Cartridge Setup - Protractor Question

soulforged

Has anyone used the printable protractors available at Vinyl Engine, Lenco Heaven and other places? Does that work for you? I printed the 'stupid protractor' from VE. They have given a line which is supposed to be exactly 180mm long and indicates if the protractor's sizing is correct. I tried printing it from 2 printers but always get 178mm :(

Is the choice of Baerwald or Lofgren depend on your preference or TT/Tonearm?

I am planning to get a protractor and a force gauge. Any recommendations? Thinking of MoFi geodisc and an el cheapo electronic gauge from Amazon.com. Most of the gauges there max out at 5g...would that be enough for all kinds of tonearms and cartridges?

Thanks!

When printing, change print scale from the default 100% to 101% or 102% and measure the printout again. You're very close but exact is better in this case.

Which geometry to choose depends on the geometry of your tonearm.

You can also download Keith Howard's Arm Geometer application and you can print your own protractor.

But two point protractors cannot help set correct over hang. You can make a simple overhang protractor. Draw and arc with diameter same as your arm effective length. You don't need to draw full circle. Small arc is enough. Draw smaller, concentric arc. Distance from big to small arc must be same as your over hang. Draw long line passing through the centre of these circles/arcs. Punch hole big enough to accommodate spindle at THE INTERSECTION OF inner arc and long line. Place it on top of record, with spindle inserted into the hole you just punched. Don't spin record. Align straight portion of tone arm to the long line and gently drop the needle. Loosen cartridge screws. Adjust overhang so that needle tip coincides with outer arc.

After this process, re-check that null points are still aligned. If not, re-align. It needs some patience as you're trying to align along two dimensions in one go. And don't break that cartridge;)

Hi soulforged : I have used Stupid Protractor from VE, it works fine for me

i have attached the pdf , make sure you select the size option to "Actual Size" ... please refer the attached screen shot

Regards

Tanoj

Last edited:
Thanks Joshua, will do as advised for the overhang.

Tanoj, I did print at 'actual size' and then at '100%' but got the same result i.e. 2mm less. Will try 101% and 102% as suggested

Thanks Joshua, will do as advised for the overhang.

Tanoj, I did print at 'actual size' and then at '100%' but got the same result i.e. 2mm less. Will try 101% and 102% as suggested

You have to uncheck "Fit to size" in printing window. I always get correct size print.

Regards
Sachin

I have taken print out of Accutrac protractor . It works fine for me . But I always check the over hang of the tone arm also after using the Acutrac Protractor for 9 inch tone arms.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back