Common man review : Leron MK1 - Full range Bass reflex Bookshelf speaker

VSTEREO

Hello all,

This is the review of Leron MK1, a Full range Bass reflex Bookshelf speaker made by DAC (diyaudiocart). Costs 15k.

Notes,
  • The speakers were tested under normal conditions using budget-friendly devices considering the practicality and ease-of-use which is the primary objective of this speaker purchase. So, anyone who uses Mobile streaming apps or moderately configured Desktops and Laptops can assume the sound would be similar in your setup.
  • I am not an audiophile and never heard any exotic/high end systems so my review would be in simple terms from common man perspectives.
Why this speaker?
  • A well respected and senior DIY’ers Suresh(TmrSuresh) and G.Kannan(KannanG) always have high opinion about Dayton RS-100 4ohm full range driver which is the driver used in this BS. I have personally heard RS-100 as a midrange in G Kannan’s car which is 3 way active.
  • The spec allows this driver to be used in both Home and Car. So, in future, I can use this driver in car if I plan to go active.
  • There are plenty of DIY design available in internet with this driver so if I am not happy with the existing design, I can try other designs especially TABAQ type for which the building cost is low.
  • For this budget, people usually goes with Boston A26, Warf Diamond series due to limited options available. I wanted to try something different.
  • More importantly, replacement driver is easily available. (diyaudiocart.com & Parts express)
So I made my mind to buy (/try) this.

Purchasing & Delivery (8/10)
  • Ordered in diyaudiocart.com and item reached home in just 3 days which is pretty quick. Cochin and Chennai are not far but processing the orders has always been good with DAC.
  • Speakers were very well packed.
  • Drivers were taken utmost care.
Setup & Testing
Will continue..

Nice. do post your initial impressions and what other gear you would be using to drive those. Congratulations.

Setup & Testing

Setup 1:
Saavn app via Asus android phone --> Norge 1000 Gold Stereo amp -->HifiMart DAC RCA cables --> Amazon Basics speaker wire --> Speaker

Setup 2:
Akai GX M10 --> Rest as like setup 1

Songs were selected to test different ‘touches’ we can usually find in Indian Cinema songs. Here is the list,
BestTamilSongs.png
I have allowed a week time for speakers to burn-in to write about them.

First of all, speakers are small. Looks like a tall Satellites. IMG-3456_mod.jpg

But don't judge this by size. The sound it produces is BIG. I mean it.
  • Mids are crystal clear. This speakers score (9/10) in this region.
  • Highs are good and not bright. Very pleasant to hear (8/10).
  • Bass is adequate(7.5/10). I usually listen to soft melody or 80's & 90's songs which doesn't need much bass. Bass is adequate and well controlled. I would recommend to integrate with Sub to enjoy all genre of music.
  • No fatigue at all. I had listened continuously for 4 hours but no fatigue.
Overall I would rate 8/10. It would definitely score more with hi quality Source & Transports and proper placement. A common man like me cant afford (at least for now) separates but this speakers sound great even in my moderate setup and ordinary room environment. If you want to move towards FR and wanted a simple setup for bedroom or casual listening, I would strongly recommend this.

Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy music !!

I forget to mention about Fit & Finish.

Yes, Fit and Finish is good. If any Chennai members wanted to listen these in your setup, do let me know. I can bring the speakers for you.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back