CD Quality audio in DTH?

hifimusic

When DTH was launched the oft quoted line was - "DVD picture quality and CD quality audio".

While I find the picture clarity on my BIG TV very good, the audio seems to lack clarity. Tried routing the audio through my Sony CD player system.. Audio is certainly better than hearing through TV speakers of course, but sound is nowhere near CD quality.

Suggestions/Comments?

When DTH was launched the oft quoted line was - "DVD picture quality and CD quality audio".

Suggestions/Comments?

This statement of DTH provider is technical & based on bitrates similar to DVD/CD.
We must consider Q of settopbox here.Low Q STB can't process hifiway.
We even dont know which DAC for audio & type of video processor.

While I find the picture clarity on my BIG TV very good, the audio seems to lack clarity. Tried routing the audio through my Sony CD player system.. Audio is certainly better than hearing through TV speakers of course, but sound is nowhere near CD quality.

Suggestions/Comments?

are u using the spdif out of the set top box?
from the analog outs of the stb dont expect any sort of quality,useful only for tv speakers

Yes Iam using SPDIF. BIG TV Set top box doesnt have analog outs.Also has component out.
No analouge outs? Not possible .. can you post photoes . An 0.1% of buyers have SPDIf hardware no sense in marketing!!!

Also I got one image of new STB and it clearly shows analouge 2 channl out ( L&R) so your stb is different than this?

Ana out is there,I have checked there STB personally & not everyone has Digital amp for audio.

Suggestions/Comments?

Really? :lol:

Play a well mastered DVD on a good upscaling DVD player and you will know...

Video/Audio Quality of most DTH operators well below DVD/CD mark.

My BigTV STB (installed Aug/2008) has Component Video, Composite Video+Audio only, no CoAx/Optical Audio out.

If we route this thru an AVR/Amp and check the signal info (bit rate etc.), will that give an idea of the Audio quality?

Its nothing more than a marketing gimmick...

The picture quality is definitely not DVD quality. To check it out, watch a movie on HBO or Star Movies and then watch the same movie on a Region 1 DVD. You'll see the difference immediately. Also, most of the transmission is full screen while DVD's are mostly in widescreen mode.

Last edited:

Suggestions/Comments?

Maketing BS

Sound is not near CD quality not even DVD quality!~!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi All,

Is the content of a Channel in DTH service is different from that of a Cable TV ? Can any body explain the path between a Particular channel (ex: HBO) and the end user via DTH and Cable TV?

While I find the picture clarity on my BIG TV very good, the audio seems to lack clarity.
Obviously no one at any of these DTH companies has ever seen or heard a DVD on even a half decent system, or they would never make such a ridiculous claim. The picture quality of none of the DTH service providers even comes close to the quality of even a Indian DVD let alone a good Hollywood DVD. That statement is only represantative of the technical capabilities of a DTH system.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back