Cartridge for Garrard SP25 MK IV

vinyldj

Dear all

I have Garrard SP25 MK IV player with unknown cart :) and now i am planning to change the cart. Which will be the one will suit correctly ? Please guide me

Thanks in advance

Vinyldj

Some more knowledgeable people might answer u if u give them some more details like tonearm and headshell. Plus the main thing, ur budget.

We used a Shure M-75-6 MM cart with our SP25, back in the day. The earlier SPs had a single screw cartridge mount and hence needed a adapter for 1/2 inch mount. The SP24 Mk4, I believe has a standard 1/2 in mount. Tracking is between 1 and 5 grams if I remember correctly so most MM carts can be used. Shure carts were always famously paired with these Garrards SP series turntables.

unknown cart :)
Vinyldj

is it a MM or Ceramic cart? any idea? does it look something like this?
19600113deal_b.jpg

Dear sir

Thanks for the reply. Its look like a shure cart but nothing is written on it.I tried M 44-7 cart but i think the weight is too high. Equilibrium balance is not getting.i have a shure M 75 ED cart with me but no stylus. M 55 E will match?

Thanks in advance

Vinyldj

Pictures please - As per the spec, the tonearm should be able to handle the 1.5-3g force required for the M44-7. M55 and M44 are physically identical with the M55 and M75 having even lower tracking weights.

If you need higher weights, you need to get an M44C stylus for M44 body, or an SC35C cartridge, but if you are not able to balance it, am afraid there may be something else wrong

Thanks a lot guys.

Finally i found that the cart is classic 700 with shure ED T2 stylus :)

Please suggest me an alternate shure cartridge

Thanks and Regards

Vinyldj

I have used the following carts on a Garrard SP25 turntable

1) Shure M75-6s
2) Shure M70B
3) Shure M44-7

They were with OEM Shure N-series matching styli.

All work very well. Only the M44-7 can be procured new (other than NOS) as its still being manufactured.

you can get very nice generic Shure M75/M70 styluses from evg jico etc which will be very cost effective - the classic 700 has a very similar signature as the M75, which is the parent of the M97 current cart

Reuben, you missed the N44G :D

you can get very nice generic Shure M75/M70 styluses from evg jico etc which will be very cost effective - the classic 700 has a very similar signature as the M75, which is the parent of the M97 current cart

Reuben, you missed the N44G :D

He's looking to use a Shure or Jico stylus with the classic 700. Would these work?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back