Cleaning liquids / spray for hifi gear

Does anyone know a good source of cleaning liquids or sprays which can be used on anodized / brshed aluminum face plates of hifi gear.

You might be amazed by what a microfibre cloth can do! It's even capable of making plastic cases that were designed as dust traps look like new.

Try it dry. If that is not enough, then go for barely damp.

This is how I do barely-damp: wet the bottom of the kitchen sink. Lay the cloth on it. Pick it up and use. Also, you can just mist the cloth with a spray bottle.

Do not wet the cloth, and do not wet the case. Microfibre actually doesn't work as well when it is wet. Neither do electronics :eek:hyeah:. But hey, you knew that.

If you need a next step, then I use the mixture that I picked up on this site for vinyl cleaning: water + IPA + a few drops of washing up liquid. I don't play much vinyl these days, but it still gets plenty of use for spectacles and other stuff. Again, just mist the cloth with a spray bottle.

You can make stuff look new. Really.

Yes, I am a microfibre fanboy. Car, kitchen, bathroom (and I even have microfibre towels), there is nothing like it. By comparison, everything else smears, while microfibre actually cleans. Join the club! :)

Last edited:
I already have a can of DeOxit contact cleaner, and, although expensive, it has actually paid for itself in actually bringing back to life stuff from remote controls to mice.

What I want is the heavy-duty protectant, to keep them alive, but the cost (even at dollar/pound economy) is ridiculous

Even though, long term, I suspect that even that might pay for itself, it is pretty hard to bring myself to spend over 6K rupees on about a teaspoonful of liquid. :sad: For contacts, it should be enough to apply it with a pin head, and it should last ages --- but, anyone going mad with the brush on the RCAs of a home-theatre receiver might not even finish the job with one bottle.

This contact shield is listed at Rs 6500 on Amazon.in but it is US$ 22 on Amazon.com ! :D

Yes a pin head would do. So one only requires a drop for the next 10 years ?

I'll send you a drop if I buy it on A.com :D

Last edited:
This contact shield is listed at Rs 6500 on Amazon.in but it is US$ 22 on Amazon.com ! :D

:sad:

Shocking. I must have seen it on A.com, but forgot. Thank goodness I didn't buy! Thanks for the timely reminder :)

Sadly, though, This item does not ship to Chennai.

I've several people coming coming soon ! :)
But I wonder if it's worth it. It says for a 'harsh environment' !
Does that apply in our case ?

Mr Murthy has an electric contact cleaner..ive used that for many .not just audio and gets the job done
For the faceplate etc wont the usual spray used for LCDs screens work ?

I've several people coming coming soon ! :)
But I wonder if it's worth it. It says for a 'harsh environment' !
Does that apply in our case ?

In my particularly polluted corner of Chennai (not far from the Buckingham Canal), where steel rusts and other metals discolour, I think so. Those with the sense to live in cleaner places might not need such protection at all.

You are aware of course that aerosol cans get confiscated by the good folks at TSA( if its coming from the US)

This might apply only for hand carried baggage ?
I brought a large Deoxit aerosol can in my check in baggage. It was still there when I opened my box at home. The suitcase did have a large printed list ( placed on top of the items ) detailing what the box contained !

alpha1: Yes, this is what we have all been hollering about for a while ! :)

However the last few posts were about the Deoxit liquid meant to 'prevent oxidation ' AFTER cleaning ! Meant for 'harsh environments' according to the label. I guess our polluted air qualifies for that category ! ;)

Last edited:
The product range is mighty confusing!

I have and use the D100 spray. It has more than paid for itself in things that would have been thrown away, but I feel that I need the Shield to keep the gadgets rejuvenated for longer. It is no fun, for instance, getting at the actual contacts in a mouse --- but getting a new multi-button mouse that does work with Linux is even less fun. Also, the more often I have to dig around inside these things, the more likely it is that I will accidentally damage something. Actually, that begs the question: when the day comes and I do buy a new Rs4,000 mouse, would I take it apart and treat it?

edit: this is the Shield Spray at Rs.2327 it is 5%, not concentrate --- but I'll probably take this option.

Last edited:
I like the "features". Just what the connections needed:

Deluxe Wine Ballistic Poly-web Nylon Guitar Strap will not stretch or bleed
Will fit any acoustic, electric or bass guitar, resonators and mandolins. Includes tie cord for Acoustic instruments.
Adjustable no mar nylon buckle allows lengths from 34" to 59" for most player
Strap is 2 1/4 "wide for maximum comfort and durability

Retards!!

A push switch/source selector of my amp was creating problem. I have tried Isopropyl Alcohol to clean it (put few drops and moved in on/off few times) it worked after few days it is again creating same issue. Any suggestion what should I use for better results? Seems switch is not making perfect contact with terminals.

Hi,
Are there any suggestions for cleaning the speaker cabinet?
I live in a place high in humidity so the wooden cabinet gets dirty often.
Any tips... anyone?

Ok, I have used Zorrik 88 for my problem (see post 18) and it worked like a charm and solved the problem. It is Pidilite product and VFM.

894519d1330360355-how-do-you-protect-your-car-rats-image3605507141.jpg

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back