Cleaning speaker cones

KenD

Is it ok to use a wet microfibre cloth to clean speaker cones? A dry cloth is not helping.

Attachments

• IMG_20230516_182900015~2.jpg
    IMG_20230516_182900015~2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 39
Is it ok to use a wet microfibre cloth to clean speaker cones? A dry cloth is not helping.

Do you have a blower? Something like this. First try this to remove all lose dirt. You don't want the dirt to stick together after getting wet. Then it gets even more difficult to remove the dirt. I have also used the camel paint brush to remove dirt. I have cleaned speaker with wet tissue paper and it has to be done very gently, without applying pressure. You can first experiment with any junk speaker lying around.
1684257944044.png

Do you have a blower? Something like this. First try this to remove all lose dirt. You don't want the dirt to stick together after getting wet. Then it gets even more difficult to remove the dirt. I have also used the camel paint brush to remove dirt. I have cleaned speaker with wet tissue paper and it has to be done very gently, without applying pressure. You can first experiment with any junk speaker lying around.
T

Thanks. I don't have a blower. Will try a paint brush or a soft bristle toothbrush

Depends on the cone material. If of polypropylene then u can use slightly moist micro fibre cloth. For paper cones and other paper coated derivatives try using dry soft brush like new shaving brush etc or soft microfibre cloth (dry). This is from my personal experience.

Depends on cone material eg. Kevlar.
But i would suggest avoid using damp microfibre.
You may do more harm than good.
Use Dry microfibre cloth, super soft shaving brush etc.

My favourites - baby hair brush and wifes make up brush.
If they are good for those babys they are good for these babys too ;)

Last edited:
Depends on the cone material. If of polypropylene then u can use slightly moist micro fibre cloth. For paper cones and other paper coated derivatives try using dry soft brush like new shaving brush etc or soft microfibre cloth (dry). This is from my personal experience.
Was unable to find out the material. Its a Dali Blue 6006 speaker. The brochure doesnt have any info.
The ring is rubber like - thats the part with most grit. Maybe there i will try a wet cloth. The insides of the cone are mostly ok

Was unable to find out the material. Its a Dali Blue 6006 speaker. The brochure doesnt have any info.
The ring is rubber like - thats the part with most grit. Maybe there i will try a wet cloth. The insides of the cone are mostly ok

The tweeter is a soft textile dome and the mids are paper fibre cone.

Check the rubber surrounds for small cracks, if found be very very gentle with wiping it with a dry cloth, donot use microfibre on the cracks. Get a 1in or 2in painter brush and gently remove whatever you can.

Small cracks + wet cloth = goodbye rubber surround

The tweeter is a soft textile dome and the mids are paper fibre cone.

Check the rubber surrounds for small cracks, if found be very very gentle with wiping it with a dry cloth, donot use microfibre on the cracks. Get a 1in or 2in painter brush and gently remove whatever you can.

Small cracks + wet cloth = goodbye rubber surround
Thanks. I checked and the rubber surrounds are smooth and solid. Dry wipes didnt help so i eventually dipped a finger in water and gently wiped the rubber. Took a few rounds to get the grit off. Didnt touch the cones.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back