Cheap amplifier suggestions

archat68

Hello FM
I'm looking for a good quality but cheap (<10k) audio amplifier. For this I'm even ready to go for diy route. I'm proficient in diy but not very active since last 10 years, so not quite aware of the recent scenarios.

My requirements is to drive a pair of bookshelf speakers like with 75w with moderate volume.

While looking for diy kits and pcbs I came across the VOLT+ D - DOUBLE Dual mono Volt Amplifier which looked good to me. With the PS it will cost around 7k.

Anyone has experience with this? The Allo volt on the other hand cost will cost max 3k If I add a cabinet and PS.

Any other suggestions for a cheap but good amp including the DIY route?

Hello FM
I'm looking for a good quality but cheap (<10k) audio amplifier. For this I'm even ready to go for diy route. I'm proficient in diy but not very active since last 10 years, so not quite aware of the recent scenarios.

My requirements is to drive a pair of bookshelf speakers like with 75w with moderate volume.

While looking for diy kits and pcbs I came across the VOLT+ D - DOUBLE Dual mono Volt Amplifier which looked good to me. With the PS it will cost around 7k.

Anyone has experience with this? The Allo volt on the other hand cost will cost max 3k If I add a cabinet and PS.

I really liked their approach of using a stepped attenuator, speaks "volumes" about their choice in other critical components. Go for it!
@75W , chip amps are out of question

Last edited:
Hello FM

I'm using the cheaper Allo Volt + amp. For the price it is good.
Volt + D has great reviews online so is Aiyima a07 amp available on Amazon.in - they should be able to drive your bookshelf just fine for moderate listening levels.

Hello FM

Consider this in your shortlist

Just about comes within your budget and having used its ilk in the SMSL DA8S and SMSL DA9, i can safely recommend them as pretty darn competent. They sound balanced and clean with no apparent exaggeration of any particular frequency and do not suffer from the overt "glassiness" that some budget Class D amps possess.

Consider this in your shortlist

Just about comes within your budget and having used its ilk in the SMSL DA8S and SMSL DA9, i can safely recommend them as pretty darn competent. They sound balanced and clean with no apparent exaggeration of any particular frequency and do not suffer from the overt glassiness" that some budget Class D amps possess.
Yes. It's a good choice. I'll consider it along with the allovolt+d

Is this an integrated amp? Confused due to volume control and remote? If so how would it work as an power amp - with 2 volume controls at the pre and power? Do you maximize the volume at this unit? and control system volume with pre- amplifier?
Cheers,
Sid

I recently acquired aiyima A07 and D03. A07 not tested yet but D03 is awesome. Sounds good and power is adequate. Its an IA with subwoofer pre-out, BT Aptx, USB, RCA inputs. Also available on HFM@ 14K. Little over your budget but appears worth it.
Has remote and small LED display on main unit.

I recently acquired aiyima A07 and D03. A07 not tested yet but D03 is awesome. Sounds good and power is adequate. Its an IA with subwoofer pre-out, BT Aptx, USB, RCA inputs. Also available on HFM@ 14K. Little over your budget but appears worth it.
Has remote and small LED display on main unit.
That's interesting. But unfortunately oos in HFM. The Smsl Da6 is good contentender I think.

Since you are from kolkata, you can try this one. Haven't heard this particular model but heard other models and they are quite good. Don't go by this gentleman's funny-Hindi. He is a seasoned tech. Contact him and tell him about your requirement, I'm sure he will definitely help you. You can also visit his place (Naihati, near Kolkata) and listen to his products.

You can also checkout SMSL and Sabaj amps on HiFi-express.
I recently ordered a SMSL A100. It was delivered in less than 2 weeks.

Hello FM

The Volt amplifier you have mentioned is hardly clean 50watts in 4 ohms. Nothing wrong with that but your requirement is 75w. If you are ok with low power you can look at Gtechaudios.com LM3886 which is clean ~38w in to 8 ohms and around ~68w in to 4 ohms. When I bought it couple of years back gtech had mentioned they had genuine IC. which was later removed. They also have other amp modules. see if it interests you. No affiliation to seller. take informed decision. Which speakers you are using ? If they are sensitive you wont need much power.
regards

Thanks everyone for your reply. I didn't get any notification from this thread.
@Amitkg I've contacted the guy. Although I'm from Kolkata, I'm at present posted at Delhi.
@Hiten I'm thinking more about a tpa3255 based one. Getting a genuine lm3886 nowadays is a concern. A Delhi based company called salson also advertises a lm3886 based board on their site. Don't know whether the chip is genuine

Thanks everyone for your reply. I didn't get any notification from this thread.
@Amitkg I've contacted the guy. Although I'm from Kolkata, I'm at present posted at Delhi.
@Hiten I'm thinking more about a tpa3255 based one. Getting a genuine lm3886 nowadays is a concern. A Delhi based company called salson also advertises a lm3886 based board on their site. Don't know whether the chip is genuine
Sorry I thought the volt you mentioned as having tpa3116. tpa3255 has good reviews.
regards.

Was this sarcasm?
No, not at all. I really liked their stepped attenuator approach, no expensive uber volume pots can compete with the almost perfect tracking of a stepped attenuator. I have stopped using carbon pots in all my builds, that's why I liked this approach

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back