Can I use Sony car HU as amp for Bookshelf

amasoun

I know this may sound weird, but a Sony car HU is 50wx4, has remote control, Bass Treble and Midrange control.
So why cant I hook up it with anything like a TV and then attach good Bookshelf speakers to it.
Of course it will need 12v supply, that can be done with some good 12v adapter.

Yup, its possible, My cousin has some Old Deftec Pro100 Bookshelves attached to his HU and it plays fairly well.

My understanding was that the 52x4 refers to rms output. I was wrong?

That aside, to run a car stereo on conventional power, you need to have a very beefy and good power supply. Using a simple transformer with rectifier and only a capacitor won't be enough. You are certain to get hum and noise.

But its certainly a good idea. The output quality of the car stereos are above average and they have a sub-woofer out too. So book shelf speakers combined with SW will make it a very affordable combination.

Please keep us updated with how you go about it.

best wishes,
Jawed

My understanding was that the 52x4 refers to rms output. I was wrong?

Yes.
Have a look at the datasheet of a car stereo amplifier IC like the (in)famous LA4440. From a 12V(14.4V nominal) supply there is an upper limit to the power you can squeeze out of it - that's why car stereos use 4 ohm speakers. If your speakers are 8 ohm, you'll get less power. The LA4440's THD is within 1% only below 10W or so, and its rated 19W RMS power is at a 10% THD!

Last edited:
So no one has tried this before? I have always wanted an amp that can be operated with a remote and has mid range control.

What sort of power supply (beefy) would I need guys? Can anyone give me any idea?

Is it OK to connect 8 ohm speakers to this Sony HU? Wouldn't it damage HU or speakers?

Yeah, I knew they can't be 50 w RMS x 4. They are around 17 w RMS. But thats not bad either. They can run a 12 inch woofer with decent power. And I am thinking of hooking only 6 inch pair.

^^ if you have an HU lying around, why not.
Else buy one of those mini compo systems. Its the same thing

Nope, you can safely hook up 8 ohm speakers.

you'd need a 3A, preferably 5A supply

Just bought a pair of FS and they were being run off a Car amp. (not HU), it sounded pretty good till a fairly loud volume, until pushed louder when distortion set in. It was a 20W as I was informed.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back