Chromecast (Video)

dr_rocket

This is not a new product but I could not find any proper reviews in this forum (there are quite a few experiences shared on chromecast audio though). So thought would share my recent experience on this.

My existing setup includes Yamaha HTR 3067 AVR (non wifi/bluetooth) with Polk speakers. Source-mostly PC with HDMI output (plays all kinds of files). Also Ipad connected via 3m long USB cable for music streaming (apple music/hungama). Felt the need for wireless connections hence explored various options.

Shortlisted the following
1. Chromecast (video) - supposed to be plugged directly into TV and Google won't provide support if it does not work with receiver. But many people have shared experiences online regarding success with AVR (and some failed too). Connection directly to TV is strict no-no as my TV would completely degrade the sound, not to mention downmixing 5 channel to 2 channel output.

2. Chromecast audio - will work with receiver but no video, so one pathway blocked completely.

3. Amazon fire stick - good app support but amazon prime video will not output FHD on my system as it is not HDCP enabled. Casting local apps doubtful.

Ultimately went ahead with chromecast because of both audio and video capabilities. Cost 3k from reliance digital.

Setup was a breeze and within 10 mins fully functional. Connected to receiver and works absolutely fine.

App support - You can't install any apps on chromecast device itself, only on your phone/tablet which would cast to the device. Then you can use your phone normally without having to worry about battery or interruption of casting.

1. Music - Working - google play music, saavn, wynk music, spotify (with UK account). But wynk quality (even in 'HD') was poor as compared to others. Saavn non-pro was better than that.
Not working - hungama (for songs), works while in radio mode or for videos (confirmed by hungama support team). This was bad considering I had hungama pro subscription for 1 yr. Apple music also did not work (no support for chromecast, only airplay).

2. Youtube - perfect

3. Streaming apps- Netflix- perfect, 5 channel audio compatible (AVR detects dolby digital in those tracks). Hotstar-perfect, but did not try any 5 channel tracks, probably will not work. Yupptv- perfect again.

4. MX player- this was important to play downloaded files. But no native support. Fortunately works quite well via localcast app and 5 channel output feasible.

5. Casting entire screen for pictures or documents fine but never for videos, lot of lags.

So in a nutshell, this is a great option to convert non-wireless receiver to wireless (including video). Not working with DTS/DTS HD so far, I think it is too much to ask.

i am using cc audio,taking optical out.
its amazing,bitperfect.
using saavn pro account

Yeah, its a nifty little thing, and actually easier to cast youtube to it rather than using the native youtube app on TV (since typing with TV remote is not ideal) , but couple of issues:
(i) no Amazon Prime support
(ii) sometimes some apps like hotstar and Sonyliv actually just stop casting and have to be re-cast (both are used for mainly live sports and hence this is a critical problem)
(iii) Obviously, no 4K on the normal chromecast (there is of course a 4K chrome-cast which I think is not officially available in India yet) which the same apps on my TV support. So for netflix, prime and youtube, I use the native apps on my LG Oled; but for hotstar and SonyLiv (which are not there in my TV), I still need Chromecast.
For casting mobile screen/audio and for DLNA, I find both to be about same.
I also use Chromecast to cast music from Google Play music to the speakers connected to my TV with Optical out, while a separate chromecast audio is connected (by mini-optical, not aux-in) to my Polk Woodbourne in the other room.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back