Center Channel Replacement for Logitech Z5500

hanscau

Hello, I was recently gifted a Logitech Z5500 with it's sub-woofer and front LR channel speaker. Understand that the system need the center channel speaker to sound good enough but can't really find a second hand center channel on sale. I'm thinking of just using a different center channel instead but not so sure what to look out for with the spec. Need help with knowing what to look out for.

Spec of speaker:
  • Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)
  • Center: 69 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
  • Rear Left & Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
  • Total Peak power: 1010 watts
  • Maximum SPL: >115 dB
  • Frequency response: 33 Hz - 20 kHz
  • Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog
  • Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100
  • Input impedance: 8,000 ohms
Does it mean I can use any speaker with an 8 ohms impedance? Or there is more to it than that. Also what happens if I use a speaker that have a larger wattage (like 120w) will it affect anything?
Much thanks :)

Hello, I was recently gifted a Logitech Z5500 with it's sub-woofer and front LR channel speaker. Understand that the system need the center channel speaker to sound good enough but can't really find a second hand center channel on sale. I'm thinking of just using a different center channel instead but not so sure what to look out for with the spec. Need help with knowing what to look out for.

Spec of speaker:
  • Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)
  • Center: 69 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
  • Rear Left & Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
  • Total Peak power: 1010 watts
  • Maximum SPL: >115 dB
  • Frequency response: 33 Hz - 20 kHz
  • Amplifier: Ultra-linear, high-capacity analog
  • Signal to noise ratio: >93.5 dB, typical 100
  • Input impedance: 8,000 ohms
Does it mean I can use any speaker with an 8 ohms impedance? Or there is more to it than that. Also what happens if I use a speaker that have a larger wattage (like 120w) will it affect anything?
Much thanks :)
Hi,
It's not like AV receiver have much power to drive external centre channel speaker
Better to go with the same brand if possible .
You can test with other model centre if you can get from your nearest friends before to buy it.

Just read specs as -10W for LR ch 20 something watts for sub into 8 Ohms at 0.1% D
You can connect any speakers with 8 Ohms, Sensitivity above 89dB. Bigger the cone size, more mass of air moved , so anything between 4"-6" full range for LR ch
Don't pin your hopes too high as this 2.1 is made for a particular price point

I have an Z906 and Z2300 which uses similar drivers (speculated to be tang band)
my understanding is they are 69W or so. It is a flagship (in the computer speaker category)
the original drivers are crap and aimed at gamers rather than serious listening . Get a decent 2 way speaker and it will be a significant improvement - I am not using the stock satellites from my Z906 or Z2300. Ideally use it as a pure sub - the sattelite outputs are high passed, and the output from the built in amp isnt that great either

I have had my Z2300 driver almost catch fire during a party because it had a very powerful amp section from the Z2200 but they put a smaller sattelite to reduct costs. It overheated and melted, and eventually started to smoke. The pole piece was incredibly hot and and i burnt my fingers.
I ultimately got a set of Z2200 speakers, eventually used it as pure sub with an NAD 3020 and a philips hiq driver pair

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back