Cartridge Alignment - Overhang gauge or Protractor?

peace_sells

Hi guys. I recently bought a Shure M97xe cartridge. There's an alignment protractor included.

Now I've read that some use an overhang gauge (which is specific to the TT, not the cartridge; am i right?) to align carts.

So which one of these two is the better way to setup a cart? Is there any rule as such? Or should i apply both the methods?

Also, say i want to use the overhang gauge. Can I use the one meant for Technics SL 1200/1210 (because the gauge for only these 2 models seems to be available) on a Technics SL 1500?

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I recently bought a Shure M97xe cartridge. There's an alignment protractor included.

Now I've read that some use an overhang gauge (which is specific to the TT, not the cartridge; am i right?) to align carts.

So which one of these two is the better way to setup a cart? Is there any rule as such? Or should i apply both the methods?

Also, say i want to use the overhang gauge. Can I use the one meant for Technics SL 1200/1210 (because the gauge for only these 2 models seems to be available) on a Technics SL 1500?

Regards,
Saket.

Hello!

When using a protractor, the central spindle accuracy is important and placing the protractor can be critical.
On the other hand, an overhang basically measures the stylus to spindle distance so as to ascertain proper geometry on the headshell, which also means proper alignment. The overhang gauge is specific to the TT model. As per my knowledge, the Technics S-arms had the proper overhang at 50.5mm.

BTW, what kind of protractor the cartridge came with? And mind sharing the price for M97Xe & source too?

Last edited:
Hello!

When using a protractor, the central spindle accuracy is important and placing the protractor can be critical.
On the other hand, an overhang basically measures the stylus to spindle distance so as to ascertain proper geometry on the headshell, which also means proper alignment. The overhang gauge is specific to the TT model. As per my knowledge, the Technics S-arms had the proper overhang at 50.5mm.

BTW, what kind of protractor the cartridge came with? And mind sharing the price for M97Xe & source too?

Thanks Saket. I think the central spindle accuracy may not be an issue with the protractor that i have (since its a fresh piece. if there's a manufacturing defect then that i cannot say). Have you aligned it using both methods? What are your experiences? Are the results different?

I bought it on eBay. Shipped it to a friend in New York. He arrived in Bangalore last week. Price inclusive of shipping : 3.7k (got a bit of bargain there i think).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4802275114_695a834d46.jpg

Last edited:
Price inclusive of shipping : 3.7k (got a bit of bargain there i think).

That's a real bargain.:clapping: You got it dirt cheap: Flat out! It will cost more than 8K in India.

I used Stevenson's protractor to align my cartridge. I am fairly satisfied with the result. But haven't checked the overhang to be honest. Also, the Shure protractor is a well accepted norm.

In fact, my evenings at home these days have become hectic. Would you believe that I received 'Unplugged in NY: Nirvana' disc 2 days ago and I haven't spun it a single time:sad:
But will surely check the overhang, at least by a ruler.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
That's a real bargain.:clapping: You got it dirt cheap: Flat out! It will cost more than 8K in India.

Currently I have Audio Technica CN5625AL installed. Sounds pretty good. Just that with some records i tend to get a little low bass (maybe it the problem with the record). However with most others (especially 45 RPMs) the bass returns. So i'll be installing the Shure later on.

Would you believe that I received 'Unplugged in NY: Nirvana' disc 2 days ago and I haven't spun it a single time:sad:
But will surely check the overhang, at least by a ruler.

Regards,
Saket
Oh nice! I like Kurt's vocal performance very much on that..the atmosphere of the whole recording is very nice actually..Even i placed an order earlier this week from a Canadian Record label (War on Music). Should arrive in the 10 days hopefully! :licklips: They had some end of season sale going on (its going on everywhere i think :D).

Btw where did you buy the Nirvana record from? Flipkart?

And let me know how it sounds with the overhang (whether you feel any difference or not).

Hope other users here would give their inputs too.

Last edited:

That's a nice protractor. My M97xE never came with this protractor.

This is a protractor to align the cartridge to the inner and outer null points.

Re-read the manual of your TT model and find out what is the recommended overhang.

Loosen the screws of the cartridge so that they can be adjusted.

Use a mm scale to set the distance between the center of the spindle and the tip of the stylus. This is the overhang. Don't tighten the screws yet.

Now, put the protractor on the TT. The hole on the spindle. Rotate the protractor as required, and GENTLY place the cartridge over the inner null. The lines parallel to the tonearm tube must align to the cantilever. If they are not parallel, gently move the cartridge so that it becomes parallel.

Lift the arm and move the cartridge over the outer null. Rotate the protractor as required. Align like above step.

Go back to inner null and check if it is still aligned. Adjust as required.

Go back to outer null. Check if alignment is off. Adjust as required.

Check overhang again since cartridge has been moved.

You will reach a point where both nulls are aligned, or nearly perfectly aligned.

Congrats, you now have a perfectly aligned cartridge. I assume your tracking weight and antiskating are already adjusted.

I use stupid protractors available at Vinylengine.I think M97xe comes with Baerwald protractor.Technics are align well with Stevenson.I think alignment gauge are well suited for Dj's where fast swapping of cart is required.

Regards,
Sachin

Oh nice! I like Kurt's vocal performance very much on that..the atmosphere of the whole recording is very nice actually..

Btw where did you buy the Nirvana record from? Flipkart?

Yes, bought from Flipkart. Got another one a little while ago: Best of dire straits and Mark KNopfler. Very nice record.

Not a die hard fan of Nirvana, but Kurt's vocal capabilities are unmatched for the type of songs they had on them. A sad & unfortunate end of what could have been a glittering career. This particular album was very different from the sound of Nirvana. I probably don't know of any other Nirvana performances played with acoustic guitars! Also as a matter of fact, this MTV unplugged performance by Nirvana was given in a single take; much unlike unplugged's of other artistes who shared the stage.

The vinyl is 180 GSM, hence I am hoping for some good music out of it.

Do update us on how you like the M97Xe...and the record when you receive it.

Regards,
Saket

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back