coaxial, Digital and analogue

Hello,
I want to buy a good quality digital co-axial from DVDP to DAC. Is analogue and digital coaxials are same? if not how do they differ?

For my PC SC to DAC, I want to use a long co-ax (digital), can I use normal TV coaxial cable (cable wala's) for this purpose? Will it perform for around 10 metrs?
regards,
Anand

I was also wondering on the similar lines. The coaxial cable uses RCA connectors and as the signal is suppossed to be digital I was wondering whether the cable plays any role and why the same is so highly priced

I was also wondering on the similar lines. The coaxial cable uses RCA connectors and as the signal is suppossed to be digital I was wondering whether the cable plays any role and why the same is so highly priced

Digital Coax cable and RCA cable are definitely not the same. Firstly, Digital coax cable need to be strict 75ohm impedance. Next, the construction of the cable optimized for an analog signal will not be optimized for digital data throughput. I suggest you learn more through professor google :)

Digital Coax cable and RCA cable are definitely not the same. Firstly, Digital coax cable need to be strict 75ohm impedance. Next, the construction of the cable optimized for an analog signal will not be optimized for digital data throughput. I suggest you learn more through professor google :)

Totally agree. Other than a few brands which share analog and digital (such as ASI Live Line), digital cables are a completely different animal. Even the length of a digital cable must be either .75 or 1.5m to avoid back reflections. Normal analog is 1m or its multiples. They are also almost always directional.

I use a Ridge Street Audio Poiema pure silver digital interconnect with Eichmann Bullets at both ends. Its a totally amazing cable and I just love it.

Last edited:
Currently I have connected with a 25ft OFC. But there is something missing in the sound quality. How in a digital cable, sound quality degrades? Initially I thought OFC is better than co-axial.

Currently I have connected with a 25ft OFC. But there is something missing in the sound quality. How in a digital cable, sound quality degrades? Initially I thought OFC is better than co-axial.

25ft coaxial digital cable? It'll lead to losses unless you use repeaters. You are better off using optical at that length.

"Even the length of a digital cable must be either .75 or 1.5m to avoid back reflections. Normal analog is 1m or its multiples. They are also almost always directional."

Can anyone explain "back reflection" and its relation with length of wire.

Thanks.

Coax will work at 25ft length without issues. Remember it is used to transmit TV signals over a few hundred feet.

Are you using speaker cable for a digital connection?
I am using Optical fibre cable of 25 ft. from PC SC to DAC. and the sound qualty is very bad. I am wondering, even the signal strengh is weak, how the digital content is getting lost during digital transmission. I guess, here the digital audio transmission (both coaxial and optical) is not similar to computer digital data transmission where you get exact bit by bit at the other side of the cable.

Optical cables are fine for large distances. A large part of internet data transmission is via optical fibre.

The challenge is Optical cable is not too great for handling 90degree bends so you may be better off using digital coax.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back