Can PS3 output analog Audio?

Vishal

Can the PS3 output an analog audio signal though the Multi AV connector?

I have read different reports on this: some blogs on the web suggest that the audio signal carried by the Multi AV connector is indeed analog and can be fed to a stereo amp directly (without a DAC).

However, the PS3 online manual says that Multi AV audio should be connected to a "digital" audio device.

Please advise ..

Thanks in advance

I have an old PS3.

I am using all 3 audio outputs from the PS3 (HDMI, Optical and Multi AV) depending on which configuration of equipment I am using

With the Multi AV cable -- the audio signal is connected directly to the stereo amp-- and yes I do get excellent out of my Stereo amplifier-- No DAC

Make sure you go thru the Audio setup menu on your PS3 to enable sound on the Multi AV cable

I have a PS3 and yes it can output analog audio through the multi AV cable, regarding the quality of the audio through the analog out, i would rather not speak about it;)

ThtPro: Thanks! It was exactly what i wanted to know and hear.

LongShanks: Thanks, ditto! Curious about what you left unsaid .. I've heard that the quality of audio out of those Multi AV - RCA is very good. Your experience is otherwise?

I'm going to use existing equipment till I upgrade to a CDP.

Soon to be my signature:
-------------------------
PS3 -> NAD 356BEE -> PSB Image T45 -> yours truly

regarding the quality of the audio through the analog out, i would rather not speak about it;)
I feel the same, before buying Gatorized Caiman, I had done a lot of comparisons between My PS3 HDMI / Optical --> Onkyo AVR --> AVR's headphone out and ST out from PS3, and the first chain would always beat the DAC inside PS3.
Caiman beats them all though.:)
Regards,
sann'

Well...a little late....but I am using the PS3 to stream from a UPnP server and as a DAC feeding analog signal to my Topping TP 20.

However I am using the standard cables that it was shipped with. What do I do if I want to go for better analog cables ?

The DAC inside the PS3 is considered to be decent, but of course not as good as dedicated DACs

I have one experience to share, recently the PSU of my HTPC turned dead leaving me no other apparent option to listen to music, my actual music chain being HTPC?foobar?ODAC?Amp. For some days I was using the PS3 to watch TV shows which otherwise I would use xbmc on HTPC, of course in case of PS3 (which cannot read Network Samba shares directly unlike XBMC or foobar) I have kept a media server Serviio running on my NAS box streaming the video. Lately I connected the PS3 multi-AV cable to feed analogue audio directly to the stereo amp from PS3 and of course kept Serviiio as the media streamer and when I ran it, it was amazing to be the first impression. The level of details was significant, the lows came quite good although the highs were a bit overstressed giving an impression as if the combination is a bit bright (though it is too early to come to a conclusion) but to my surprise the vocals seemed to have an edge over ODAC. I think an A/B comparison with my foobar? HTPC combination would yield better comparison for the record but given that I have not heard my foobar?ODAC music setup for more than a month at a stretch I think the DAC inside the PS3 is not anything below decent. Of course I do see that this temporary PS3 setup has a few advantages with respect to my standard setup as below
1. The job to decode the FLAC is being handled by the media server on NAS instead of the PS3
2. PS3s operating system might be lesser resource hungry than Windows 8 (OS of my previous music pc)

Over the next few days I will have to keep trying for some more option / configuration

Okay 2nd impression, I am eagerly awaiting for my HTPC (and hence ODAC) to come alive, I think the level of details and clarity of voice was a notch higher in ODAC combination. Highs seem to be a bit less lively than with ODAC. Lows are quite good though. Will post more details later once HTPC is restored.

PS3's DAC section is quite okay but a bit edgy and too digital in both vocals and treble. Clean it is and the bass is good. Good LR separation too. Better than my old 200$ Firestone Spitfire MKII but inferior to the modded Assemblage DAC2.

Okay my HTPC is up and running now and got to listen to ODAC again. I must say I was wrong in the first place, ODAC is definitely better in terms of the level of details that it pulls out and also the overall soundstage is better. But then again it costs almost half the price of PS3 and the PS3 at double the price gives Hard Drive, BD capability, controllers, etc. So the difference is understandable. But nevertheless I think for those who have not invested in a DAC so far and has PS3 should definitely try out its analogue out

Unfortunately I do not have a DAC that supports Optical or else would have tried optical out too while using PS3 as only a transport for CD playback. Some of the people have reported that PS3 is quite good as a transport.

PS3's DAC section is quite okay but a bit edgy and too digital in both vocals and treble. Clean it is and the bass is good. Good LR separation too. Better than my old 200$ Firestone Spitfire MKII but inferior to the modded Assemblage DAC2.

I concur now

I did a comparison between the MF VDAC II and the optical out of PS3 ( see this thread ) and found no major difference. See post no 5 in that thread.
Cheers

Sorry seems I missed that nice review but nevertheless I see that we are on the same page. ODAC in my opinion was the clear winner "only" if you make a A/B comparison

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back