Cera Base delights

G401fan

One of the fun - and also occasionally exasperating - things about analog is the number of things you can tweak to improve the sound: tonearms, cartridges, plinths, mats, lubricants, and so on. Finally it sounds only as good as the weakest link in the chain. Most commercially available TTs have their own support footers, many of which do not affect sound quality one way or the other, or so it would appear. If you make a DIY plinth, you have the option of fitting your own isolation supports, and there are many exotic footers out there which either serve to couple or decouple, one is never sure which. My own two TTs have plain and simple teak wood hollow box plinths which seemed to offer reasonably good sound with options of footers that I've tried - brass spikes, hard rubber cubes - but nothing seemed to make more than a minor impact. Till recently.

Managed to snag 8 discounted Cerabase footers (see pic) in the 'For Sale' section from Soundfoundations. Did not have high expectations, soundwise, just thought they'd look a lot neater and cooler than my previous rubber cubes. The impact was astonishing. Every LP I've played since sounds like something I've not heard before. Bass quality is amazing, with every note of bass guitar clearly articulated, what was often a trifle muddied earlier. The mid range and treble sound cleaned up, with new instruments emerging out of the mix. One can tick off all of the audiophile cliches, something that I'm otherwise loathe to do. This impact was across both TTs, equally, though they have different arms, cartridges and plinth thickness. For someone who's normally a sceptic of many the claims made for these devices, I've become a true believer. Strongly recommended to anyone interested in considering such products. (Disclaimer: no affiliation with the seller).

Since my TTs are suspension-less, all micro vibrations and resonances are either absorbed or reflected back from the plinth, which would be impacted by the footers. Not sure if the same effect would be felt with suspension turntables, like most belt drives. But maybe worth checking out.

Attachments

• g401.jpg
    g401.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 99
Defies gravity it appears. Pic is upside down, kindly rotate and reload.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back