chromecast vs teewe 2 vs ????

TheSeeker

hello everyone!

the youtube app on my tv (panasonic 50vt20) expired sometime back. was looking for an alternative to play youtube vids properly since then. will then chromecast device be good to stream the vids on it? if yes, then shall quickly buy it from snapdeal as a friend has got a coupon for it which expires tomorrow. seeking some suggestions about it.

also, is teewe 2 a better option? any other such device?

thanks!

p.s. - i have a himedia hd900b media player too, but the custom FW its on doesn't have a good youtube app, nor does OllyP's FWs had it AFAIR.

Last edited:
chromecast does not have a youtube app of its own, it helps to cast youtube from either your mobile/tab or laptop, if you are ok with this then yes its a good device to have ....

chromecast does not have a youtube app of its own, it helps to cast youtube from either your mobile/tab or laptop, if you are ok with this then yes its a good device to have ....
yes; would be using my phone or tab or laptop for that. but is there any device at a similar price-point that has YT app of its own? i doubt.

just read about MK808B Plus. looks promising! has an inbuilt YT-app too. and am told that chromecast has barely 10% of the functionality of the former. will have to read more on this.

decided upon MK808B Plus. shall place order for it in a while. :)
thanks @sam9s (also, read that chromecast has now got some 14 or so apps of its own, even though one needs to cast content through them using a ph/tab).

decided upon MK808B Plus. shall place order for it in a while. :)
thanks @sam9s (also, read that chromecast has now got some 14 or so apps of its own, even though one needs to cast content through them using a ph/tab).

I have used couple of Android Sticks, but (not to discourage you) none gave even a decent performance with youtube app. WD TV Live was the first media player for me that gave good performance as far as YouTube goes. But best performance by far for YouTube and any streaming app for that mater is no doubt Roku 3.

BTW again it would not be entirely correct to say chromecast has 14 apps, It should be put more in a way.....that chromecast not officially supports 14+ applications for casting ... :)

I am using chromecast for a while, and it is giving me very good performance, but in India you are pretty much restricted to youtube, streaming videos from your device or mirroring it. There are some games, but I have never tried it out.
Now my kids are getting addicted to youtube streaming of old game shows like crystal maze, rather than cartoon channels. :)

I have used couple of Android Sticks, but (not to discourage you) none gave even a decent performance with youtube app. WD TV Live was the first media player for me that gave good performance as far as YouTube goes. But best performance by far for YouTube and any streaming app for that mater is no doubt Roku 3.

BTW again it would not be entirely correct to say chromecast has 14 apps, It should be put more in a way.....that chromecast not officially supports 14+ applications for casting ... :)

yes, that's more apt!

android sticks i read were bothersome till the MKM808 or prior versions, but since the B rev., things have very well changed i read. now reviewers tell that there's no reason to buy a chromecast over MKM808B Plus. performance of the device has taken a good leap ahead. watched a few videos of the device and was very pleased! its nothing but an android tablet/phone with the TV as its display, so everything (almost, i think) that can be done on an android tab or ph could be done here too. ofcourse you know that. only one issue still remains is the weak wifi link. that i would take care of by using a repeater, if needed.
never used a roku so don't know, but its anyway a very popular device. though this stick and roku 3 have a significant difference in price too. ;)

Last edited:
Hi..I have been wanting to buy a Chromecast or a Roku after reading them all about them. But after i checked out several you tube videos and web pages, I am not really sure if there is a use to them.

In my case I have a desktop that is connect to my AVR...hence anything to do with the web, I just display my desktop on my TV. Given this scenario, the only other reason one would want a chromecast would be to mirror their mobile on their TV which in real life will be restricted to photos and videos on mobile...which I can as well trf to my desktop.

Hence can u tell me any other reason why one would need a chromecast please..thx

Haha .... well with that argument we can say why would we need an HTPC or any media player or Media Stick or Roku when you can just connect your laptop with TV and use it as a computer since you can do everything on computer that all those devices can do ......

Why do we need an HTPC when a simple windows PC can play the movies as good as any HTPC, why would we need a dedicated Music PC when any regular PC can play the songs with the same DAC with more or less the same performance .... :). Why would we need an iPod touch when the same can be achieved by iPhone ... :) ....etc etc ....:)

Last edited:
:) See in real life there are many people like who like technology and can afford to buy some of them. After buying they realize its useless and it just keeps lying there..hence I asked...this desktop that I connect to my TV..it is like HTPC and with Kodi and my mobile remote..am pretty happy...hence wondered what additional things does Chromecast support apart from videos and photos shot on mobile phone

Chromecast is nothing but to cast (stream) movies, videos, picture and Music from you PC/Mobile/Tablet ....... that is the ONLY thing chromecast does. For me I would not wast a complete desktop or laptop connected to TV, as what ever you do or say TV cannot replace a monitor as far as day to day computing activities goes. Only for gaming can I think to connect my desktop to a TV. So in that respect chromecast seems like handy feature. 24x7 connected to TV, hardly takes any power (2W officially), supports 4K streaming as well (if you LAN/Wifi and Internet is up to it) and best of all supports HDMI-CEC, so I dont even have to change the HDMI input. I am watching say Tata sky and suddenly I want to view that facebook/whatsapp or yourtube video, all I have to do it press the cast icon on my chrome browser, the TV automatically switches input from TataSky to chromcast and starts to play the video ..... (provided your TV should also support CEC)

For people who do not have to have a streaming player like Roku 3, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire, chromecast is god send device, for just 35USD you can almost have all the features that a streaming player like Roku 3 or Amazon Fire TV has .....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back