Cheap but good USB dac

square_wave

Hi all,

What is a cheap alternative to the Dac magic ? It should sound good and do assync through the USB. This is for a friend who want to interface it between his laptop and Audio engine A5. Currently he has connected the headphone out of the laptop to the inputs and it sounds quite bad. Cheap for him is below 8k.

Nuforce UDAC2 square . I thk rallynut has one though he has the UDAC 1 the 2nd version has an improved headphone amp. You can check with iaudio and rallynut regarding the product.

Square_wave, udac is a very good product especially for the price you pay. However it wont equal your entry level cdp in sq esp I find the bass to lack a bit of control. If your friend uses it for hps, its pretty good except for power hungry sennheissers or akgs.

Edit: the udac 2 is supposed to iron out some of the negatives.

Last edited:
for sure it is a brilliant piece of kit to my ears,but again,"for the money".very small,well built,a very decent headamp section as well.it is a little forward in signature,but very pleasant at that.for someone using it as an interface for laptop based music like me,the rca out is a great plus.just that it delivers a 2vrms signal only at full vol though :rolleyes:.cheers

case in point:the audio technica m50's that i use are supposedly a bit recessed in the mids.driven by the nuforce udac1,they sound brilliant.hell,even my radius ddm.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back