Concealing wires of TV,DVD Player, VCR etc.

amazer

Hello Guys, as the title suggests i need some idea as how to conceal the wires that connect the LCD to DVD player,PS2, VCR etc and the power cables.i will be mounting my LCD on the wall.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

thx venkat bhai. rite now false ceiling work is going on in the drawing room so is there any possibility of concealing the wires and switch boards by building something like a false wall ?

What you can take through the wall or the false ceiling are the speaker wires and maybe the connections to the TV. But to do that you have to have long cables depending upon where you systems are placed and the distance from your system to the TV. If you can give us some idea of the equipment and TV layout, maybe we can give some suggestions.

Cheers

What you can take through the wall or the false ceiling are the speaker wires and maybe the connections to the TV. But to do that you have to have long cables depending upon where you systems are placed and the distance from your system to the TV. If you can give us some idea of the equipment and TV layout, maybe we can give some suggestions.

Cheers

well i dont have a fancy audio system but im using my existing klipsch promedia 2.1 connected to the LCD as speakers and other gadgets that i have connected to the TV are PS2, DVD Player, VCR and may be in near future a HTPC.

The wall that i wish to mount the TV on is like 20 feet wide and i wish to have a cupboard like the one in the pic to house the players right beneath the wallmounted TV.

well i dont have a fancy audio system but im using my existing klipsch promedia 2.1 connected to the LCD as speakers and other gadgets that i have connected to the TV are PS2, DVD Player, VCR and may be in near future a HTPC.

The wall that i wish to mount the TV on is like 20 feet wide and i wish to have a cupboard like the one in the pic to house the players right beneath the wallmounted TV.

I suggest not running active cables (power chords etc.) through the false ceiling or walls as these are fire hazards. You could always run a railing and enclode these inside. If you are bent on running power cables through the walls, then you need to get a fire proof jacket along with fire resistent outlet boxes so as not to short. Suggest going with registered electrician as this is a bit tricky if you are not handy. Also go for the larger guage since you never know what you will hook up later to the circuit. Run couple of independent outlets.

Since you are keeping most equipment under the TV on the same wall, I am assuming the max length of the cables will be around 10 feet, if not less.

Just run a few plastic conduits nailed to the wall and run the cables through them. If you have to carry power cords, they have to be on a separate conduit which is at least 6 inches away from the other conduits. This is to avoid interference. As Marsilians has suggested, be careful with power cords. Use Finolex flame resistance cables, if possible.

If you don't like the sight of the conduits, you can get a carpenter to mount a wooden panel between the TV and the cabinet that will hide all cables.

I personally prefer to have all cables open and visible so that I could fiddle with them. But that is my personal preference.

Cheers

Last edited:
I suggest not running active cables (power chords etc.) through the false ceiling or walls as these are fire hazards. You could always run a railing and enclode these inside. If you are bent on running power cables through the walls, then you need to get a fire proof jacket along with fire resistent outlet boxes so as not to short. Suggest going with registered electrician as this is a bit tricky if you are not handy. Also go for the larger guage since you never know what you will hook up later to the circuit. Run couple of independent outlets.

thx marsilians.im not really hell bent on concealing the power cable. One cable outside deosnt really spoil the look guess. moreover dont want to risk a fire or some mishap at its expense. anyways thx for the advice. yeah im getting this work done by an experienced electrician. No DIY with electricity.

Since you are keep most equipment under the TV on the same wall, I am assuming the max length of the cables will be around 10 feet, if not less.

Just run a few plastic conduits nailed to the wall and run the cables through them. If you have carry power cords, they have to be on a separate conduit which is at least 6 inches away from the other conduits. This is to avoid interference. As Marsilians has suggested, be careful with power cords. Use Finolex flame resistance cables, if possible.

If you don't like the sight of the conduits, you can get a carpenter to mount a wooden panel between the TV and the cabinet that will hide all cables.

I personally prefer to have all cables open and visible so that I could fiddle with them. But that is my personal preference.

Cheers

not even 10 feet venkat bhai. theyll be around 5 feet.anywyas thx for all the suggestions.

thx marsilians.im not really hell bent on concealing the power cable. One cable outside deosnt really spoil the look guess. moreover dont want to risk a fire or some mishap at its expense. anyways thx for the advice. yeah im getting this work done by an experienced electrician. No DIY with electricity.

Its not too bad if you know what you are doing. I learnt it the hard way ;)

came across this arrangement in one ceramic tiles store. I thot it to be a decent option but need your feedback on any disadvantages(if any) of such setup. Its actually made of plywood onto which vitrified tiles are glued.

Attachments

• 130320081157.jpg
    130320081157.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 51
Vitrified tiles are processed to have very low porosity and repel water. They will reflect sound and will prove unsuitable for rear firing speakers. You can, of course, mount sound absorbing tiles if they are available in India.

One way is to take the vitrified tiles and drill small holes all over. Since you have wood at the back in any case, the holes will allow sound to travel through and have better sound absorption capabilities. But is it worth all the effort, and I don't think it is easy to drill holes in any eye pleasing pattern.

Cheers

guys whats the optimum height at which a LCD has to be mounted on the wall? My TV is 40 inch Sony W series.

guys whats the optimum height at which a LCD has to be mounted on the wall? My TV is 40 inch Sony W series.

Assuming you dont have kids that can reach the TV to pull it down, the ideal height is the one when you sit at the desired distance and dont have to bend your head backwards or forwards to view and your eyeballs are at the center of the eye so this does not cause a strain over longer periods. This point should line up with the center of the TV and you are all set.

With such a measurement, my 50 in TV is 4.5 ft from the ground with me viewing from the sofa about 11 ft away

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back