Car Passive Sub-Woofer for Home use. Your Views Pls

soviet_selva

Hello to All Audio Enthusiasts :)

Please share your knowledge about this: (Kindly Reply considering the fact that i can't spend Rs15,000 or 30,000 for a Sub Woofer as of now)

Can we use Passive sub-woofer made for car at home with sub woofer (Low freq. Amp) amp designed for home Audio?

Models under consideration are: Pioneer TS-WX 301 or Sony XS-LE 121C , the prime reason is these and the allied models come with company made enclosures and cost less than locally available Passive Sub-Woofers. Like the Pioneer one is avbl for Rs 6500 (MRP) and the Sony one for Rs 5990 (MRP).

Now both the above models come with 12" Sub Woofer drive. and have quiet matching Specs for my Amp except for their Power ratings as stated, for eg Pioneer one is rated at 150 W nominal. and they state Max as 1500 or 1200. My Sub woofer Amp is rated as 150 watts Dynamic @ 4 ohms, freq. resp 30Hz to 200Hz. Power consumption of the Amp is 75watts.

Please elaborate your views on this
Thanking you
Selva (Chennai)

Last edited:
Hello to All Audio Enthusiasts :)

Please share your knowledge about this: (Kindly Reply considering the fact that i can't spend Rs15,000 or 30,000 for a Sub Woofer as of now)

Can we use Passive sub-woofer made for car at home with sub woofer (Low freq. Amp) amp designed for home Audio?

Models under consideration are: Pioneer TS-WX 301 or Sony XS-LE 121C , the prime reason is these and the allied models come with company made enclosures and cost less than locally available Passive Sub-Woofers. Like the Pioneer one is avbl for Rs 6500 (MRP) and the Sony one for Rs 5990 (MRP).

Now both the above models come with 12" Sub Woofer drive. and have quiet matching Specs for my Amp except for their Power ratings as stated, for eg Pioneer one is rated at 150 W nominal. and they state Max as 1500 or 1200. My Sub woofer Amp is rated as 150 watts Dynamic @ 4 ohms, freq. resp 30Hz to 200Hz. Power consumption of the Amp is 75watts.

Please elaborate your views on this
Thanking you
Selva (Chennai)

Selva,
What amp do you have with you at present?
Generally, what I have heard is car subs dont work well in home environment mainly because of the change in area of the listening space. I think Cranky had posted in a thread about this. However one of our members has made a passive sub using a Pioneer car sub/driver, which he is using with his htib. Maybe you could get inputs from that thread.

Actually the situation is i have a Onkyo: SL-107 powered Sub-Woofer, but the SL-107 has some prob with the cabinet, even if the Bass part is slightly higher say 30 - 40% volume i hear a bad rattle sound from the box. So i thought of tweaking this Sub by disconnecting the internal sub woofer wiring and connecting the same to the Passive Car Sub (if i buy one soon). this SL-107 i bought on June 2008 from Future Bazaar for Rs 4105/- with Tax invoice. the spec is stated as 150 watts Dynamic, Freq resp 30Hz to 200Hz. resistance of speaker i just guessed will have to check with a multi tester when i open it up.

If you have any further advise on this please do state. :)

Actually the situation is i have a Onkyo: SL-107 powered Sub-Woofer, but the SL-107 has some prob with the cabinet, even if the Bass part is slightly higher say 30 - 40% volume i hear a bad rattle sound from the box. So i thought of tweaking this Sub by disconnecting the internal sub woofer wiring and connecting the same to the Passive Car Sub (if i buy one soon). this SL-107 i bought on June 2008 from Future Bazaar for Rs 4105/- with Tax invoice. the spec is stated as 150 watts Dynamic, Freq resp 30Hz to 200Hz. resistance of speaker i just guessed will have to check with a multi tester when i open it up.

If you have any further advise on this please do state. :)

Selva, you are welcome and call me Titus.

Here s the link to the thread. It s a JBL driver.
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/5468-my-diy-sub-woofer.html

Specs from Onkyo site:
Built-in 150 W Amplifier
20 cm Cone Woofer
Auto-Standby/On Circuitry
Continuously Variable Crossover (50 Hz200 Hz)
Phase Control Switch (0 or 180)
Speaker & Line Level Inputs
GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Response: 30 Hz200 Hz
Impedance: 1.2 k-ohms (Speaker Input Terminal), 65 k-ohms (Line Input)
WHD: 236 x 435 x 396 mm
Weight: 13.0 kg

It seems its a dual 8" driver design. So you might as well look for better 8" drivers.
More importantly, are you sure the rattling is not caused by some problem with the cabinet or the stand?

Last edited:
I have just placed the SL-107 on Floor. Also i have observed that when i press hard over the top of Sub (onkyo:SL-107) the rattling sound stops. Some months back i opened it up to see if its any small projectile (like wire or some plastic part) making the noise i found its not so. Also the European website states as "Two woofers placed in opposite direction" but its not so this Model (Onkyo SL-107) has only one 20CM Woofer.

Dont change the sub, since the problem doesnt seem to be with the sub. Since you are telling that the rattling sound stops on pressing the top of the box, take out the sub from the box and power the sub (dont crank up the volume too much, it can damage the sub) and listen for any kind of rattling sound. If the problem is with the box, then you can fix it by making a replica of the sub box (it may give you a better sound then the existing one, since most of the onkyo sub boxes are made using 12mm particle board)

Dont change the sub, since the problem doesnt seem to be with the sub. Since you are telling that the rattling sound stops on pressing the top of the box, take out the sub from the box and power the sub (dont crank up the volume too much, it can damage the sub) and listen for any kind of rattling sound. If the problem is with the box, then you can fix it by making a replica of the sub box (it may give you a better sound then the existing one, since most of the onkyo sub boxes are made using 12mm particle board)

cmsajith, +1 to that.

Its a Good idea, but getting a speaker box made is equally tough coz there r very few people into making boxes for speaker (i am from Chennai). Thanks i will search. Also had a idea of going out today evening to see if could find good speaker box for 20CM woofer)

Its a Good idea, but getting a speaker box made is equally tough coz there r very few people into making boxes for speaker (i am from Chennai). Thanks i will search. Also had a idea of going out today evening to see if could find good speaker box for 20CM woofer)

Check the thread link I gave you, the member is also from Chennai IIRC. He got his sub enclosure made in Chennai I guess. I think we also have a thread of good capenters for building enclosures in each city, search for that too, if needed.

Dont buy a readymade box, the onkyo sub is designed to get the max out of the sub used. So, if the readymade box is not of the same size (internally), it will perform worse than before. For making a box, try your luck with car stereo installation shops.

i thought for going for a pre made enclosure type sub-Woofer because Onkyo itself has not taken much care to build a sturdy enclosure for their SL-107. So how well a locally made box can handle the kind of sound pressure created by this 20CM Woofer of SL-107? and this Pioneer model TS-WX301 weighs a massive 15Kgs (approx) so i feel being Passive and this heavy means will be sturdy enough to handle the back pressure of Sub. By my observation This 20CM Woofer and the Amp of SL-107 is Very Good but the enclosure lets it down. Also i don't play my music loud i just love the quality of sound. (stated this last line just coz few peoples asked me to reduce the volume and try)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back