Checked YAMAHA YHT196 today...

Naveenbnc

Hello all,

Today I checked YAMAHA YHT196. The sound was awesome for action movies. But I am a little less impressed by the way it played the bollywood and westren songs. Is it due to the sound settings?( I agree i did not checked all the preset sound settings, and my opinion can be wrong. ) Any taughts/Suggestions please....

How would you say compare the F&D setup you own to YHT 196? say how did it compare for movies and music?

Hi Naveen,

If you got blown away with the entry level system from Yamaha....imagine what would the next level systems and brands would offer....I am sure the F&D is now miles below....

If you consider a Yamaha AVR / Pioneer AVR....you can get another brand of speakers and perhaps the experience will be a little more enriching....

Most of us over the decade have owned and sold various systems....have even learnt the bitter way....lost money...mixed feedbacks etc.......

The best advice we can offer is visit various dealers and audition as much as you can to get an idea and they decide what you want based on what budget you can allocate...

Hi Naveen,

If you got blown away with the entry level system from Yamaha....imagine what would the next level systems and brands would offer....I am sure the F&D is now miles below....

If you consider a Yamaha AVR / Pioneer AVR....you can get another brand of speakers and perhaps the experience will be a little more enriching....

Most of us over the decade have owned and sold various systems....have even learnt the bitter way....lost money...mixed feedbacks etc.......

The best advice we can offer is visit various dealers and audition as much as you can to get an idea and they decide what you want based on what budget you can allocate...

Hello tuff, Im not at all comparing F&D to Yamaha bro... Its like comparing Maruti alto to Skoda Octavia. Im observing YHT196 alone in isolation. When I listened some hollywood action sequences its absolutely awesome!!! But when playing music, i felt it could have been a little more better. May be settings issue i guess though.... Does it have different modes of music? Please help me...

Hi

Yamaha avrs come with dsp modes....you can also adjust the bass + treble to get better sound....there are quite a number of YHT196 users on HFV and they are very happy.

Check the Pioneer or Onkyo entry level setups too

Hello all,

Today I checked YAMAHA YHT196. The sound was awesome for action movies. But I am a little less impressed by the way it played the bollywood and westren songs. Is it due to the sound settings?( I agree i did not checked all the preset sound settings, and my opinion can be wrong. ) Any taughts/Suggestions please....

It depends on songs codecs.If you play mp3, sound quality will be poor.Use lossless and you may like.

Secondly movie demo clips come with special sound effects and surely you like those.:)

Hi,

This is the drawback of many of the HTIBs, not specific to yht196.
Yes, for movies it will perform well.
Also please note that YHT196 has only passive sub.

Hello all,

A dedicated stereo amp is usually better. Marantz avr are usually thought as musical. Denon yamaha and sony AVRs are regarded as generally good for movies. Onkyo are rich on the features front however highs are generally harsh. These are broad generalizations at the lower end of the speactrum.

Personally I have an assortment of diy amps, norge 1000, Denon 1070, yamaha rx675 with qacoustics 2010, wharf diamond 10.1 and Elac uni fi speakers.

Hello all,

Home theater are designed primarily for movies, hence music is always a compromise, no matter which brand receiver you buy. The final choice is yours, get what sounds best to your ears at your budget.

@Naveenbnc, Speakers are most important part of HT specially for music. For best music listening experience consider good Floor-standing speakers with better bass extension(approx 30Hz). Also most Bollywood or other music albums are recorded with very less LFE or even without LFEs, so music on small speakers with sub may not sound great.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back