Center Speaker

dango

Hi Friends,
I am really impressed with the knowledge and passion I see in you folks.
I have recently done a stereo setup with Onkyo 606 and Kef iQ7.
For this, I auditioned Wharfedale 9.6, MA BR5/6, MS Avant 904, Klipsch RF 52/62, Jamo C405/607, ELAC 127, Dali Ikon6 and Kef iQ5,7,9. I listen to hindustani classical and ghazals. So wanted solid vocals and highs. Tried Kef reviews in this forum but didn't get much. During BangaloreAVshow got a good deal on KEfiQ7-40K. In fact wanted to settle for iQ9-55K but got confused with the power rating of iQ9 (200W@8ohms) onkyo 606 is 175 @ 6 ohms (90w@8ohms). I also talked to Onkyo Chief Lokesh and he also suggested to go for little lower speakers - something like 100 watts @ 8 hms. Settled for iQ7-150w@8ohms thru Bi-amping option so I guess this is perfect from the power matching standpoint. Please suggest me on a good center and sub. I would like to restrict my budget to 20 K each. Liked wharfedale9.CM-18K. Kef center iq60C is little over my budget26K and the power rating is 150W@8 ohms so not sure whether it will be a mismatch.

Thanks, Dango

The front L/C/R are suggested to be timbre matched which means that they have to belong to the same family including the drivers that are being used. I am not familiar with the iQ series so I would suggest to speak to the retailers and look for centers that have same drivers.

One thing that is seldom written but has great potential is that you could use a third speaker similar to L/R to be your center. This gives the best effects in my experience. my HT system is setup in a similar fashion though instead of using a third floor stander, I am using a bookshelf as the center.

So you have couple options to look for.

Re: subs, you should be looking for powered sub that has atleast 8-10in drivers. They can be from a different manufacturer than Kef.

The constraint I see is your budget. Go with a step wise enhancement and spend money on a sub and then go for the center and listen in stereo until then. It the better upgrade path.

Hi Friends,
I am really impressed with the knowledge and passion I see in you folks.
I have recently done a stereo setup with Onkyo 606 and Kef iQ7.
For this, I auditioned Wharfedale 9.6, MA BR5/6, MS Avant 904, Klipsch RF 52/62, Jamo C405/607, ELAC 127, Dali Ikon6 and Kef iQ5,7,9. I listen to hindustani classical and ghazals. So wanted solid vocals and highs. Tried Kef reviews in this forum but didn't get much. During BangaloreAVshow got a good deal on KEfiQ7-40K. In fact wanted to settle for iQ9-55K but got confused with the power rating of iQ9 (200W@8ohms) onkyo 606 is 175 @ 6 ohms (90w@8ohms). I also talked to Onkyo Chief Lokesh and he also suggested to go for little lower speakers - something like 100 watts @ 8 hms. Settled for iQ7-150w@8ohms thru Bi-amping option so I guess this is perfect from the power matching standpoint. Please suggest me on a good center and sub. I would like to restrict my budget to 20 K each. Liked wharfedale9.CM-18K. Kef center iq60C is little over my budget26K and the power rating is 150W@8 ohms so not sure whether it will be a mismatch.

Thanks, Dango

Thanks Marsilians.

Any particular model you suggest for the sub?

I am not too sure how to audition just a sub becuase it will be played with others speakers and judging sub may not be easy.

Would you share your thoughts on power matching as well. Kef center is 150W@8 ohms whereas my amp is 90@ 8 ohms.

Friends,

I need your inputs here.

I want to take a decision this weekend itself. My question is that can I go for a center 150W @ 8 ohms with Onkyo 606 - 90w@8ohms?

If not what is the max wattage I can go for and what are your recomendations for a decent 20K center which will match with my setup.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Marsilians.

I am not too sure how to audition just a sub becuase it will be played with others speakers and judging sub may not be easy.

Would you share your thoughts on power matching as well. Kef center is 150W@8 ohms whereas my amp is 90@ 8 ohms.
Hi dango

I am not about the pricing for the Kef. So whats your budget for the sub?

Speaker and AVR wattage matching is one of the most confused aspects in AV discussions.

Speakers don't supply power. So their wattage ratings indicate the max power you can feed them without causing problems. There are lot of other variables to consider including impedence, efficiency, THD, room size, listening habits, etc. As a rule of thumb look at the efficiency which indicates the power requirements (Wattage) to produce certain level of sound (SPL). Higher efficiency is desirable as it impies less load on the AVR.

AVR wattage is also one of the most misrepresented in the documentation and have many, many caveats built into it. Onkyo is one of the more conservating companies and tend to deliver around 70% of their stated specs. There are some brands that dont even perform at 50% of the stated ratings.

Bottom line is you can buy speakers with higher wattage than the AVR.

Friends,

I need your inputs here.

I want to take a decision this weekend itself. My question is that can I go for a center 150W @ 8 ohms with Onkyo 606 - 90w@8ohms?

If not what is the max wattage I can go for and what are your recomendations for a decent 20K center which will match with my setup.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Marsilians

If Onkyo delivers less than what they claim (90W @ oohms) say 75 W@ 8 ohms then putting a speaker double the rating would be an overkill.

One more point, is it OK to pick a 2 way center for a 3 way floorstander (same Kef driver). I would be setting up HT in my bedroom 15x12.

I guess this power rating etc. doesn't come into play for active sub as it is powered, right?

Please suggest some good sub @ 20K.

hi dango!
you must go for the kef iq series center so that voice transitions along the fronts and center dont sound different.

Thanks Marsilians

If Onkyo delivers less than what they claim (90W @ oohms) say 75 W@ 8 ohms then putting a speaker double the rating would be an overkill.

One more point, is it OK to pick a 2 way center for a 3 way floorstander (same Kef driver). I would be setting up HT in my bedroom 15x12.

I guess this power rating etc. doesn't come into play for active sub as it is powered, right?

Well friend,

All front 3 spk shld match.Now you have aready chosen/bought? Kef.
So pls check continuous power rating of the Centre you told.
If it can handle 150 w,chances are that it can have less continuos power ratings.
eg.My Tannoy F1 needs 25 to 70w amp
continuous power 50w
Max power handling 100w.

So check that.If it has rating 70 to 100,you need not have to wonder.
Sub can be from other brand like Wharf.

Thanks

I will find out the continuous power handling and then take a decision.

On Sub, which is better - front or downfiring. Usage is mostly hindustani classical and movies during the weekend.

How is Whar SW150 priced @ 18K?

Nothing wrong in picking 2 way center. However the problem is in ensuring it matches seamlessly with L/R speakers. This is not impossible but very hard to achieve simply because you never always sit exactly opposite to the 2 way speaker.

My HT set comes with default 3 & 5 way centers that are placed horizontally. I auditioned it and hated it since it sounded weird for off axis listening. So I ended up getting a bookshelf within the same family as hte center. It is installed vertical rather than horizontal and was pretty easy to tune.

If you have an option go for a vertical center rather than a 2 way horizontal. Also like I said before a third speaker similar to L/R is not a bad option at all esp. since you are looking at bookshelves.

Also your room size is not accurate as you have to provide the lenght X width X height values. I have seen most people provide 2 of the 3. There is nothing one can do with these.

Thanks Marsilians

Thanks Marsilians.

Look at Polk, Klipsch, and other brands at Sumaria to get an idea. The prices can be bargained a bit here and there if you go to an audio store.

http://sumaria.co.in/index.php?cPath=45_74_80&page=1&sort=3a

has more details.

Thanks

My room size is 15(W)x12(L)x10(H) ft. Viewing/Listening distance would be 13ft.

I am going to audition both sub and center with different combinations today, not sure whether they sell bookshelf as a single piece, normally they come in pair.

I am quite clear on Sub now and pick the one which sounds better.

One more question, can I use my existing bookshelves (a pair) as center - by connecting them thru bi-wiring as a temporary solution. They came with Pioneer VS99 mini system. Rating wise pretty OK- 130W@6ohms.

This is in case I have budget constraints as Kef is @ 26K.
Once again - you guys are too good :)

You cannot biwire centre ch as AVR dont have that facility.
I dont know whats in your mind?
You can use BS spk as centre.

Not sure what you mean by bi-wiring. You could definitely use an existing as center but the sound dynamics will be very different than the L/R speakers. Note that all vocal and dialogues come through from the center speaker. If you dont like the sound, then you can definitely watch in 'Stereo' mode till such time you can buy a center.

I am speaking for myself here - I have a decent system for HT and music and very happy with their performance. However it took many years, sacrifice, patience, savings and desire to buy them over a period of time. I have changed brands a few times during the process. So don't feel rushed to go into debt or cut corners on essentials to invest in HT. It should always be your second or third options in your budget.

Thanks

My room size is 15(W)x12(L)x10(H) ft. Viewing/Listening distance would be 13ft.

I am going to audition both sub and center with different combinations today, not sure whether they sell bookshelf as a single piece, normally they come in pair.

I am quite clear on Sub now and pick the one which sounds better.

One more question, can I use my existing bookshelves (a pair) as center - by connecting them thru bi-wiring as a temporary solution. They came with Pioneer VS99 mini system. Rating wise pretty OK- 130W@6ohms.

This is in case I have budget constraints as Kef is @ 26K.
Once again - you guys are too good :)

Thanks Marsilian.

You are right that one should not rush and compromise.

Good news is that I got a Kef matching center Q9c which is delivering fantastic vocals - 2 way and I also got a good deal on sub - Kef PSW2010 (which comeas as HT package 2005 but they sold it separately). 250 W downfiring.

Now I am done for both music and movies.

As you rightly suggested I will not rush for surround and use my bookshelves for some time and later go for DiPoles.

I sincerely thank this forum for agile and solid inputs.

For those interested in buying CD/DVDs, Reliance TIme out (Cunningham Road) has some real good offers going on. Universal CDs buy 1 get 1 and lots of others.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back