Computer speaker for less then 8k

desmond531

Hi,

I see most of the post here are for high end audio stuff..sadly way out of my budget...:sad:
Im looking for a speaker for my computer. Listen to alot of music and watch movies often. Dont play it really loud just want the best quality i can get for my budget

I was looking at the Atlic Lansing MX5021 which i found out is around INR 6500 at SP Road Bangalore. Seems to be an old model but has good reviews.

There is also the Creative 5.1 which is much cheaper at INR 2800 or the Altec Lansing VS4121BLK which is INR 3800.

Is the MX 5021 totally worth the extra cash. Are there any other models i should consider?

Thanks

Absolutely Atlec Lansing MX5021. Perform rather outperform many beyond their price range. Very good with music. Games are good too, but not the true 5.1. Go with Creative if you're a hardcore gamer and need the 5.1 FX. Otherwise, my vote is for Altec Lansing.

Hello Desmond,

Do not give a second thought. Altec Lancing MX-5021 is worth every penny that you pay. I do own one and I haven't come across any other computer speakers in this price bracket that can beat the overall performance of the MX-5021.

Cheers,
Ramesh

Hello Desmond,

Do not give a second thought. Altec Lancing MX-5021 is worth every penny that you pay. I do own one and I haven't come across any other computer speakers in this price bracket that can beat the overall performance of the MX-5021.

Cheers,
Ramesh

Hi Ramesh,

Since your from Bangalore. Would you suggest I buy it from SP road or any other place in particular?

Hi Ramesh,

Since your from Bangalore. Would you suggest I buy it from SP road or any other place in particular?

I bought it from Computerwarehouse for 6.7k last month. This is with one year warranty. I would prefer to buy from CWH rather than some SP Rd shop, eventhough I may be paying about 5% extra. It is worth the peace of mind you get.

I bought it from Computerwarehouse for 6.7k last month. This is with one year warranty. I would prefer to buy from CWH rather than some SP Rd shop, eventhough I may be paying about 5% extra. It is worth the peace of mind you get.

I hope they still have stock. Dont see it on the CWH online catalog. Will call them tom and find out. Thanks

I hope they still have stock. Dont see it on the CWH online catalog. Will call them tom and find out. Thanks
or you can contact this:

CORPORATE/RETAIL ENQUIRIES
Kukreja Electronics
4112 1st Floor, High Point-4
Palace Road, -Bangalore -560001
PH 22260751, 41512161/62, 41136415/6

SHOWROOM
Kukreja Landmark
1sr Floor, NO2, 11th MAIN. 3rd Block
Jaynagar, BANGALORE-560011
PH 41721433 , 22448299

Well since Altec Lancing is a branded product, absolutely there is no issue if you buy it from S P Road. Generally all the well-known branded products available at SP Road comes through proper distributor-dealer channel like any other big-time sellers like Computer Warehouse. Infact, at times CWH also sources few products from S P Road if they run out of stock. And for all branded products irrespective of wherever you buy from, when you buy it with a bill, you get the manufacturers warranty by default. So when you are getting a product at a better price with bill in S P Road why should we buy elsewhere at a higher price? Phantom buddy ... no offence ... just shared the fact :)

hey...
went n bought the MX 5021 today from Kukreja Electronics.
Paid 6500/- inclusive of taxes
they are just awesome...n thats with my old soundcard... connected my friends new laptop n it sounded even better...gonna buy me a good sound card tomorrow n then think im gonna get kicked out of the neighborhood!

the control on the base and clarity is just 2 good for the price! they great for music but was really impressed when playin movies.

Thanks a lot guys for all the info n advice..

Will post later once ive got the new sound card and experiment with it some more! :)

any suggestions on which sound card is good for the Mx5021. Please specify the model and the price. Dont want anything fancy. just something that will bring out almost the best in these speakers!;)

any suggestions on which sound card is good for the Mx5021. Please specify the model and the price. Dont want anything fancy. just something that will bring out almost the best in these speakers!;)

If you are looking for great SQ especially for music then check out the Asus Xonar range. They rock, but are on the higher side. If budget is a constraint any decent Creative (with decent specs) will do. However, if you can hold on for a month or two and go for an Asus Xonar then nothing like it. Music will just rock on it.

since the MX5021 is a 2.1. does it make sense of buying a card with output channels= 7.1?

can some one explain y? thanks

Ha ha. All soundcards are 7.1 these days. Just like multi-channel AVRs are more common than say 2-channel. Also, the 2-channel will be more expensive. Ditto for soundcards too. Asus has a 2-channel analog output soundcard in the Asus Xonar Essence STX which costs around 8K, but produces the best ever sound at least in its price range and then some more. If you are looking for audiophile SQ then the Asus Essence STX is a must. But the point is in this day and age of 5.1 now moving towards 7.1/HD Audio no one (unless he is an audiophile) will look to go the 2.0/2.1 route. Most of my friends were wondering the same when I picked up Audioengine 2.0 speakers in this day and age of 5.1 Creatives/Logitechs. If your PC is only for music and you are looking to build a great "music station PC" then check out the Asus Essence STX.

since the MX5021 is a 2.1. does it make sense of buying a card with output channels= 7.1?

can some one explain y? thanks

BTW, in the s/w provided along with the soundcard you can set the output from 2.0/2.1 to 7.1 depending on the speakers package you're using. Just decide based on you want only 2.0/2.1 music only PC or will be watching the odd movie in 5.1/7.1 on the PC.

no..dont need audiophile sound..just something better than my on board crap. supposed i go in for the creative 5.1/7.1, what should be the power rating of my SMPS? heard u can end up blowing it up when u add a sound card

Also i dont play games on the comp. have the ps for that..so the card is just for music and the occasional movie...

will the creative 5.1 suffice? think its some 900 bucks..

mine has a 300W rating...do i need to change it if i buy the creative 7.1 PCI sound card?

Don't think so. How much h/w is connected? If it's just a DVD Writer, HDD, Sound Card then no problem. Unless you're running a hardcore gaming rig with graphics card, have multiple HDD then 300 W is fine.

hey .. i bought the creative audigy 7.1
sounds much better.. though i feel the vocals are drowned out in the instruments which are sound too loud for some songs specially rock...if anyone has this card could you advise on the best settings...im using winamp. which equalizer do you use? winamp or the card's?

hey .. i bought the creative audigy 7.1
sounds much better.. though i feel the vocals are drowned out in the instruments which are sound too loud for some songs specially rock...if anyone has this card could you advise on the best settings...im using winamp. which equalizer do you use? winamp or the card's?

Don't bother with settings/DSP right now. Firstly get Foorbar2000 and the Kernel Streaming plugin (for Windows XP). Also, get XMPlay. Both of them sound great. Foobar2000 you will need to play a bit with to customize it, but worth the effort. XMPlay will just play out of the box. Nothing wrong with Winamp, just too bloated. XMPlay hardly takes any system resources and sounds great with its BASS engine.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back