cleaning of AV Gear

AMITNOIDA

Dust is a major problem specially when the AV gears are not placed in a close airconditioned environment. What is the most effective way to keep the Speaker / Amp/ CD player clean in a dust prone area?

I clean my equipment using my old Banians ( which is very soft ) LOL !!!!!!!!! but the end result is good:D . What ever way I clean when i come back from Office I again find some dust on the equipments.

Apart from the interesting suggestions to clean the exterior of the AV equipment with under (read interior) clothing, I would suggest a good sized Microfiber cloth - these are machine washable as well.

For interior, use an air spray (similar to what you use to clean keyboards) preferably by having the enclosure opened. Make sure you are at a safe distance and do it outside as well.

Second vote for micro-fibre cloth. It can make plastic, or even metal, cases look like new, due to the fibres dragging dust out, and also it is very good at removing grease.

Otherwise, soft cotton, as mentioned. Underwear is excellent. I was making jewellery as a hobby in the days long before microfibre, and old vests (banyans) were prized for polishing.

Here's a further hint on micro-fibre cloth usage.

Often, they have quite enough bite to be used dry, and water is something we don't want to get near our electricals, let alone our electronics, anyway.

What about when you need that bit extra; a damp cloth? Getting a microfibre cloth wet, quite apart from the safety aspects, actually seems to reduce its effectiveness. Wetting it, and wringing out the water still leaves too much. This is what I do: run a little water into the sink, let it run away, so that the bottom of the sink is wet, but no standing water. Put the cloth flat on the remaining film of water --- and you have a nicely dampened cloth.

I always have a microfibre cloth on my desk, and its top two uses are:

1. Keeping the spectacles clean. Usually dry, but occasionally with a slight squirt of lens cleaner.

2. Mouse. Collects grunge underneath --- rub it over the m-f cloth. Also gets the grease off the mousepad.

Oh, there's the screen as well, of course. Whatever cloth one uses the danger is scratching.

Keyboard? That's where I store my favourite bacteria :)

Hi folks,

Okay, all you guys clean your av gear with some soft stuff. I do similarly with a piece of microfibre cloth . In addition, I also use a soft brush to clean the inner edges of protrusions like the knobs, buttons etc. I also use pieces of soft cloth to cover all electronics when cold and not in use. Once a month or so I tend to do a bit of thorough cleaning.

Regards.

Hey guys. I remember we have had this discussion before.

What I use is a used Veshti (or Dhoti) that has seen at least 6 months of use for it's intended usage. (Too many 'use's in this sentence, and I suspect it is grammatically incorrect.) Repeated usage and washing makes it extremely soft and easy to use for cleaning (The dhothi, not the sentence !!)

Some old cotton sarees and dupattas are also great, though I worry about the colour dyes rubbing off.

Cheers

Last edited:
and now aks07 will say,
Wah! the OP asked for a simple answer (about how to keep his AV equipment clean) and he gets a discussion on underwear!

what all to do to avoid dust settling on the gear?
Trying an enclosed AV rack is a no no. Mine did have a glass door but the glass is quiet heavy and it has come off quite a few times.
However, except the amp, maybe rest of the equipments, source gear, pre etc may be kept in an enclosed rack.
Maybe you can use some cloth to keep your equipment covered when not in use.

I am more worried about dust ingress inside CDP, which I plan to purchase soon. I had earlier a Philips music system. It was very cute and decent sounding. I had to face the problem of CD not reading due to dust on the lens/reading probe. Do you guys keep the CDP in covered cabinet?

I am more worried about dust ingress inside CDP, which I plan to purchase soon. I had earlier a Philips music system. It was very cute and decent sounding. I had to face the problem of CD not reading due to dust on the lens/reading probe. Do you guys keep the CDP in covered cabinet?

Amit, dont get paranoid about dust entering the CDP. It will over time and u can clean it very easily. If u feel jittery opening the case and cleaning ,use a good phillips cleaner with multiple brushes. Using just any CD cleaner with hard bristles may not be the best thing and Phillips cleaners are reliable.

Regarding the exterior of electronics MICRO FIBRE is best bet. Its easily available and relatively cheap. It can be washed and lasts for ages.
Rgds

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back