Can 2 Amplifiers be connected to 1 Pair of Speakers?

jay

Hello!

I will like to know is it possible to connect a same pair of Speakers with 2 different Amplifiers?

Reason why I am asking is I have 2 Amplifiers and one of them is connected with my Yamaha Speakers whereas the other Amp remains idle.To make it active I need to invest on another pair of speakers OR can I connect both the AMPs to the same pair of speakers?

Are both the amps of same brand/model?
If so it will be great, you can bi-amp your speakers and thereby double your power.. There should be a marginal improvement, not sure with these speakers though.
You need to connect the LF terminals of speakers to one amp and HF terminals to another (you need to remove the jumper plate).

Went through the link.But will 2 amplifiers get connected with my Yamaha speakers?

See, I am endorsing it conditionally. You have to use switch in power off condition of both amplifiers and your amps are okay to no load operation.

That switch is 4PDT, 15A, ON-OFF-ON( 4 pole double throw toggle switch , 15 A with centre off) kind of switch bought from local electronic stores for 150Rs. It measures 0 ohms at contact and break before make.

Last edited:
Jay said:
Hello!

I will like to know is it possible to connect a same pair of Speakers with 2 different Amplifiers?

Reason why I am asking is I have 2 Amplifiers and one of them is connected with my Yamaha Speakers whereas the other Amp remains idle.To make it active I need to invest on another pair of speakers OR can I connect both the AMPs to the same pair of speakers?

If you intend to connect BOTh amps Simultaneously to the same speakers, with an intention to get more power....

the answer is a Simple NOOOOOOOOOOOO !

The only ways you can connect 2 amps simultaneously is to :

1. Connect one amp and disconnect the other.... ie ALTERNATE between the 2 amps, either by :
i. Disconnecting the speakers from amp A and connecting to amp B
ii. Using a switch to effectively do i). above.

2. IF and ONLY IF your speakers have seperate output connections at the rear for the tweeter and woofer, then you can connect one amp to the tweeter and the other to the woofer. This is called (Horizontal ) Bi Amping.

As abundant warning.... permit me to repeat :

If you intend to connect BOTh amps Simultaneously to the same speakers, with an intention to get more power....

You will blow your amps and probably the speakers too.:eek:

+1 to indianyears

What do you hope to achieve by connecting both amps?

In any case you can not connect both unless you have bi wireble speakers ie speakers with two sets of binding posts. ( 4 binding posts)

Do not attempt to connect both amps to the same binding posts. They are likely to blow

You will blow your amps and probably the speakers too.:eek:

It is like riding on two motorcycles so as to get double the power. One leg on each. You will rip your hip. :eek:hyeah:

I think there is too much confusion happening or I am not able to make understand what my concern is.

Well pls note I have only 1 pair of speakers and I dnt have space to invest in another pair. I have 2 Integrated Amps where various Audio components are connected.

My query is whether I can connect both amplifiers into the same speaker so that I can play whichever music I want to. Please note when one speaker will b ON the other will b put off.

For some time, I had the same issue where I wanted the stereo speakers to double as HT fronts (separate amps) and it was solved with a DIY speaker switch box provided by the dealer. This was similar to what omishra has detailed. There was a certain loss in sound quality but it was a good solution.
Presently, I have separate speakers for HT and HiFi amps.

It is very much doable. Go for it.
If you can give your location, local FMs will be able to guide you to someone who could provide you with such a switch.

Jay, you question is simple, but maybe people did not give answers in a way you will understand.

Let me explain. You can (theoretically) use 'n' number of amps with the same set of speakers - but individually. That is, at any one time, only one amp can be driving the speaker. There are various ways of doing this.

1. Have two sets of cables running to the speakers, one set from each amp. When you want to listen to Amp A, you connect that to the speakers. When you want to listen to Amp B, you disconnect Amp A first, then connect Amp B. This is the safest and the least expensive way. The 10 seconds you spend in connecting and disconnecting will keep your equipment safe.

2. Connect both amps to the left and right terminals of the speakers. Keep Amp A ON when you are using that, and keep Amp B off. When you want to listen to Amp B, you first switch off Amp A, and then switch on Amp B. If you use good quality banana plugs, you can connect two sets of speaker cables without hassle. BUT, there is an inherent danger in this. If, by mistake, you keep both amps on, you can fry the speakers. Even if you do not keep both amps on, the current from one amp will flow to the speakers and from there to the other amp that is off. An amp's output terminal is designed from flow of current in one way - from the amp outwards. There is no saying what will happen when the current flows from outside into the amp.

3. To avoid these issues, you use what is called a speaker switch. You can connect multiple speakers to the same amp, or multiple amps to the same speakers. You press a button to choose Amp A, or Amp B. The switch ensures that the other circuit is completely cut off.

This is the method used by all professionals.

Do NOT connect both amps to the speakers at the same time. It is dangerous.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jay, you question is simple, but maybe people did not give answers in a way you will understand.

Let me explain. You can (theoretically) use 'n' number of amps with the same set of speakers - but individually. That is, at any one time, only one amp can be driving the speaker. There are various ways of doing this.

1. Have two sets of cables running to the speakers, one set from each amp. When you want to listen to Amp A, you connect that to the speakers. When you want to listen to Amp B, you disconnect Amp A first, then connect Amp B. This is the safest and the least expensive way. The 10 seconds you spend in connecting and disconnecting will keep your equipment safe.

2. Connect both amps to the left and right terminals of the speakers. Keep Amp A ON when you are using that, and keep Amp B off. When you want to listen to Amp B, you first switch off Amp A, and then switch on Amp B. If you use good quality banana plugs, you can connect two sets of speaker cables without hassle. BUT, there is an inherent danger in this. If, by mistake, you keep both amps on, you can fry the speakers. Even if you do not keep both amps on, the current from one amp will flow to the speakers and from there to the other amp that is off. An amp's output terminal is designed from flow of current in one way - from the amp outwards. There is no saying what will happen when the current flows from outside into the amp.

3. To avoid these issues, you use what is called a speaker switch. You can connect multiple speakers to the same amp, or multiple amps to the same speakers. You press a button to choose Amp A, or Amp B. The switch ensures that the other circuit is completely cut off.

This is the method used by all professionals.

Do NOT connect both amps to the speakers at the same time. It is dangerous.

Cheers

Worth reading.Thanks.

I still don't understand why you would want to keep switching between two amps just because you have them?

Just find out which sounds better and sell the other one or use it to build a secondary system...

Unless you are a very critical listener being able to identify the different performances of two amps across different genres of music which I believe is quite difficult with the given speakers.

BTW would you care to mention which two amps you have? You may get more appropriate suggestions.

I still don't understand why you would want to keep switching between two amps just because you have them?

Just find out which sounds better and sell the other one or use it to build a secondary system...

Unless you are a very critical listener being able to identify the different performances of two amps across different genres of music which I believe is quite difficult with the given speakers.

BTW would you care to mention which two amps you have? You may get more appropriate suggestions.

I know lots of people who do this including me. I have two sets of speakers for the same amp. I use one for music and the other for watching movies. In the same way, I know of people who use a two channel amp for music, and an AVR for movies, and connect both to the same speaker set.

Irrespective of which amps are used, the suggestion about speaker/amp switch is valid.

Cheers

I know lots of people who do this including me. I have two sets of speakers for the same amp. I use one for music and the other for watching movies. In the same way, I know of people who use a two channel amp for music, and an AVR for movies, and connect both to the same speaker set.

Irrespective of which amps are used, the suggestion about speaker/amp switch is valid.

Cheers

Yes that is one of the most common use of switches (AVR/AMP). Even I wanted to make one at one point of time but preferred to swap speaker cables instead, between music/ movie sessions. Here, I guess here the OP is having two integrated amps ( I presume) and so I was wondering what actually is to be achieved.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back