Class A Amplifier

vmscbe1974

Hi members

Looking for Class A amplifier with a budget of Rs.30000/- for stereo listening. Suggestions welcome and guidance needed.

Regards
Srinivasan

If you can describe the rest of the chain it might be useful for FM's to suggest anything.
What pre-amp and speakers are you planning to use with it?

Hi members

Looking for Class A amplifier with a budget of Rs.30000/- for stereo listening. Suggestions welcome and guidance needed.

Regards
Srinivasan

You will have to go DIY route.Solid state Class A is impossible in Rs 30K. I believe the Lyrita Amps are all class A but tube based and needs careful speaker matching.

Just a question , why class A?

If you are into DIY then PM me as I may have a class A amp built some issues with one of the channel and planning to upgrade to another class A amp shortly even that will be a DIY attempt.

Thanks

Class A amps choice were just like a layman option. I was informed that Class A amps are the best with frequency range from 20hz to 20 khz and good wave form imaging for sound reproduction. Am i right? How much would a Class A amp cost otherwise.

I have boston HS 460 speaker pair ( yet to arrive ) and Hk 6550 amp, of which iam planning for a upgrade. Pre amp is Cambridge Audio Azur 540

If FMs can guide me in setting up a better choice to Class A Tube AMps with Matching speakers would be great.

As FM told about Lyrita who is the person to be contacted?

Thanks for the inputs
Regards
Srinivasan

Class A amps choice were just like a layman option. I was informed that Class A amps are the best with frequency range from 20hz to 20 khz and good wave form imaging for sound reproduction. Am i right? How much would a Class A amp cost otherwise.

I have boston HS 460 speaker pair ( yet to arrive ) and Hk 6550 amp, of which iam planning for a upgrade. Pre amp is Cambridge Audio Azur 540

If FMs can guide me in setting up a better choice to Class A Tube AMps with Matching speakers would be great.

As FM told about Lyrita who is the person to be contacted?

Thanks for the inputs
Regards
Srinivasan

I have a Pass F5T fully built which has two output pairs and delivers about 35w of power per channel. The cabinet is all black powder coated and would fit your budget. I was about to post an ad on the forum, but thought of informing you first. If you are interested we can discuss over pm or phone or mail, and I could also show you pictures.

A friend of mine is selling a Class A Sugden A21a but then he us asking Rs 80k and no less.

A friend has a Hiraga LeMonstre unused,available at his cost price. He and I built one each together, but his speaker plans changed. Cost was around 21-22K.

True Class A will be impossible to obtain at this price. The point is manufacturers today in the budget end do not make Class A amplifiers. The reasons are of course the costs involved and the highly inefficient amplification setup itself. Handling the full output waveform without switching requires that the output devices work full time requiring high current and large heat sinks. Switching from one half of the wave form to the other half gives rise to distortions which is why Class A amps are considered the purest type of amplification. Obviously this quest for musical purity leads to heavier chassis , larger transformers,larger heat sinks and higher quality of electronics all of which substantially drive up costs. I don't even think except for the very high end players if any manufacturer today dabbles in Pure Class A. Some manufacturers like YAMAHA with their vintage amps like the CA 2010 and CA 1000 could operate at Class A for about the initial 15 W to 30 W . The Musical Fidelity A 1 was more highly regarded as a Pure Class A amp . The Technics SE A5 uses new Class A which is a somewhat different version of Class A but arguably one of the most beautiful power amps to buy. I have had the Technics SU V 3, the JVC AX 30 Super A which are all a somewhat compromised version of Pure Class A though by any standards extremely reliable and sweet sounding amps . You may be able to get these at less than 30000 rupees.

Last edited:
first note labs
in kolkatta does pretty good class A's

i have one of theirs
a couple of other members have them too

the amp cabinet is huge though
so be prepared

I used to have the Luxman 06a. Beautiful champagne gold finish with solid wooden cabinet.
All of 55 watts, massive and heavy.
Very soulful....

Hi Saheb,
Is pass5t different from firstwatt f5?what is the price you are willing to sell?all perfect?pictures?thanks..murli

Hi George,
Can you post some pictures and audio clip?
Thanks..murli

Last edited by a moderator:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back