Choosing an HDTV - What's important and what's not

All electronics heat up,but its more in a plasma then lcds.
Lcd are all passively cooled these days,where as plasmas still need active cooling.

The plasma heat rises with the increase in amount of white or light color shade.When the screen is showing a bright white color this is when the plasmas heat and power consumption are at their highest.Some plasmas manufactures restrict the tvs brightness capability or let the tv decrease in brightness as the APL(average picture level) increases.
The tv calculates the APL level which in turn controls the ABL(automatic brightness limiter) which decreases the brightness.

@Ramak

Armed with this knowledge and ownership experience, what would you buy today if you were to get a TV? The 42X20/C450 for 35-37k or 42V20 for ~60k? That should help people take a wise decision.

P.S: You should stop somewhere. Researching & researching after getting the TV of your choice will only make your feel bad. There are no perfect TVs around. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
@Ramak

Armed with this knowledge and ownership experience, what would you buy today if you were to get a TV? The 42X20/C450 for 35-37k or 42V20 for ~60k? That should help people take a wise decision.

P.S: You should stop somewhere. Researching & researching after getting the TV of your choice will only make your feel bad. There are no perfect TVs around. Take it or leave it.

I agree with Blasto....to much research only adds to delay in decision making. i personally am totally confused now what to buy....50PK550 or 42V20 or 60PK50 or 50V20 .......now am thinking to wait for next year models...

@Ramak

I'd buy 42X20/C450 if my budget were 35-37K or a 42V20 if my budget were 60K. I don't know how that's gonna help people make wise decisions. :-?

Last edited:
@Ramak

Thanks for your advice but I've stopped my research long back (in fact, I've stopped checking HFV often too) and I'm obviously happy with my TV. Actually, I've said something very similar to your statement in my first post itself.

I agree with Blasto....to much research only adds to delay in decision making. i personally am totally confused now what to buy....50PK550 or 42V20 or 60PK50 or 50V20 .......now am thinking to wait for next year models...

Dude, you should settle on the size first. 42-60 is a huge range!

Dude, you should settle on the size first. 42-60 is a huge range![/QUOTE]

Mate, my current budget is Rs 1 Lac hence the confusion....have a POHD hence no plans of buying a BD player..

Higher altitudes or not, there are some members who find that their plasmas heat up quite a lot, in the plains, in Bangalore, where it is not as hot as it is in other parts of India. Someone even said that after few hours his V20 gives off enough heat to fry an omelette.... an exaggeration of course, but the gist is pretty clear= Plasmas give off heat

does this imply plsmas for cool climates and lcd for tropics....:lol:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back