Checking DSD format in my Marantz Blueray player.

Hari Iyer

My Marantz Blueray player will turn 6 months shortly and I have been using them 90% of the time playing music CD and MP3 files and 10% watching movies.

I am looking to explore SACD in this player and this player support DSD format via HDMI port. So how do I connect that as DSD format is not available on Coaxial Digital or Analogue o/p. If I need to connect to HDMI, then I can route that through my VU TV, and from the VU TV feed the optical output to my other DIY external DAC. My external DAC support DSD I/p via coaxial/ optical and USB inputs. Does this connection make sense? curious to know.

Btw, I still have to lay my hands on good SACD software for this testing .

Thanks for looking.

You need to play dsd files directly through PC to your external dac
The marantz won't do it for you
You can play a SACD from the marantz player and connect it to your amp from the analogue out
Being a universal player it should play SACD by it's analogue outs

Thanks Rikhav. The Marantz converts dsd to pcm before doing the DA conversion. This is more to do with licensing issues with Sony for them to do this. For this very reason DSD stream is not available on the SPDIF output. The DSD stream is available only through the hdmi port.

I just wanted to check the SQ with dsd format. I don't have any SACD as of now to do this test.

@Hari Iyer : one clarification --- how do you plan to play DSD file on your player?

Please note that SACD is different from DSD or DSF. DSD and DSF are file formats. Of course one can also rip SACD discs to ISO images and certain DVD and Blu-ray players will happily play the images.

So will your player play DSD via USB input, or can the disc drive play it from a DVD disc that contains the DSD file?

I think most SACD are recorded in DSD format. I am not sure if it plays in disc or through usb, but it can stream DSD only through hdmi. I have asked for some SACD / DSD format music and can confirm once they are with me.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back