^^ Great timing for this question.. Is the Power Amp or the Integrated Amp a better solution.. ?

The cxa80 should be able to easily drive the opticons, (4 ohms, 89 db). I would use it for some time before thinking about adding a power amp.

The cxa80 should be able to easily drive the opticons, (4 ohms, 89 db). I would use it for some time before thinking about adding a power amp.
Actually i meant to ask , if choosing integrated amp over a power amp with avr and vice versa makes hell lot of difference for stereo listening, because on one hand i am thinking of running my dali's with cambridge audio cxa80 seperately for music and on the other hand i am thinking of adding a crown xls1502 power amp to my Avr which is 135 w at 8 ohms . So how much will either of the two options improve 2 channel stereo listening ?

Btw i have not purchased any of the two options i.e cxa80 or xls 1502 yet and my decision will be based on your expert suggestions here. Thanks

If you intend to use it for music, stick with a stereo amp. AVR if you need a full fledge 5.1 and above. Crown paired with a suitable pre amplifier in the chain should work wonders. But in the end it will boil down to how the system works as a whole. Only one way to figure it out, pair it with your speakers and try it for a few days. I think AVR is an overkill for music only playback.

If you intend to use it for music, stick with a stereo amp. AVR if you need a full fledge 5.1 and above. Crown paired with a suitable pre amplifier in the chain should work wonders. But in the end it will boil down to how the system works as a whole. Only one way to figure it out, pair it with your speakers and try it for a few days. I think AVR is an overkill for music only playback.
The thing is , i already have a dedicated 5.1 ht setup . Dali opticon 6 front, vokal centre, tannoy surrounds and kef q400b subwoofer. My priority is music listening while i occasionally watch movies. Now what i am trying to achieve is , improve my stereo listening experience , while also keeping the ht setup in the same room. One way of doing it would be to get an integrated amp and use it with dali opticon 6 separately while adding a smaller bookshelf for fronts in avr for home theatre.
The other way could be to add a power amplifier ( in my case crown xls 1502) to the Avr and keep running the opticon 6 as part of the ht and also for stereo when required.

You can try if your avr has pre-outs. The other way is to get a Integrated and an amplifier switch like @sadik made. Thread here...https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-speaker-switch.69693/#post-791917
Personally I find the Crown to be an excellent performer with My Peachtree DAC/ Preamp. But one recent FM @Akshit2111 did not care for it much. So i would advise to check if you can return it after a week or so, so you may try it in your system.

You can try if your avr has pre-outs. The other way is to get a Integrated and an amplifier switch like @sadik made. Thread here...https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-speaker-switch.69693/#post-791917
Personally I find the Crown to be an excellent performer with My Peachtree DAC/ Preamp. But one recent FM @Akshit2111 did not care for it much. So i would advise to check if you can return it after a week or so, so you may try it in your system.
Avr has preout. I am not looking for loudness if the purpose of power amplifier would solely be to make my speakers sing loud, because my avr is already pumping 200 plus watts power into 4 ohms and they are pretty loud already. I am looking for better soundstage, fidelity and clean sound. If adding crown xls 1502 will fulfill that purpose then it will be worth it.

What AV receiver is it? At this point I can only say try it.. we have our own taste for what we prefer. Crown can do all those things in my opinion.

Also what is your source currently? Getting a better DAC can also be an option if you feel your AV receiver can handle the speakers with authority.

Crown did not serve my purpose well.. it was loud, quite powerful had alot of bass but lacked sweetness.. like i listened to crown and basic marantz integrated amp side by side and i cudnt make out what those extra 250 watts were doing! before going into a pro amp i wud suggest you to have a little more practical approach as to what do u find lacking and what basically are u looking for? in my short experience-- sound is as relative as it can be ! someone may tell u this product has been great for them but might not suit ur taste... so dont even put 1 rupee into anything without taking a demo! I have frankly taken a loss of 10k in just 10 days ! i am not saying crown was not good! it was great but it did not serve my purpose well.. maybe it was coz of my preamp, my little room, my ears anything!! So spend wisely is all i can say :)

What AV receiver is it? At this point I can only say try it.. we have our own taste for what we prefer. Crown can do all those things in my opinion.
Receiver is pioneer sc lx57 . I have heard only good things about this amp and it has sabre32 ultra es9016 onboard dac which is also pretty good .

Crown did not serve my purpose well.. it was loud, quite powerful had alot of bass but lacked sweetness.. like i listened to crown and basic marantz integrated amp side by side and i cudnt make out what those extra 250 watts were doing! before going into a pro amp i wud suggest you to have a little more practical approach as to what do u find lacking and what basically are u looking for? in my short experience-- sound is as relative as it can be ! someone may tell u this product has been great for them but might not suit ur taste... so dont even put 1 rupee into anything without taking a demo! I have frankly taken a loss of 10k in just 10 days ! i am not saying crown was not good! it was great but it did not serve my purpose well.. maybe it was coz of my preamp, my little room, my ears anything!! So spend wisely is all i can say :)
Agreed.

Both Dali and Cambridge are on bright side of neutral. If your room is not highly dumped. It may lead to ear fatigue. Long audition in home condition is needed. I had this combo.

The thing is , i already have a dedicated 5.1 ht setup . Dali opticon 6 front, vokal centre, tannoy surrounds and kef q400b subwoofer.
Among Dali and Tannoy why you have picked Kef which is a sealed sub for HT set up? How much you like kef q400b.

Guys pairing up dali opticon 6 with cambridge audio cxa80 integrated amp seperately will give better stereo output or adding a power amplifier ( crown xls 1502) to avr will also do the same for strictly music. Please suggest.
As you have a avr with preout.
There is no point buying a stereo amp and using separate speakers for movies.
Better go for a power amplifier.
As you have a higher budget you can check qsc DCA 1222(50k) or 1622(60k) - 2 channel Power amplifiers
Or even
Qsc DCA 1644 or 1844- 4 channel power amplifier (80k) and connect the front three(LCR) which will give you better movie and music performance.

All prices are approximates.

Good luck.

As you have a avr with preout.
There is no point buying a stereo amp and using separate speakers for movies.
Better go for a power amplifier.
As you have a higher budget you can check qsc DCA 1222(50k) or 1622(60k) - 2 channel Power amplifiers
Or even
Qsc DCA 1644 or 1844- 4 channel power amplifier (80k) and connect the front three(LCR) which will give you better movie and music performance.

All prices are approximates.

Good luck.
How good are these compared to crown , emotiva etc?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back