Weight of transformers & capacitors = Amplifier capability? High instantaneous current capacity is the No.1 metric to look for, NOT RMS Watts

I am not able to find peak instantaneous current capability of the McCormack DNA 125 amplifier online. Searching a bunch for it.
Old one was a 125W/ch McCormack DNA 125 stereo power amp. New one is a pair of 325W/ch O&B monos built in India. Not just power, everything else is better with the O&B - tone, timing, smoothness - everything.cant

and equivalent resistance on the loudspeaker end is discussed here:

Thanks.

Tube amps use high voltage B plus supply, which one cannot regulate as it’s expensive and bulky to do that. Now we have another issue of fluctuation AC mains which could be crazy 200 to 270 volts. So I suggest to use a stabilized power supply and my designs are fine handling as high as 250 volts but beyond that it can cost the power supply transformers in the long run.

Now say, a build is biased around 45-55 ma (where most of my current designs are), I target a power supply which is perfectly fine till 135 to 140 ma of peak current loads for each channel. Hence this plays out well in handling music dynamic peaks and shows up in the sonics. And this makes a staggering difference in the low end extension and its definition / distortion.

However when you design such a power supply, you must not be stingy on any parts in the chain. If it’s a choke filtered power supply, it must be rather like 140ma rated too. Else you are wasting away your generous power transformer. And so must be all the components.

Your chain is as good as your weakest link ! Same applies within every amplifier too !

After all the music signal gets amplified by the very power supply your amp has. It must be clean and ample. Of course, over rating it beyond a point is useless.
These high current requirements apply only to SS amplifiers. My tube monoblocks final tubes are baised at 43mA and drivers at 4mA. The total current required are around 130mA including the 2 shunts. My transformer supplies 3 times more at 450mA. Enough reserve and headroom.

Personally I do not prefer amplifiers where current to power the amplifier have to come from the capacitors. Such amplifiers sound too sterile and analytical to my ears. I prefer low capacitance in the power supply filter and the current for powering the amplifier coming from the transformer. Hence a choke input followed by a low value around 35uF capacitor and repeating the choke with a 100uF capacitor should be ok for me. This type of setup plays music to my ears without sounding sterile.

These high current requirements apply only to SS amplifiers. My tube monoblocks final tubes are baised at 43mA and drivers at 4mA. The total current required are around 130mA including the 2 shunts. My transformer supplies 3 times more at 450mA. Enough reserve and headroom.

Personally I do not prefer amplifiers where current to power the amplifier have to come from the capacitors. Such amplifiers sound too sterile and analytical to my ears. I prefer low capacitance in the power supply filter and the current for powering the amplifier coming from the transformer. Hence a choke input followed by a low value around 35uF capacitor and repeating the choke with a 100uF capacitor should be ok for me. This type of setup plays music to my ears without sounding sterile.
Don’t use shunts so nearly 1/2 Ampere not needed in my case. But all parts are true to say 130ma, and again it’s thrice of the biasing. I start with even lower capacitance values.

Don’t use shunts so nearly 1/2 Ampere not needed in my case. But all parts are true to say 130ma, and again it’s thrice of the biasing. I start with even lower capacitance values.
Double shunts are used for regulating the B+ supply going to the driver tube. Also # chokes and pi filters are used for a brute force power supply to the driver tube. Each shunt draw around 14mA of current but provides a clean supply to the driver tube.

@rwnano Your title says “weight of caps”.

How about these ? I could barely hold both in my palm….

View attachment 81659
I'd say please be careful while working with these since they can "OFF" humans with their discharge currents.
[Its a Mumbaiya saying -- "Wo OFF ho gayela hai" ]

The 6000A’s discrete Class AB power amp stage delivers 50W per channel into eight ohms, "with a maximum current delivery of 9 Amps into difficult loads."
peak current of 9 Amps
A substantial 200VA toroidal transformer, followed by 4x15000uF reservoir capacity (60000uF in total), helps the amp to maintain firm control of the music whilst enabling excellent dynamic range.

Highly regulated power supply​

The L-509Z is equipped with LUXMAN’s traditional, highly stable power supply circuitry, featuring a bespoke, highly regulated 600VA El transformer and newly developed large-capacity filter capacitors (10,000μFx 8) .
Net weight29.4kg (main unit)

25 kg weight :)
dual 400VA encapsulated transformers.

PM14S1S
Weight
40.8 lbs, 18.5 kg

Weight in kg 21.5
Power: toroidal transformer & 2 SMPS Toroidal and 2 x SMPS

benchmark --fundoo specs & details do see!

Weight​

• 12.5 lbs., 16 lbs. shipping - Non-rack-mount version

Maximum Audio Output Current​

• 29 A peak, per channel, both channels driven

The 6000A’s discrete Class AB power amp stage delivers 50W per channel into eight ohms, "with a maximum current delivery of 9 Amps into difficult loads."
peak current of 9 Amps
A substantial 200VA toroidal transformer, followed by 4x15000uF reservoir capacity (60000uF in total), helps the amp to maintain firm control of the music whilst enabling excellent dynamic range.
My experience is different. Having such huge capacitor bank does not sound musical. I have to admit I do not have experience with SS amplifiers.

@adas : Any idea what the instantaneous current capabilities of your monos are?
70A @ 1ohms - 1ms , weight of amp approx 25-27kgs each monoblock
12 beta matched devices per channel

Highest current we have done till date is 95A , with powe rating of 200W at 8ohms , 400W at 4ohms and 800W at 2ohms , total capacitance of 100000uf + 100000uf , 20beta matches devices per channel ...

We are working on an even higher current amp... Fully balanced

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back