Suggestion needed to buy Cartridge Stylus for Technics SL Q-3

ukjeyaraj

I was running my Technics SL Q-3 with unbranded cartridge and stylus(came with TT) until now and it isn't working any more.

I had a spare Shure M44-7 cartridge with its stylus and mounted this now. It's perfectly singing well now.

I am looking to buy and keep another cartridge with stylus and keep it in stock.

Local dealer in Chennai is offering AT3600L (cartridge with stylus) for around 3500. Not sure of its performance or correctness of the price.

Looking for suggestion on brand and model and where I can buy (offline/online)

Kindly help

I was running my Technics SL Q-3 with unbranded cartridge and stylus(came with TT) until now and it isn't working any more.

I had a spare Shure M44-7 cartridge with its stylus and mounted this now. It's perfectly singing well now.

I am looking to buy and keep another cartridge with stylus and keep it in stock.

Local dealer in Chennai is offering AT3600L (cartridge with stylus) for around 3500. Not sure of its performance or correctness of the price.

Kindly help
Hello , the price of AT3600L seems to be correct. I have been using it for my Audiotechnica LP 60 as a replacement cart. I like this cart and stylus combo. But shure cart is definitely better than this AT3600L. As regards new cart and stylus i have read about otrofon and Nagaoka though not sure about the compatibility of those carts to your TT.
Regards

Yes, Bhaskar is right. AT3600l is a very good cart. Along with other expensive carts, I am using 3600l since long. But buy original one from either amazon.in or com. Original comes in Audio technica box. Replica comes in plastic pouch or box. Price of original cartridge is around ₹3500(as you mentioned). Hope this will help

Regards

Kindly help
Among the new generation carts, Nagaoka MP110 is very good. If you are interested in getting Nagaoka, do please DM me. I can connect you to the right people from whom you can get one

Kindly help
Another option would be to invest in a few spare styli for your Shure M44-7. This particular cartridge from Shure was originally intended for DJ use and hence, is so very well built that it is literally bomb proof. I have never known of a Shure M44-7 to fail unless physical damage was caused by the user. I have only ever encountered 2 examples - in one instance, a friend had attempted to solder a wire directly to one of its pins, overheating it and in another instance, a friend tried to force a non-standard stylus into it, damaging its interior. I have some really old Shure M44-7s including some that were formerly abused by DJs and all work perfectly well. Another good and robust model from the Shure stable is the M75 series. Good sounding robust cartridges with the added advantage of being compatible with a larger range of Shure styli.

Ps: It is common for a lot of TTs moving around in the used turntable market in India to sport these unbranded cartridges. They are usually from the likes of Sanyo, National, Hitachi, Sony, Akai, local Taiwanese makes, etc etc with labels removed, or simply after market unbranded low cost replacement cartridges. They usually play well (the sound signatures of course dont match up with the top brands) and last long. But the problem with these are with getting replacement styli.

Another option would be to invest in a few spare styli for your Shure M44-7. This particular cartridge from Shure was originally intended for DJ use and hence, is so very well built that it is literally bomb proof. I have never known of a Shure M44-7 to fail unless physical damage was caused by the user. I have only ever encountered 2 examples - in one instance, a friend had attempted to solder a wire directly to one of its pins, overheating it and in another instance, a friend tried to force a non-standard stylus into it, damaging its interior. I have some really old Shure M44-7s including some that were formerly abused by DJs and all work perfectly well. Another good and robust model from the Shure stable is the M75 series. Good sounding robust cartridges with the added advantage of being compatible with a larger range of Shure styli.

Ps: It is common for a lot of TTs moving around in the used turntable market in India to sport these unbranded cartridges. They are usually from the likes of Sanyo, National, Hitachi, Sony, Akai, local Taiwanese makes, etc etc with labels removed, or simply after market unbranded low cost replacement cartridges. They usually play well (the sound signatures of course dont match up with the top brands) and last long. But the problem with these are with getting replacement styli.
+1 to your opinion about shure 44-7.
And M 55e also a good one.

Any online shop or local chennai store to get replacement stylus for Shure?

Hello friends,

One follow up question on the matter please...where are you guys sourcing the Jico N44 stylus from (for Shure M44-7 cartridge) & the fair price approximately.

Thanks.

Hello Friends, what about the Shure M44G cartridge? Please share your experiences and the ideas about this cartridge. Thanks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back