Cheap headphones

frnd08

I'm currently using creative HS 150 ones, which are okay but start hurting my ears after some time. will the philips SHL 5000 be a significant improvement over this or is it in the same category as the one i'm using?

please help.

Last edited:
What's your budget?

I'd recommend taking a look at Sennheiser (if in your budget).

I'll leave the more "audiophile" recommendations to others more experienced in headphones.

What's your budget?

I'd recommend taking a look at Sennheiser (if in your budget).

I'll leave the more "audiophile" recommendations to others more experienced in headphones.

thanks. well these earphones are in the range of around 800 bucks. i'm unwilling to spend more to be honest and i really doubt if sennheiser will be worth the investment in this range. just want to know if these phillips ones are worth it. or at least if they are a significant improvement of the ones i'm using now.

Last edited:
You should check out the Creative EP630. Well worth the money. you get them for around 800 itself.

I have been using them everyday for over 2 years and find them very comfy.

People like "soundmagic" as well. i bought them.. but didnt like them much at all.

i think the EP630 should be your best bet :D

cheers!

You should check out the Creative EP630. Well worth the money. you get them for around 800 itself.

I have been using them everyday for over 2 years and find them very comfy.

People like "soundmagic" as well. i bought them.. but didnt like them much at all.

i think the EP630 should be your best bet :D

cheers!

thanks. just checked, infibeam has them, for around 800.

i'll tell u why i'm a bit interested in the phillips ones, here: NDTV Gadgets: Headphones buying guide

ep630 are goos.. look for jvc marshmallow as well.. will fit your budget.

neways was not clear.. you looking for headphones/earphones/IEM ??

for ep630 and marshmallow's are IEM...

thanks. just checked, infibeam has them, for around 800.

i'll tell u why i'm a bit interested in the phillips ones, here: NDTV Gadgets: Headphones buying guide

besides few shows that deal with reviewing cars ...lets say just few of them only will tell you what is a better buy on the basis of how it performs and not what the specs on paper are... same goes with the electronics...

most of the shows will not recommend you headphones on how they sound but how it looks on paper..

check for few other threads about headphones here and head-fi and i believe the experts over there will provide you the best advise if its only for headphones...

however as you are limited on budget. we i have provided options that can be looked forward for but dont buy anything uncomfortable to wear for you running short of budget rather give it some more time . increase your budget by a bit if nothing suits at this given time...

besides few shows that deal with reviewing cars ...lets say just few of them only will tell you what is a better buy on the basis of how it performs and not what the specs on paper are... same goes with the electronics...

most of the shows will not recommend you headphones on how they sound but how it looks on paper..

check for few other threads about headphones here and head-fi and i believe the experts over there will provide you the best advise if its only for headphones...

however as you are limited on budget. we i have provided options that can be looked forward for but dont buy anything uncomfortable to wear for you running short of budget rather give it some more time . increase your budget by a bit if nothing suits at this given time...

thanks mate. headphones will do for now since i'm looking for something to plug in to my laptop, the current creative hs 150 i'm using are terrible; they effin hurt my ears, both internally and externally! so i've decided to go for the cheap-ass one, the philips, it cant possibly be worse than what i'm using. i'll be buying earphones few months later. hopefully i'll have enough dough to get hold of a klipsch s4. (the current samsung ones supplied with the i9003 suck big time)

appreciate all the help.

I'm currently using creative HS 150 ones, which are okay but start hurting my ears after some time. will the philips SHL 5000 be a significant improvement over this or is it in the same category as the one i'm using?

please help.

The HS150 is not a headphone is meant for voice over IP applications and will definitely not perform as well as a true headphone. In addition to Philips I would also look at Koss KSC7, Panasonic HS46E, Panasonic HT161E, Audio Technica ATH-EQ300G, ...

You can also check Skullcandy i heard they were good but not taste till date as my Klipsch serve me better . . .

You can also check Skullcandy i heard they were good but not taste till date as my Klipsch serve me better . . .

Skullcandy headphone are marvelous in look and awful in sound.
some month back i have checked their model ranging 1800/- to 4K+. non of them can even be compared with the default headphone comes with my X10i.
The 1200/- Iball sounds better then those.

you can try Sennheiser, or kross /AKG if budget permits.

Are you looking for headphones or IEMs?

If you are looking for headphones, then I have no idea.

As for budget IEMs, JVC Marshmallows, EP630 and SoundMagic PL11 are the most recommended from what I've seen. I've heard the first two and they are decent for the price, but I am not a fan of either. In the IEM world, about $30-50 can get you very decent to good sound quality and that is where you can find the best 'bang for the buck' IEMs. Unfortunately, local availability is an issue for most of them.

Just remembered. These, despite the usual head-fi hype machine, seem to sound good going by Joker's review. However, shipping is costlier at $30+ than the IEM itself :p

Last edited:
thanks for all the help folks. i did eventually get myself the philips ones, these are pretty decent to be honest. great lows, and okayish mids and highs and pretty comfy too. for 800 bucks i guess thats the most i can expect.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back