CD racks

shyamv

Hi,

I am looking for leads for manufacturers of CD racks, someone who can ship to Bangalore. I can't really find anything suitable online.

Thanks,
Shyam.

Hi Shyam,

Are you looking for wooden or metal ones. The designs available online are not that great. Maybe better to fabricate from a knowledgeable person. Found some links.

Fortunately the one in the attached images was procured from Bombay Store in fort area, Mumbai years ago. The design is simple & elegant & can be fabricated.

Regards,
Nitin

Attachments

• rack01.jpg
    rack01.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 71
  • rack02.jpg
    rack02.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 69
Hi Nitin,

Thanks for your response. I will take a look at the links.

I have around 2000 CDs packed in cartons. I would prefer wooden racks with a shutter as it is difficult to keep out dust in open racks.

I like the design of your CD racks. I will have to find someone who can fabricate something similar in Bangalore.

Thanks,
Shyam.

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for your response. I will take a look at the links.

I have around 2000 CDs packed in cartons. I would prefer wooden racks with a shutter as it is difficult to keep out dust in open racks.

I like the design of your CD racks. I will have to find someone who can fabricate something similar in Bangalore.

Thanks,
Shyam.

Thanks and most welcome Shyam. For 2000 CD's, a proper big rack would be required. There are some wooden ones in the links.
The metal ones can be fabricated by the Aluminium sliding window people or those making window grills.
I had seen very good cd rack designs by IKEA years ago in Dubai but they don't have them here.

Regards,
Nitin

Thanks and most welcome Shyam. For 2000 CD's, a proper big rack would be required. There are some wooden ones in the links.
The metal ones can be fabricated by the Aluminium sliding window people or those making window grills.
I had seen very good cd rack designs by IKEA years ago in Dubai but they don't have them here.

Regards,
Nitin

I know the IKEA Gnedby cd shelves you are referring to. Is it this one?

I had got 10 of these for $20 each in US and had them lined up against one wall in the living room. Very cost effective and looked nice too. A pity I had to get rid of these when I moved back to India. Ikea does not sell them anymore.

I know the IKEA Gnedby cd shelves you are referring to. Is it this one?

I had got 10 of these for $20 each in US and had them lined up against one wall in the living room. Very cost effective and looked nice too. A pity I had to get rid of these when I moved back to India. Ikea does not sell them anymore.

The Ikea racks were quite similar to what I have now & were very reasonable. It's always good to have shutters on the rack to prevent dust.

@ shyam
When I started my cd collection many moons ago, I designed the rack on the right and had it built by a local carpenter in blore

c1.jpeg

As the collection grew, I kept buying these readymade bookcases and installing glass shelves to hold more discs. You can see one of the shelves in the middle right section.

c2.jpeg

Finally, when the collection reached 1500, I designed these custom racks and had them built at home. I, too, was worried about dust, hence the glass doors.

c3.jpeg

c4.jpeg

With a collection of over 2k discs, it probably makes sense to just make one giant rack. Of course, space permitting. Since these hold only CDs, they don’t have much depth and don’t intrude too much into the room. Do let me know in case you’d like me to share dimensions.

Attachments

• c2.jpeg
    c2.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 6
  • c4.jpeg
    c4.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
I designed my CD storage shelfs and got them made (2 nos.) from a carpenter in teak wood and ply. I didn’t go for a shutter as I didn’t want any obstruction between me and the CDs - wanna feel them directly (like my books too - the book shelf is a much larger version of the same design). Don’t mind the frequent dusting (once in a month suffices) - anyway the CDs are in cases.

B592B4F2-6E3C-492B-A065-4F1169C9610C.jpeg

Also, I designed to keep the CDs vertically arranged and maximise space utilisation. One, it allows easier retrieval and placing back as compared to horizontal storage. Secondly, I prefer to glance an entire range from left to right than up down (better suited when you have a vertical CD rack than a horizontal one like mine).

I am particular about how I arrange the CDs - they are kept alphabetically as per artist under each genre. I place bookmarks whenever I remove a CD so keeping it back in its place is easily done.

@ shyam
When I started my cd collection many moons ago, I designed the rack on the right and had it built by a local carpenter in blore.

View attachment 48719

As the collection grew, I kept buying these readymade bookcases and installing glass shelves to hold more discs. You can see one of the shelves in the middle right section.

View attachment 48720

Finally, when the collection reached 1500, I designed these custom racks and had them built at home. I, too, was worried about dust, hence the glass doors.

View attachment 48721

View attachment 48722

With a collection of over 2k discs, it probably makes sense to just make one giant rack. Of course, space permitting. Since these hold only CDs, they don’t have much depth and don’t intrude too much into the room. Do let me know in case you’d like me to share dimensions.

Edit: sorry about the twisted pix! Can’t get anything straight these days :)

Thanks. These designs look good.

I designed my CD storage shelfs and got them made (2 nos.) from a carpenter in teak wood and ply. I didn’t go for a shutter as I didn’t want any obstruction between me and the CDs - wanna feel them directly (like my books too - the book shelf is a much larger version of the same design). Don’t mind the frequent dusting (once in a month suffices) - anyway the CDs are in cases.

View attachment 48724

Also, I designed to keep the CDs vertically arranged and maximise space utilisation. One, it allows easier retrieval and placing back as compared to horizontal storage. Secondly, I prefer to glance an entire range from left to right than up down (better suited when you have a vertical CD rack than a horizontal one like mine).

I am particular about how I arrange the CDs - they are kept alphabetically as per artist under each genre. I place bookmarks whenever I remove a CD so keeping it back in its place is easily done.
Thanks Sachin. These is a nice design. I was hoping for an 'off the shelf' cd rack, pun intended! It now seems like I have no option but to get a bespoke rack made.

Thanks Sean. I have around 2000 CDs and storing it in pull-out draws won't be very convenient and will take up a lot of space.
Can CDs be stacked vertically, like books?
If so, I can give you a couple of cost effective ideas that even a newbie carpenter can implement.
Best if you have a wall hang the rack and display the CDs.

Cheers,
Raghu

If so, I can give you a couple of cost effective ideas that even a newbie carpenter can implement.
Best if you have a wall hang the rack and display the CDs.

Cheers,
Raghu
Yes, vertically is the way I prefer to store it. As I said, I was looking for a readily made product. Given my other priorities, I will not be able to commission a bespoke one anytime soon .

Last year I made these two birch ply CD racks. Each accommodates around 500 cds.
Size is 4 ft by 2 feet with 6" deep. Material used, one sheet of ( 4×8 ft) 12mm birch ply and 3mm ordinary marine ply sheet for back side. No need of veneer as birch itsef has a nice grain. Teakwood patti for front side.
I think I need few more ;)

Please don't do it. It's a real pain extracting a CD from the bottom of a stack. Due to insufficient space in my pull out drawers I'm forced to stack at least 400 CDs and it can be very inconvenient when removing a CD.

On an unrelated note, CD jewel cases are surprisingly strong. They don't crack due to the weight of the CDs on top even when stacked high.

Please don't do it. It's a real pain extracting a CD from the bottom of a stack. Due to insufficient space in my pull out drawers I'm forced to stack at least 400 CDs and it can be very inconvenient when removing a CD.

On an unrelated note, CD jewel cases are surprisingly strong. They don't crack due to the weight of the CDs on top even when stacked high.
@jls001
The idea is exactly like how @shafic has implemented.
CDs arranged like books (arranged side-by-side)
I should not have used the term stacked.

Anyways OP wants ready made solution.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last year I made these two birch ply CD racks. Each accommodates around 500 cds.
Size is 4 ft by 2 feet with 6" deep. Material used, one sheet of ( 4×8 ft) 12mm birch ply and 3mm ordinary marine ply sheet for back side. No need of veneer as birch itsef has a nice grain. Teakwood patti for front side.
I think I need few more ;)

That’s some collection!

If you mean like what you see in my post above, yes. I feel it makes the retrieval and placing back in position much easier than when arranged as a horizontal stack.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back