Chord reliability

nandac

Hey all, quick question : are chord products reliable?

I see some comments on the net that there are issues with chord mojo etc?

I was looking for a usb dac and was considering 2qute.

Any other ones (under $700) that I can look at?

Appreciate the feedback.

Any product with a chargeable battery will have issue wrt life of battery.
As the battery can only support a number of charging cycles and after that the battery juice will get lesser.

Apart from this i don't think there would be anything else to complain about chord dacs.

A friend uses qutest since three + years and has never had an issue

>Any product with a chargeable battery will have issue wrt life of battery.

2qute is supposed to have 1.5m 12v 0.5a Switching Power Supply?

Even the back of the unit shows the power socket?

Am I not understanding this correct?

>Any product with a chargeable battery will have issue wrt life of battery.

2qute is supposed to have 1.5m 12v 0.5a Switching Power Supply?

Even the back of the unit shows the power socket?

Am I not understanding this correct?
Sorry I thought it is powered by a rechargeable battery.
As such chord products don't have any relaibility issues

The Mojo is battery powered as is the Hugo the rest are on DC in. I have not really heard of any unreliability of Chord other than the battery issues Rikhav mentioned.
Have you checked the chord support forums ?

IMHO the Chord2qute rca output connectors seemed rather delicate to me - I would suggest to check that if buying pre owned.

Hey all, quick question : are chord products reliable?

I see some comments on the net that there are issues with chord mojo etc?

I was looking for a usb dac and was considering 2qute.

Any other ones (under $700) that I can look at?

Appreciate the feedback.
The battery circuit in mojo needed refinement and thats accepted by all and sundry. The unit ran hot as well but only the designer would be able to tell you if it was within design parameters.
The Mojo2 has this battery issue corrected it seems. Also I heard from a youtube video review that the power output of the Mojo2 was reduced by 150mW so that the same could be redirected for the new equalisation function. Could be true. I was in the market for a similar device and let go due to battery issues. Then am looking at it again now but I do feel it doesn't have the juice to power the high impedance Senns and Beyers for large scale orchestral music. Though the headphone power calculators seem to say that theoretically its ok. With the current specs I am unsure.

The battery circuit in mojo needed refinement and thats accepted by all and sundry. The unit ran hot as well but only the designer would be able to tell you if it was within design parameters.
The Mojo2 has this battery issue corrected it seems. Also I heard from a youtube video review that the power output of the Mojo2 was reduced by 150mW so that the same could be redirected for the new equalisation function. Could be true. I was in the market for a similar device and let go due to battery issues. Then am looking at it again now but I do feel it doesn't have the juice to power the high impedance Senns and Beyers for large scale orchestral music. Though the headphone power calculators seem to say that theoretically its ok. With the current specs I am unsure.
I am using Mojo2 with HD 6xx and AtH r70x, both high impedence, as you know. Drives them absolutely fine. My test track is always Bethovans 5th.

I am using Mojo2 with HD 6xx and AtH r70x, both high impedence, as you know. Drives them absolutely fine. My test track is always Bethovans 5th.
Thats nice to know.
Here is a basic question to give me an idea of how it drives the sennheiser.
How much headroom do you have on the volume control from the normal volume you listen to and before it starts to distort or stays clean but is painfully loud?

Other amps have a gain switch so one can compensate a bit. Mojo or mojo 2 I believe has no such gain switch.

Thats nice to know.
How much headroom do you have on the volume control from the normal volume you listen to and before it starts to distort or stays clean but is painfully loud?
At it's default output of 3v which is clean, the Mojo is painfully loud with the two headphones I've tried it with - Hifiman HE400i and Audio Technica M50. I'd dare not try it out at that volume with IEMs!
Other amps have a gain switch so one can compensate a bit. Mojo or mojo 2 I believe has no such gain switch.
It doesn't matter. For example, the Ifi Zen DAC also has a gain switch but despite engaging it, the Mojo plays much louder cleanly without the help of any such gain switch. The Mojo will drive most if not all headphones to very high volumes without distorting.

At it's default output of 3v which is clean, the Mojo is painfully loud with the two headphones I've tried it with - Hifiman HE400i and Audio Technica M50. I'd dare not try it out at that volume with IEMs!

It doesn't matter. For example, the Ifi Zen DAC also has a gain switch but despite engaging it, the Mojo plays much louder cleanly without the help of any such gain switch. The Mojo will drive most if not all headphones to very high volumes without distorting.
Tks for the input.

Thats nice to know.

Never dared going that far. Nuf and more of headroom with both HPs. Nearing 50, I dont want to meddle with my hearing for the sake of experimentation.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back