Class D Watts Vs Class AB Watts Question

Hello All,

Sorry for my dumb question if it is, but my friend Google did not fetch any desirable explanation and I thought to just ask away,

I have recently got a Schit Saga+ Passive Preamp and mated it with Bel Canto S300 Power amp ( 300RMS @ 4 Ohms also first-hand experience with Canto's) into Totem Model-1 Signature Speakers, (Rates at 120RMS @ 4 Ohms/87db ) and it's producing amazing tunes, and I'm loving it as if each track is heard anew.
even my old CD Presses which I always thought are lifeless, came back to life now. the Bel Canto's Shear power have made my Totems wake from their
deep slumber, (my Totems need lots of Power to sing well) and the Combo of Tube Pre into the Class D combo mix is working wonders to my ears,

now my question is, can I feed my Totems with additional Power of say with 500 RMS @ 4 Ohms? Class D or will I fry my speakers doing so?
whats the difference between Digital Class D Wattage Vs Class AB Wattage?
thanks in advance to anyone shedding any light on my quest.

Best
Think Different.

Last edited:
More power always gives more headroom and dynamics.

With great power comes great responsibility.

So with higher powered amps, you need to control the volume with a preamp. More power always does not translate to better quality. A pure calss A 10wpc might sound better than 150wpc class d and vice versa. So while selecting an amp always do a side by side comparison.

Class AB and D are different technologies to amplify sound signal. It cannot be concluded blindly which one sounds better.

More power always gives more headroom and dynamics.

With great power comes great responsibility.

So with higher powered amps, you need to control the volume with a preamp. More power always does not translate to better quality. A pure class A 10wpc might sound better than 150wpc class d and vice versa. So while selecting an amp always do a side by side comparison.

Class AB and D are different technologies to amplify sound signal. It cannot be concluded blindly which one sounds better.

Thanks for responding,
Yeah, you are spot on with your comments regarding headroom & dynamics, I'm experiencing those are soon after injecting the more powered BelCanto's into my Totems they never sounded like this in the past even with some so the Naim gear, music is sounding a lot more zipper, fast and agile, even old MP3's are sounding more dynamic and loud than before with tight bottom end etc.

while I understand the differences between different classes of amplification and how its produced, what I like to know is, if I inject my speakers with additional power with (500RMS) more, to what I'm currently using (300RMS) will it harm my speakers? currently given my Saga+ is a passive Pre, and I have to turn up the volume dial to almost 1 'o'clock position to hear at my desirable volume level.

thanks again for your response.
regards
Think Different

You can attach a 1000 watt power amp, it would not damage the speakers unless you drive it stupid loud where it will give out loud farting sound before it blows. Sonically i don't think it would make any more difference as the recommended power for the totems is 50-200 watts. You may want to use the active stage in the DAC/Preamp and see if it's to your liking.

now my question is, can I feed my Totems with additional Power of say with 500 RMS @ 4 Ohms? Class D
Yes.
or will I fry my speakers doing so?
No.
whats the difference between Digital Class D Wattage Vs Class AB Wattage?
Output wattage - no difference.
and the Combo of Tube Pre into the Class D combo mix is working wonders to my ears,
And, since you're speaking about tubes - you're probably running the Saga+ in active mode and not passive mode - in active mode it's a tube buffer.

Last edited:
As long as your SPL levels dont change amount of power drawn by speaker will remain same, even if you plug in 1000w/ch amp.. Amp never pushes power into speakers, you control output voltage levels via volume pot, based on impedance current will be drawn. Unless you are using a transconductance amplifier..

The rated wattage of an amp is its capacity. It doesn't mean that you are now delivering that much power into your speakers.
As an analogy, assume you have something on a shelf 7 ft above the ground. Someone who is 5' tall can reach it with some stretching. Someone who is 6' tall can reach the same shelf without stretching. It makes no difference to the shelf whether the person is 5 or 6 feet tall.

now my question is, can I feed my Totems with additional Power of say with 500 RMS @ 4 Ohms
You should try a class D amp. If you are happy with that you are blessed. See if you can lend any class D Amp to give a try

The architecture of amps has its own characters towards Sound output.

As long as your SPL levels dont change amount of power drawn by speaker will remain same, even if you plug in 1000w/ch amp.. Amp never pushes power into speakers, you control output voltage levels via volume pot, based on impedance current will be drawn. Unless you are using a transconductance amplifier..

isn’t it kinda like you can use an iPad charger (higher wattage) to charge an iPhone (it will draw the current it has to) but not the other way around?

You can attach a 1000 watt power amp, it would not damage the speakers unless you drive it stupid loud where it will give out loud farting sound before it blows. Sonically i don't think it would make any more difference as the recommended power for the totems is 50-200 watts. You may want to use the active stage in the DAC/Preamp and see if it's to your liking.
Thank you for your reply, yes I'm liking its Jefet mode more than the passive mode.

Yes.
No.
Output wattage - no difference.
And, since you're speaking about tubes - you're probably running the Saga+ in active mode and not passive mode - in active mode it's a tube buffer.
Yes, I do use in JEFET Tube buffer mode, as this has mode has more openness and airy.. Thanks for your point to point response.

Yes, I'd like to play more in lower levels of the volume but still get that oomph and kick off the bottom end etc.

This thread showed my how much I don't know about amplifiers!
For others who feel overwhelmed by jargon (like me), I found the following article quite useful :

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EX0DX28OBne/learn/which-amplifier-class-is-best.html

Thanks for the link... I shell look it up..

Yes, I'd like to play more in lower levels of the volume but still get that oomph and kick off the bottom end etc.
Try an equalizer. Check with your mac system (Digital EQ) first or think of getting a Schiit Loki. There are others that may give you better control (parametric equalizers).

With the JFET buffer is the Saga S
With the Tube buffer is the Saga +
Yes, my bad, you are right, it's Tube buffer for which I escribed the sound,

Try an equalizer. Check with your mac system (Digital EQ) first or think of getting a Schiit Loki. There are others that may give you better control (parametric equalizers).
I have Amarra4, I guess have to upgrade to Amarra's other version to get the digital eq, but at the moment not that inclined to do this..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back