Checking Audio Optical Cables

jmascreen

Is there a way to test Audio Optical Cables? I can see red light at one end.
I have tested the sockets at AVR and with another cable and its working.

Last edited:
Unless you really mishandle or bend a optical cable, they will never break down. It is noting but a hollow tube. The only way to test it is to use it and see.

There are other ways to test, but that needs sophisticated and expensive equipment.

Cheers

Is there a way to test Audio Optical Cables? I can see red light at one end.
I have tested the sockets at AVR and with another cable and its working.

Just checking that the red light is visible at the other end shows that some light is passing through the cable (it may be complete transmission or just a small amount of light). Its presence means that the cable 'may be' working. If there is no light passing through, then it is dead for sure.

Check it with the audio signal and if everything works then it is fine. If not, it is dead.

It's a solid fibre, most often made of a kind of plastic. Yes, it is pretty sturdy, but too much bend can and does affect it's light carrying ability. I thought I had broken one once, but it was just the box had got pushed back and there was too tight a bend.

HI All,

I have run my hand from one end to another end and removed the bend and now its working.

Thanks all for suggestions.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back