Can we connect Active Sub to a HTiB with passive sub?

gman

I am having a LG HTiB which has a Passive Sub: 1 way, 3 ohm, 325 W rated/450 W max.

The Sub is having some problem and I am wondering if I can purchase an active sub and connect to this. I am thinking of moving to a AVR + 5.1 speaker system gradually which would obviously have active sub, but for now I am keen to know if I can buy my Sub (or speakers + sub) first in the process and still be able to connect to this before i buy my AVR.

Here is the link for full details of my HTiB:
LG DVD Home Theater Systems - Model HT924SF

Hi

Where do you connect all the speakers ? On the HtiB unit or the subwoofer? Please click a snap of the rear panel of the player section..then we can help you better...

Most subs have a speaker level input also in addition to line input, so you can connect the subwoofer speaker out of your htib to active sub. But before that make sure that the subwoofer out of your htib is working properly.

Hi

Where do you connect all the speakers ? On the HtiB unit or the subwoofer? Please click a snap of the rear panel of the player section..then we can help you better...

Right now I am outside and hence not able to take a picture, but I can explain in words - each speaker & the sub has two wires connected to the HTiB unit using spring clips with + and - sign.

Most subs have a speaker level input also in addition to line input, so you can connect the subwoofer speaker out of your htib to active sub. But before that make sure that the subwoofer out of your htib is working properly.

Thanks. I think the 'out' part of HTiB is working. My 3 yr old son had floored the sub a couple of times :) and that must have damaged it. LG technician had visited and he had suggested to replace the sub (costs 10K, while a new HTiB of the same model itself is avail in the market at 15.5K now - so no point in replacing that sub). I was more worried about whether technically one can connect an active sub in place of a passive sub, but I am assuming you are saying that technically it is fine to do so.

Hi

Please see a sample found on the net, but is exactly how it is on my HTiB
spring clips.jpg

Yes you can use an active sub but with the following cautions
1. The sub out line from your HTIB may not be possible to be fed directly to your active sub as the former is speaker level input (amplified) and your active sub (which ever you buy) will have a line level (unamplified) input for sub input. If accidentally you feed a speaker level signal to line level input the result can be anything detrimental for both your htib and sub.
2. Most active subs allow feeding separate line level and speaker level inputs for L and R channels separately. This is to facilitate those who does not have dedicated sub out in their system and / or wants to utilize the crossover built into their Active sub if that is better. So your best best will be to buy such a sub which takes speaker level inputs (like my polk DSW 660 has this) and then feed a second set of wires from L & R out from htib to the speaker level inputs in the sub.

Hi gman

As advised by the other forum members, since your HTiB has speaker output terminals, you would need to go in for a subwoofer which has speaker level inputs...the similar speaker connectors would be present on the active subwoofer...connections would be L+R out from the HTiB to inputs of the subwoofer (L+R)...then you can connect the front speakers to output section (L+R) of the subwoofer and appropriately adjust the level.

This feature is present on the JBL SCS 140BK 5.1 satellite speakers which I use at my mom's house....you would need to lookout for a similar subwoofer but you need to check your budget....

Rather than going to buy a new subwoofer....a close friend of mine had an issue with his Sony HTiB subwoofer and the authorised Sony Centre told him since the model is discontinued parts are not available and it would cost him 5k......later the SONY authorised repairer called him privately and told him that he would repair the same within 3k....

What we did was went to Lamington Road with the subwoofer only...and asked the speaker repairer (who repairs raw speaker drivers) to check and recon the same.....the repairer reconed the speaker within 250 and now it is working well...the other option was to purchase a similar watts, impedance speaker, size and replace the same...this would come within 1-2k easily.....

See what works for you.......

Thanks a lot efernand1, will check the repair option as well.

Anyone from Chennai who know a place to get these things repaired? Would really appreciate any pointers. Cheers.

Last edited:
the other option was to purchase a similar watts, impedance speaker, size and replace the same...this would come within 1-2k easily
w24mVL

just a quick update... for some reason the jarring that was there in my sub is now gone. Played quite a few tracks and that issue was nowhere to be seen (heard!). so i am good for now and thanks a bunch for all those who pitched in with their help. Much appreciate it!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back