Choosing between Wh 9.1/Energy C-300/CA S30

Any members (including Venkat) who own, have listened to Wharfedale Evos,
(10, 20 or 30 models), can you recall what amps they were driven by? If I have that info, I can at least gauge the minimum 'class' of amp needed for them to work their best.

I can't recall the model but I've heard it driven by a fairly high-end Yamaha AV receiver and not too well at that. The Denon will definitely be underpowered. Why not look at speakers from Monitor Audio, PSB or even Wharfedale's new Diamond 10 series?

The 1507 is 75 watts rated but I don't know how optimistic that rating is. It seems to go pretty loud for my current JBLs (89 dB sensitivity) at even
-10 db on its volume display (goes from -80 to +18 db). So far I have never needed to turn it past -8 or -10 db for any music I listen to.

The AVR wattage ratings are confusing at best and misrepresented at worst. So don't base plans around these. Every manufacturer does this not just Denon.

On the other hand, the Evos are pretty big and have 86 db at 6 ohms, so they are not an easy load to drive. And the Denon is not known for huge current drive unlike say a Harman Kardon.

Any members (including Venkat) who own, have listened to Wharfedale Evos,
(10, 20 or 30 models), can you recall what amps they were driven by? If I have that info, I can at least gauge the minimum 'class' of amp needed for them to work their best. So far, it seems the 1507 may not cut it and I don't want to spend my money on great speakers powered by a mismatched amplifier section.

Sorry for all the questions. You all have been a great help so far.

-Rs.

6 ohms are not that bad to drive though I see that you have inefficient speakers (wrt the power). Most AVRs that drive the 8 will be able to handle these.

Also, i ahve seen the Evo 20s being driven by a Onkyo A-9555 integrated and a 30 being driven by a cambridge audio azur 640 integrated. They did not sweat to drive these and the soundstage and clarity were decent.

Now am also stuck between the Diamond 9.1 and Tannoy f1 . They would be run by a Cambridge 340A amps and 340c CDP. I had auditioned the F1 in a diff set up and it was heavenly. I auditioned the 340c and 340 a with the CA s30. It was pretty bright. Im concerned that was it the speakers which was bright or the amp/CDP? Now im also worriied that the Diamonds 9.1 are brigght or not? F1 are slightly more exp and diamonds 9.1 have got grt reviews everywhere. So would the 9.1 make a good combo with the 340A,340C? Confusing ? well so am I :D

P.s This is for a second system for the folks in Calcutta.

9.1 is good, won't sound harsh. Although I only heard it paired with a NAD I am fairly convinced it is a sweet sounding speaker and wouldn't worry about it...

Cheers

Hey

You also want to compare the International pricing of the speaker to the Indian one when buying? The Wharfies sell for less than 20% markup over International whereas at the India prices of the Tannoy pair, you can actually buy 4 speakers(abroad) towards making a HT :)

Hope that gives you a better sense of real value. :D

cheers

Wh 9.1 would be my bet.. Cant commenton the Energy c 300 but the CA S 30 is way too bright for my tastes. Have finally bought the Wh-10.1 with the CA 340SE and 340C.:D. For a low budget set up one cant go wrong with this combo.

Wh 9.1 would be my bet.. Cant commenton the Energy c 300 but the CA S 30 is way too bright for my tastes. Have finally bought the Wh-10.1 with the CA 340SE and 340C.:D. For a low budget set up one cant go wrong with this combo.

Is the price of the 10.1 same as that of the 9.1? Hows the performance?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back