centre speaker

krishnamurthy

I was proposed a different brand of centre channel speaker to pair with FS speakers. I always thought they need to be the same brand. However, a different school of thought is that they can be of different brands but to use the same drivers. How can a customer match the same drivers of different brands?

The most basic thing here is to match the voice or sound which comes out from the centre speaker with the fronts. This is known as "Timbre Matching".
As each and every brand of speakers are different in their sounding, mixing them with different brands will produce different sound signature and will not be appropriate.

So, best to match the speakers with their own brands and category for the best possible sound.

Well that's my opinion, then it really matters on personal preference.

I think the centre is the most important in the HT setup, and also the most over looked and under rated.
You have a good sub and a good center you can almost ignore all the rest.
I have a preference for the larger sized - 5" woofer atleast, and a soft dome tweeter.
I have also had a great experience with ribbon tweeters in the center.
I also have had good experience with a down firing 6X9 woofer + 2 5" and a softdome configuration like was in my AR.
Also there are some Klipsch and a few other speakers that are sold in pairs as fronts that could double as a center. I think its a klipsch 2.2

Cool.
srinath.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back