Chennai FMs with 2.1 setup with Rel sub

Mayank Shah

Hello,, reaching out to all Chennai FMs who have a 2.1 setup with a Rel sub. Or a Rel sub on a HT setup. Iam thinking of Rel 9i only if it is going to be a certain upgrade over the SVS SB 1000 which i have now. Thanks in advance.

Hello,, reaching out to all Chennai FMs who have a 2.1 setup with a Rel sub. Or a Rel sub on a HT setup. Iam thinking of Rel 9i only if it is going to be a certain upgrade over the SVS SB 1000 which i have now. Thanks in advance.

Rel T9i should be a definite ugrade over the SB1000 since the former is at a much higher level in the T-series chain where as the latter is the first entry level Sub in the SB series. T5i would be comparable with the SB 1000.

I have a pair of Rel S2 subwoofers, they were a higher model then the T9i before they got phased out.
TBH i still feel for HT use the SVS might still go lower then the T9i for certain LFE tracks.
Where the T9i will be superior then the SVS SB1000 is in music. Guess you have to choose what you want,
do you want rattling window frames & super deep LFE in movies or decent LFE in movies but a subwoofer which disappears when playing music.
Thats how i see them both in comparison.

Cheers.

It's in a 2.1 setup along with Dynaudio M20 BS. Mainly for music. Once in a while, movies and TV content. SB1000 is a good sub per se. But both 9i and 1000 are rated 300 watts.

I listen to music at moderately low volumes at nights. Since the M20 rolls off at 50hz, so keeping sub XO around that and touch higher. Since they are driven by line level from Poweramp, I have to crank up the gain on the sub to almost full to get some feel from it at lower volumes.

If 9i is also 300 watts, wouldn't it be a same issue?

It's in a 2.1 setup along with Dynaudio M20 BS. Mainly for music. Once in a while, movies and TV content. SB1000 is a good sub per se. But both 9i and 1000 are rated 300 watts.

I listen to music at moderately low volumes at nights. Since the M20 rolls off at 50hz, so keeping sub XO around that and touch higher. Since they are driven by line level from Poweramp, I have to crank up the gain on the sub to almost full to get some feel from it at lower volumes.

If 9i is also 300 watts, wouldn't it be a same issue?
Well Rel T9i should be connected by the High Level input. Read about it online on Rel's website. It connects to the amplifier speaker terminals directly & then to the Subwoofer amp. So basically you then tune the XO on the Rel & then create a perfect blend of bass as you like. The sub will just disappear & i feel an increase in the mid range as well. Tuning it for your 2.1 set up will take time & patience but will pay dividends. Rel has a speaker pairing link on their website to suggest which subwoofer you should choose for a better match. Here is the link-

I can see the T9i is listed for your dyne's.

Cheers.

I have the t/9i singing with my magnepans. Superb. I don't do h/t so no idea about the booms and trouser rustling, the musicality and tuneful bass is however delectable.
ciao
gr

REL T5i user here.
For music listening at low volume levels, big woofers are better. So, REL T9i would work well. Like others have suggested, you can choose REL for pure music listening, and keep in mind that REL subwoofers can't go as deep as SVS or Rythmik, neither sound powerful, produce chest pounding bass. But they excel in blending better to main speakers, they are fast and matching to any modern day speakers is easy too.
Yes, REL recommends high level/speaker level connection, where you take the sub input from the same front speaker binding posts. They argue, this is essential for the sub to work in synergy with speakers, this will eventually prevent us from supplying more power to the sub. Unlike other subs, REL does disappear most of the time, as others have pointed out.
FM @raghupb has a REL T9i, who was helpful in my journey of setting up T5i.

Last edited:
Thinking of buying REL T7x for Music , can any members in Chennai guide me where can i audition or buy in Chennai?

Bought REL T7X , for music purpose only.
Can any Chennai members guide me what is the optimum settings?
Phase , high level frequency cut off etc?
amp musical fidelity M6i, speakers Monitor audio .

Bought REL T7X , for music purpose only.
Can any Chennai members guide me what is the optimum settings?
Phase , high level frequency cut off etc?
amp musical fidelity M6i, speakers Monitor audio .
wow!! audio Nirvana after included REL T7X in the chain.
not window rattling Bass , but pure enjoyable bass, + main speaker liberated from some burden.
totally musical sub woofer.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back