Confessions of a Pseudo Audiophile and the superb Denon DL 301 MK2

I am using Denon 103R with Mani as well as NAD PP3 in MC mode.
Mani --Low Volume,No punch
NAD --Good volume,Punchy ,Good Bass and Smooth Treble.Surprised.
Waiting for AT SUT 630 to arrive on scene.

DENON 103 R,Shure M 97Xe,Nagaoka MP110 and AT 440 MLB are the cartridges I am using at present.

Denon 103 R sound is detailed and enjoyable.
Nagaoka MP110 -all round Cartridge
Shure M97Xe ---Every Day Cartridge
AT 440 MLB --Use on only New Mint Records.

The Schitt Mani on MC mode has a 47K loading while the 103R needs 120 Ohms and the gain is also pretty low. hence not a good match

The AT SUT is around 1:20 I believe and you should get a much better gain out of the mani with that , but please use the gain setting option 2 .

The Schitt Mani on MC mode has a 47K loading while the 103R needs 120 Ohms and the gain is also pretty low. hence not a good match

The best loading for 103 in my experience is 1000 Ohms. Even 500 is good.

Prem,
I don't recall the exact details anymore but I first got the idea of 1000 Ohm loading from a forum post by the designer of iFi phono preamp. I experimented with various values from 100 right up to 47K and found 1K to be best sounding to my ears.

joshua, I would guess the high frequencies get smoother at above 400 ohms.
A common the challenge with DL103 is that its lower output and higher impedance means that you cannot get the right loading with just a SUT unless you have a high gain MM. you need to put in some resistive loading as well.

I tried DL301 MKii from 100 to 47k loading, 320 and 1000 sounds great.
as per IFI (2) manual, 1000 Ohms loading and gain is 60 db are best suited for LOMC like 103, 103R, 301 etc...

Yet another update to my phono journey. I finally got hold of the Nagaoka MP200 a month back. My first impression of the Nagaoka, was frankly quite bad. Compared to the Denon cart, that had a metallic finish and came rather nicely packaged, the Nagaoka with its purple plastic body look CHEAP. And this was a cartridge that costs a lot more than the Denon. Round one was comprehensively owned by the Denon.

Then came the installation. The Nagaoka is a comparatively large cartridge, Both in terms of the length and height. On my headshell it was quite a tight fit. Also since my TT does not have a VTA adjustment, the cart is barely above a 180gm vinyl. Not really an issue but need to be careful. On the plus side its boxy dimensions made alignment a bit easier. Round 2 also went to the Denon, but by a thin margin.

Then came the important test. I paired it with the Mani, set on MM mode and finally settled down to be blown away. And blown away I was, with the volume..I literally jumped at the volume knob, set at levels suitable for the Denon, and turned it down. I thought the gain on the Mani was set on level 3 but it wasn't. I set it to level 1 but the sound was simply rubbish. So back on level 2 I had to lower my amp volume to hear the cart.

At similar volume levels, my first impression was that the Nagaoka had a bigger sound. Compared to it, the Denon seemed laid back. I was not sure if I like it but it certainly suited acoustic music like Eric Clapton's unplugged. The instruments were clear, separated and distinct. But I perhaps that was due to the higher volume/gain. However one area which was distinct LG better was the bass, much deeper and well defined. As a result the sound seemed meatier than the Denon. I put on another favourite, Eric Clapton's Just one Night, a much busier live album but very well recorded. The biggest difference again was the bass. I thought this will only get better as it runs in.

My only problem was the volume gain. I could operate only in a very narrow band. Outside this band the sound either lacked any definition or was a bit shouty. But this was my initial impression. I continued playing it for a couple of weeks. I must say that the sound began growing on me but the volume issue kept bothering me.

The problem with comparing cartridges is that it is difficult to do a AB test unless you own another headshell, which I did not. So after a couple of weeks I switched back to the denon for yet another comparison. immediately I noticed that the sound was mellower and smoother. There was that laid back sound that I enjoy quite a bit. But the bass definition was gone. The sound was leaner and in my favourite tracks the bass guitar seemed to have been relegated to the back of the room.

However as I listened to the cart I again started enjoying it. After a week of the Denon I switched back to the Nagaoka and yet again started enjoying the bigger and well defined sound.

So while I am leaning towards the Nagaoka Mani combo the results are far from declaring a comprehensive winner.

In conclusion,

1. To my ears the Project phono box sounds better than the Schiit Mani in MC mode and vice versa in MM mode.

2. Nagaoka MP 200 and the Schiit Mani is a fantastic match. I simply love the quality of bass that this combo extracts from vinyls. In my system however there is an issue with the volume gain. I have actually ordered for a Schiit Sys (essentially a volume controller) which I hope will sort it out but let's see.

3. I wish there was another gain level on the Mani.

4. The Denon DL 301 mk2 is a beautiful sounding cartridge. Showed me what a cartridge upgrade can do to your analog hi-fi experience. I am pretty sure it can benefit from a phono stage upgrade.

5. Finally, you can be perfectly happy with you hi-fi set up if you do not compare. This game is both time consuming, nerve racking, confusing and expensive, but I have to admit, a lot of fun.

This I think concludes my system testing for the time being. But unfortunately now I keep getting drawn to TT reviews and to online hi-fi websites!! I must say I am quite smitten by the Mofi studiodeck and the Elac Miracord 70. I also find the Technics SL 1200 quite interesting and am toying with the idea of buying a pre owned one. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back