CD Ripper plus Storage

oracle1974

Can someone recommend a good stand-alone CD ripper plus storage? 1TB of storage is adequate for my needs.

Thanks in anticipation.

Can someone recommend a good stand-alone CD ripper plus storage? 1TB of storage is adequate for my needs.

Thanks in anticipation.
Depends on what functionality you want and also budget dependent. Ideally you can use an external drive to rip using dbpoweramp ( free trial for 21 days ) and then add tags through mp3 tag etc. But this will be tedious, depending on how many CD's you want to rip. Innuous and melco offer all in ones with ripping and tagging functionality albeit at a higher cost :)

I persoanlly never found the need to rip CD's. I like spinning them in a CD player or just stream what i dont physically have. If there is an album that I really love, and cant find a CD or SACD, then we can buy and download from the net apparently.

Edit : A proper CD player will in most cases outclass a rip played through a digital streamer and dac. Okay...now that I've said it....I will go get my fire blanket.

I have CD±dvd recorder LG brand
Thanks Mahi for your response. I am looking for ripper with storage.
Depends on what functionality you want and also budget dependent. Ideally you can use an external drive to rip using dbpoweramp ( free trial for 21 days ) and then add tags through mp3 tag etc. But this will be tedious, depending on how many CD's you want to rip. Innuous and melco offer all in ones with ripping and tagging functionality albeit at a higher cost :)

I persoanlly never found the need to rip CD's. I like spinning them in a CD player or just stream what i dont physically have. If there is an album that I really love, and cant find a CD or SACD, then we can buy and download from the net apparently.

Edit : A proper CD player will in most cases outclass a rip played through a digital streamer and dac. Okay...now that I've said it....I will go get my fire blanket.
Thanks for your response. Let me explain my requirement better. I am not open to taking the tedious option of ripping CDs using a cd ripper s/w.

I have a very good CD Transport and DAC. I wanted to try a good streamer. I have an Arcam rplay and want to try a better streamer precisely for listening to new music or CDs which I do not possess. Also the thought of having ripped CDs for listening seems to be a convenient thought as well. So I was looking for streamer with a built-in ripper + storage - server plus streamer.

My DAC has coaxial inputs and AES inputs. No USB inputs. I don’t wish to use a USB to SP/DIF and AES converter.

My criteria is to have a good streamer and with a good app. I don’t intend to use ROON.

I have zeroed in by reading reviews Innuos Pulse streamer and using Innuos Zenmini S as the ripper.

Pulse has SP/DIF and AES outputs.

So the plan is to buy the Pulse now and later add the Zenmini. Now evaluating cheaper options for a ripper than the Zenmini and hence my query. Nothing is bought as of now and hence to open to suggestions.

Thanks again!

Mod's Note:
Back to back posts have been merged. Multi-quote back to back posts in a single post to reduce clutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response. Let me explain my requirement better. I am not open to taking the tedious option of ripping CDs using a cd ripper s/w.

I have a very good CD Transport and DAC. I wanted to try a good streamer. I have an Arcam rplay and want to try a better streamer precisely for listening to new music or CDs which I do not possess. Also the thought of having ripped CDs for listening seems to be a convenient thought as well. So I was looking for streamer with a built-in ripper + storage - server plus streamer.

My DAC has coaxial inputs and AES inputs. No USB inputs. I don’t wish to use a USB to SP/DIF and AES converter.

My criteria is to have a good streamer and with a good app. I don’t intend to use ROON.

I have zeroed in by reading reviews Innuos Pulse streamer and using Innuos Zenmini S as the ripper.

Pulse has SP/DIF and AES outputs.

So the plan is to buy the Pulse now and later add the Zenmini. Now evaluating cheaper options for a ripper than the Zenmini and hence my query. Nothing is bought as of now and hence to open to suggestions.

Thanks again!
Thanks for the detailed reply. All clear now :)

Below are some rippers I've seen around :

1) Zen mini and mini S.
2.) Cocktail audio.
3) Melco have the option of connecting an external drive for ripping, and they have the added advantage of automated backups to a connected external drive. They also have dedicated Lan port to feed the streamer with a noise filtered Lan port.
4) Hifi rose have external ripper to rip to their streamers if we add storage to them.
5) Aurender also have a ripper offering.

But only innuous and melco are known for their ripping, tagging and library management chops though.

I got a dedicated streamer with the idea of adding a server later. But after using a optimised network cable, Iam really happy streaming tidal. Unless the tidal track is poor in quality, otherwise they are sounding really good. Iam of the opinion, that with further network optimisation and probably some external clocking, Iam hopeful that I can bridge the gap between local CD playback and streaming. So thats the route I've decided to pursue. Just sharing my 2 unsolicited cents :D

Thanks for the detailed reply. All clear now :)

Below are some rippers I've seen around :

1) Zen mini and mini S.
2.) Cocktail audio.
3) Melco have the option of connecting an external drive for ripping, and they have the added advantage of automated backups to a connected external drive. They also have dedicated Lan port to feed the streamer with a noise filtered Lan port.
4) Hifi rose have external ripper to rip to their streamers if we add storage to them.
5) Aurender also have a ripper offering.

But only innuous and melco are known for their ripping, tagging and library management chops though.

I got a dedicated streamer with the idea of adding a server later. But after using a optimised network cable, Iam really happy streaming tidal. Unless the tidal track is poor in quality, otherwise they are sounding really good. Iam of the opinion, that with further network optimisation and probably some external clocking, Iam hopeful that I can bridge the gap between local CD playback and streaming. So thats the route I've decided to pursue. Just sharing my 2 unsolicited cents :D
Thanks for your views. The path that you have taken also makes sense for me to adopt.

Thanks for your views. The path that you have taken also makes sense for me to adopt.
Thanks....That encouragement is enough to get me started :D

I presently have about 850 GB of flacs and DSD's on a western digital My cloud 4 TB drive which also acts like a Nas. I have this plugged into my router in the living room. And both the lumin and cambridge azur streamers in different rooms identify and stream this content without issues. The Azur's search time is below 3 secs and lumins below 1 sec for any track or album. And indexing times from first start-up is also very quick. This WD thing has spinning HDD's inside, so could be a little noisy upon first start up. But hidden inside the media console in the living room, it is completely quiet.

From my research on the Net, the VFM in both the Innous and Melco servers is in feeding them direct to a Dac via a Usb or coaxial cable. Using them just as server for an external streamer is not the most VFM option. The same money invested in a optimised network switch like a melco S100 or Sotm or PheonixNet seems to be delivering clear benefits. And c;locking this switch again seems to have noticable benefits. I think for the price of the Zen mini + external power supply, both the above can be accomplished, and it might be a worth while improvement in my books.

I recently added a Sotm DCBL Cat-7 between my router with LPSU and the Lumin streamer, and the noise reduction was very evident. There was remarkable improvement in tone colour and a slight uptick in clarity too. It is suggested to have a switch between the router and the streamer, so that is something I will try next. Considering my own findings with my baby steps into network optimisation, I think there will be benefits in this approach.

I have been a die hard advocate of CD playback. I have a esoteric that sounds stunning on CD''s and SACD's. But the addition of the lumin, network optimisations and power conditioning has really reduced the delta between CD's and Tidal. Now I dont even bother playing Flacs or DSD's from my network drive anymore.

Having said the above, Iam curious about the newly launched Lumin L2, which is an optimised network switch and a SSD server. It apparently supports plex too. There is very little on it at the moment in terms of reviews, so holding onto my horses at the moment. If not the Lumin, then any other network switch is definitely on the radar for me.

Bluesound Vault 2 has ripper, storage and streamer. 2tb storage.
Thanks for your suggestion. I don’t have use for the DAC and nor does it have have AES/SPDIF outputs I think.

After inputs received here and some research at my university end, I would like to go for a pure streamer for now. Landed cost of the Innuos Pulse fits well in the budget that I have in mind.

432evo model high end server also seems attractive and has in-built CD ripper but comes at a higher price and sees to be more suited for Roon users. It does not have AES/SPDIF outputs.

Metronome DSS2 is a product which fits my requirement but at a much higher landed price. It also seems to be more suited for ROON users.

The product that ticks all the boxes is Aurender N20 but at a very high price.

This will be a blind purchase. Only based on reviews and inputs from various fora such as HFV.

Check out Cocktail Audio too as suggested above.
They have a few variations.

Thanks for your suggestion. I don’t have use for the DAC and nor does it have have AES/SPDIF outputs I think.

After inputs received here and some research at my university end, I would like to go for a pure streamer for now. Landed cost of the Innuos Pulse fits well in the budget that I have in mind.

432evo model high end server also seems attractive and has in-built CD ripper but comes at a higher price and sees to be more suited for Roon users. It does not have AES/SPDIF outputs.

Metronome DSS2 is a product which fits my requirement but at a much higher landed price. It also seems to be more suited for ROON users.

The product that ticks all the boxes is Aurender N20 but at a very high price.

This will be a blind purchase. Only based on reviews and inputs from various fora such as HFV.
I would recommend the Innuous pulse too. The Dr.Sean jacob power supply is superb , so is the sense app. Plus you have the option of using it as a roon end point in the future if you want that flexibility which the Aurender does not offer. And if you are patient for another 2 years, the next gen zenith line servers will be launched. And we can lap up used innuous zen's and zenith's for a reasonable price then :)

I would recommend the Innuous pulse too. The Dr.Sean jacob power supply is superb , so is the sense app. Plus you have the option of using it as a roon end point in the future if you want that flexibility which the Aurender does not offer. And if you are patient for another 2 years, the next gen zenith line servers will be launched. And we can lap up used innuous zen's and zenith's for a reasonable price then :)

Zenith / zen series ( excluding Zen mini) is ruled out as they do not have AES/SPDIF outputs.

Pulse first then network switch Phoenixnet is the route to be taken.

Zenith / zen series ( excluding Zen mini) is ruled out as they do not have AES/SPDIF outputs.

Pulse first then network switch Phoenixnet is the route to be taken.
I was referring to your original query about getting a cd ripper and storage :)

Both the zen and zenith can slot into that role, though I agree that a network switch of some sort will be the first priority.

I was referring to your original query about getting a cd ripper and storage :)

Both the zen and zenith can slot into that role, though I agree that a network switch of some sort will be the first priority.
Noted. Having a standalone streamer seems now a better route to take as I already have a very good transport and DAC . Zen mini preowned at a throwaway price can be something to consider later. These are my thoughts for now based on inputs and own research.

Aurender Music Server and Eversolo-A6 or A8 (comes with additional 2TB to 4TB PCi SSD options). Both can rip and store inside.

Aurender Music Server and Eversolo-A6 or A8 (comes with additional 2TB to 4TB PCi SSD options). Both can rip and store inside.
Thanks.
Aurender Music Server ACS10 and ACS100 do not have AES / SPDIF outputs and hence not considered. Besides the high price is another hurdle and will also need to buy a converter to use with my DAC.
Eversolo has storage but not accessible to external streamers nor do I want to use its internal DAC.

Other options like Grimm U1 are far too expensive for me to buy.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back