Can an Audiolab 7000n be used with Marantz AVR for Airplay Streaming

gurujee

I have a Marantz sr6008 Avr for both HT and Stereo usage. Recently, I changed the speakers from pioneer fs52 to QA concept 20 and gained a 30/40% performance improvement. Though I have plan to use an Audiolab 6000a (with Wiim) with the AVR with HT bypass, but currently can’t afford to spend anymore.

However, I was gifted an Apple TV 4K and while tasting Apple Music via Airplay(though it resamples to 48k) i found it has more clarity than my old AVR. I guess, is it for a better DAC inside the newest Apple TV?

So I was wondering if I buy an Audiolab 7000n instead of a WIIM pro and uses its streaming+dac by connecting its analog out to AVR analog in to bypass AVR, will get me improvement? I will ultimately get the Audiolab 6000a in future when fund allows.

I am looking to improve the stereo performance without too many setups.

How were you listening to music earlier ? What was your streaming device ? What was your streaming service ?

From the pics, it looks like Apple TV does not have a DAC. You will be connecting it via it's HDMI out to the HDMI in of the Marantz and the Marantz DAC will be used to do the conversion.

Apple music on Apple TV playing better than your current source is a possibility.

Is @DB1989 nearby ?

How were you listening to music earlier ? What was your streaming device ? What was your streaming service ?

From the pics, it looks like Apple TV does not have a DAC. You will be connecting it via it's HDMI out to the HDMI in of the Marantz and the Marantz DAC will be used to do the conversion.

Apple music on Apple TV playing better than your current source is a possibility.

Is @DB1989 nearby ?
I was directly AirPlaying from my phone to my Avr previously before the Apple TV.

So I was wondering if I buy an Audiolab 7000n instead of a WIIM pro and uses its streaming+dac by connecting its analog out to AVR analog in to bypass AVR, will get me improvement?

From back of my mind I think the AVR will still use its DAC to process even when connected to Analog inputs.
I would advice save and go for Audiolab IA and WiiM Combo.

Apple TV does not have a DAC.
Have you tried connecting Apple TV's HDMI out to your receiver's in and if that sounds better too to you compared internal AirPlay of your receiver? If yes, what is the need of Audiolab?

I have a Marantz sr6008 Avr for both HT and Stereo usage. Recently, I changed the speakers from pioneer fs52 to QA concept 20 and gained a 30/40% performance improvement. Though I have plan to use an Audiolab 6000a (with Wiim) with the AVR with HT bypass, but currently can’t afford to spend anymore.

However, I was gifted an Apple TV 4K and while tasting Apple Music via Airplay(though it resamples to 48k) i found it has more clarity than my old AVR. I guess, is it for a better DAC inside the newest Apple TV?

So I was wondering if I buy an Audiolab 7000n instead of a WIIM pro and uses its streaming+dac by connecting its analog out to AVR analog in to bypass AVR, will get me improvement? I will ultimately get the Audiolab 6000a in future when fund allows.

I am looking to improve the stereo performance without too many setups.

If you are okay with doing a bit of Speaker cable swapping, I would suggest removing the receiver out of the stereo chain altogether. As a stop gap, use a simple dac/amp for now till you get the AL6000a. Something like an Aiyima t9 should do the job in the mean time.

If you want to go via the receiver, then whether you feed it digital or analog, it will use its built in DAC. So all you will bypass is the receiver's built in Airplay receiver. So getting another device with a DAC makes little sense when its job is going to get undone by the receiver.

MaSh

Some information here is incorrect.
Using the analog input of any AV receiver by passes the internal DAC. Its a fully analog chain that goes to the pre amplifier and amplifier section. The DAC part of the circuit is not involved. Thats why the input is called Analog (Eg : CD, AUX, Tape, etc).

I am a bit puzzled how your Apple TV added more quality to the sound. Did you compare like to like music? As in, did you play the same Apple Loss Less content from your phone and did the same comparison with the Apple TV?

The trouble with introducing an Audiolab Streamer into the chain is that you may not get the best out of it. I mean, you will get some improvement, however, its true capability may shine better with an all stereo setup. If you can get a loan from a dealer, try it first. I won't spend >50,000 grand on a Streamer without knowing how it sounds in my chain first.

Some information here is incorrect.
Using the analog input of any AV receiver by passes the internal DAC. Its a fully analog chain that goes to the pre amplifier and amplifier section. The DAC part of the circuit is not involved. Thats why the input is called Analog (Eg : CD, AUX, Tape, etc).
Are you sure about this? The general belief has been that in a Receiver be it any input, the signal goes through the room correction and other filters. This can happen only in the digital domain. Hence an analog signal is converted to digital using an AD converter, processed and converted back to analog via the internal dac.

I would be thrilled if this is not the case. Do share any manufacturer manual or official link on this.

MaSh

The implementation of pure direct mode varies from model to model. In the expensive ones, it cuts off the ADC, DAC, DSP, room correction. Only way to find out is to try pure direct mode with analogue inputs chosen. If the AVR cuts off the center channel and subs, then it means it is actually not using its ADC & DAC stage.

The implementation of pure direct mode varies from model to model. In the expensive ones, it cuts off the ADC, DAC, DSP, room correction. Only way to find out is to try pure direct mode with analogue inputs chosen. If the AVR cuts off the center channel and subs, then it means it is actually not using its ADC & DAC stage.
My Marantz SR6008 does cut off center/sub and others when in pure direct mode. Not sure if room correction is ditched or not though since I did not bother with it.
So introducing a quality DAC is almost certain to improve the sound but the SR6008 is actually no slouch in pure direct stereo mode, I think compared to things offered during that period, the SR6008's DAC section was quite serviceable.

My Marantz SR6008 does cut off center/sub and others when in pure direct mode. Not sure if room correction is ditched or not though since I did not bother with it.
So introducing a quality DAC is almost certain to improve the sound but the SR6008 is actually no slouch in pure direct stereo mode, I think compared to things offered during that period, the SR6008's DAC section was quite serviceable.
Hi Shibashis :)

If the center and sub are being cut off, then I guess the inbuilt dac and room correction dsp is not being used. However, as Ive mentioned, there is no clear cut answer as to which AVR's have a actual analog preamp stage for their analogue inputs. So better to check with marantz itself. And Ive always liked Marantz's musicality in all their offerings. My current AVR is a 6011 which is almost 10 years old. Works a charm for both movies and music. And it sounds musical and unoffending above all else. So it stays :)

Having said the above, a AVR is a swiss army knife with too many compromises when it comes to pure audio quality. Aptly demonstarted by an external apple tv improving on the inbuilt air play. Hence, I would be wary of putting a 50k source through it, if it was my money. Not to say they are poor sounding, my family actually prefers listening to music via the marantz and Qacoustics combo than anything else. But there are limitations to what they can do. As I found out later when I moved to a separate 2 channel system.

However, if one intends to add an additional integrated amplifier with HT bypass in the future. Then it will extract more out of the audiolab streamer cum dac. Infact, before I separated 2 channel duties from the HT and moved to a different room, I was feeding the pre-outs of the AVR to a parasound halo integrated. Which then drove the QA concept 40's. The parasound dac was decent, but I was using a chord2qute to feed the parasound. In the end, the chain got too big for a living room setup. Hence, I sold everything except the marantz and moved on. Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
Hi Shibashis :)

If the center and sub are being cut off, then I guess the inbuilt dac and room correction dsp is not being used. However, as Ive mentioned, there is no clear cut answer as to which AVR's have a actual analog preamp stage for their analogue inputs. So better to check with marantz itself. And Ive always liked Marantz's musicality in all their offerings. My current AVR is a 6011 which is almost 10 years old. Works a charm for both movies and music. And it sounds musical and unoffending above all else. So it stays :)

Having said the above, a AVR is a swiss army knife with too many compromises when it comes to pure audio quality. Aptly demonstarted by an external apple tv improving on the inbuilt air play. Hence, I would be wary of putting a 50k source through it, if it was my money. Not to say they are poor sounding, my family actually prefers listening to music via the marantz and Qacoustics combo than anything else. But there are limitations to what they can do. As I found out later when I moved to a separate 2 channel system.

However, if one intends to add an additional integrated amplifier with HT bypass in the future. Then it will extract more out of the audiolab streamer cum dac. Infact, before I separated 2 channel duties from the HT and moved to a different room, I was feeding the pre-outs of the AVR to a parasound halo integrated. Which then drove the QA concept 40's. The parasound dac was decent, but I was using a chord2qute to feed the parasound. In the end, the chain got too big for a living room setup. Hence, I sold everything except the marantz and moved on. Just my 2 cents :)
Right now for simplicity's sake my music listening is through my old Marantz SR6008, get ready with your pitchforks.....yes, I know!
Wait....let me explain. My Marantz NA8005 handles the streaming duties (Spotify + Apple Music) - digital out to Chord Qutest - Analogue Out to Analogue In on one of the inputs on Marantz - Pre Out of Marantz to HT Bypass input on the Musical Fidelity A5 (A true beast).
So the Marantz is holding the line for Preamp duties for now. Why? I wanted things simple, there are not enough Sundays in a month for enough movie sessions, plus once you have heard the Spendors as the fronts (I tried those as fronts for my HT just for fun.....going back to other speakers was no fun.) you can not go back to your other speakers. So this way I get to enjoy the Spendors for movies and music. The grunt the Musical Fidelity A5 brings about in movies with all of its 250 watts can not be matched by Marantz on its own.

Fellow Kolkata audiophiles have heard what it sounds like and they approve. 🤘

I am convinced that a dedicated audiophile grade preamp with HT bypass will bring about another layer of goodness but this current setup keeps things simple and my soon to be 5 year old can turn things on and if I let him be adventurous enough in one of those moments, he can dare to start playing whatever he sees fit on Spotify (without having to worry about which source and what not)! That is worth a hit on audio quality in my books, he loves the Marantz remote since it controls it all, what else can one ask for!

Father and Son for the win!

Right now for simplicity's sake my music listening is through my old Marantz SR6008, get ready with your pitchforks.....yes, I know!
Wait....let me explain. My Marantz NA8005 handles the streaming duties (Spotify + Apple Music) - digital out to Chord Qutest - Analogue Out to Analogue In on one of the inputs on Marantz - Pre Out of Marantz to HT Bypass input on the Musical Fidelity A5 (A true beast).
So the Marantz is holding the line for Preamp duties for now. Why? I wanted things simple, there are not enough Sundays in a month for enough movie sessions, plus once you have heard the Spendors as the fronts (I tried those as fronts for my HT just for fun.....going back to other speakers was no fun.) you can not go back to your other speakers. So this way I get to enjoy the Spendors for movies and music. The grunt the Musical Fidelity A5 brings about in movies with all of its 250 watts can not be matched by Marantz on its own.

Fellow Kolkata audiophiles have heard what it sounds like and they approve. 🤘

I am convinced that a dedicated audiophile grade preamp with HT bypass will bring about another layer of goodness but this current setup keeps things simple and my soon to be 5 year old can turn things on and if I let him be adventurous enough in one of those moments, he can dare to start playing whatever he sees fit on Spotify (without having to worry about which source and what not)! That is worth a hit on audio quality in my books, he loves the Marantz remote since it controls it all, what else can one ask for!

Father and Son for the win!
Haha...No pitch forks from me :D

I did something very similar in my HT chain. And then down sized to just the marantz AVR. Happy with it for both music and movies, so I can understand where you are coming from. Happy listening :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back