Confessions of a Pseudo Audiophile and the superb Denon DL 301 MK2

Locomotive

Health warning - the following is a really long ramble!!

Let me start off with a disclaimer, I am no audiophile. Yes I enjoy a good refined sound and lust after expensive hifi components but ask me to describe the sound in terms of resolution, dimensions, placements, timbre or space and I am completely lost. For me what works best is the 'goosebump' test - if i get them while listening to familiar material then for me the setup is damn good. In this respect I am a huge fan of Magnepans (but clearly my wife isnt - well she loves the way they sound but cannot stand the sight of them, and i see her point!!).

With that out of the way, my tryst with vinyls began about a decade back when I inherited an old Cosmic Cogram 2000 from my uncle along with a bunch of old records. I got the TT serviced at Nova Audio. I was amazed at how records, that were older than me and were lying unused for about 2 decades, started singing when the needle dropped on them. I loved the fact that each record was dated with many having personal messages, and I was smitten by the mechanical simplicity of it all. Back to the first principles, I told myself. But was I impressed with the sound..nah!! yes it was not bad but could'nt hold a candle to the CD or the novelty back then, the high res digital music.

Still I loved owning it and I even started buying new vinyls. However I used it more as a nostalgia trip and a party piece. Then after the Cosmic broke down, I got myself a Pro-Ject genie 1, which I adored aesthetically. But very soon I realized that a dust cover was absolutely essential in India. Sound wise I thought that the Pro-Ject sounded a bit 'hard' and lacked smoothness and there was more noise and pops than I would have liked. Upgrading to a Shure M97 XE sure did help but but did not completely solve the issues. Analog firmly remained in the realm of nostalgia with digital being the mainstay. Plus the lure of having terra bytes of music at your fingertips was simply impossible to ignore.

However I continued to buy vinyls occasionally and listen to them. I was heartbroken when I accidentally dropped the Pro-Ject and ended up bending its tonearm and breaking the cart. After this I bought a Denon DP 300 F along with another Shure M97 XE. The key considerations then were the dust cover and the mechanical auto start and return functions!! There was a marked improvement in the sound quality and for the first time ever I started listening to Vinyls to enjoy the music as well. By this time however my focus on digital convenience was at its peak with a dedicated music server, DACs, high end USB cables and Jitter filters along with enough digital content to keep my next few generations busy. My time was spent testing various filters, equilisations, formats, protocols etc!!

Fast forward 5 years back, one day I realised that I was falling into the typical audiophile trappings, listen to the same half a track and keep tweaking the system parameters till you get that 'perfect' sound.. and then test that setting on a 'well recorded high res audiophile' track that I did not like!! Essentially I had build up a hifi system to enjoy music but in doing so I had simply stopped listening to music.

I decided to simplify. Digital was still the way for me but I decided to cut the clutter. I replaced all the different components with just two, The Peachtree 220 SE, a stunning minimalist amp and an Oppo 103 which took care of all my digital playback needs. I plugged in my hard disk to the Oppo and controlled it an App. Life was perfect. I realized that if you have a decent system and avoided A-B testing you could be perfectly happy with it for long. I was certainly enjoying music a lot more than I did before. I was also listening more to Vinyls but the convenience of digital was hard to beat. In terms of sound I was actually neutral between the two. It was just a different flavour of the same thing and I thought it was perfectly ok to like both.

Another fast forward to a year back, I began realizing that digital convenience had its own flaws. Now I was spending more time worrying about what to play next than listening to what was playing. Scrolling through thousands of albums was so easy that it seemed like an opportunity loss if I did not do it while hearing music. Suddenly listening to vinyls seemed to be a purer endeavor and with middle age catching up thick and fast I found myself enjoying the ritual of playing vinyls. Flip through the vinyls, admire their artwork, remove the record carefully with a samurai like precision, place them on the spindle, start the spindle spinning, dust off the record, drop the needle and then sit back and finally listen. heck I was even enjoying the initial crackle as the needle hit the spinning record. Analog was simply not only about the music but was a full experience. It actually slowed me down and robbed me of any conveniences or choice.. and I loved it. Also because I could not even forward the tracks without physically displacing myself, more thought went into choosing what i wanted to hear at the first place. And with my daughter stepping out of her toddler years, the evenings spent cleaning records was a real fun activity.

However sound wise, Analog and Digital were comparable, only different flavours. While I had an analog bias, I was also listening to my CDs (rather than the files on my hard disk). There were certain recording like those of Radiohead and U2 that I preferred over CDs while others like old bollywood songs, gazals, dire straits, led zeppelin etc that I preferred over vinyl.

I had not made any major changes to my HiFi set up and was very happy with it. I was also perfectly happy with my turntable and the Shure cartridge. However last year I began toying with the idea of upgrading the cartridge. Of all the carts I read up about (I had not heard even one of them), I finally settled on a Denon DL 301 MK2, mainly because a great deal presented itself online. But this was a MC cart and I from what I had read it seemed that they can be notoriously difficult to match with the right equipment. to start with I had a 10 year old Project phono box whose MC button had never even been depressed. But since the deal was good I decided to go blind on it. The cart arrived from Japan in a couple of weeks and based on online tutorials I set it up on my TT.

My first impressions were that the Denon sounded different. It was certainly more detailed than the Shure, the base was tighter but I thought I missed the warmth of the Shure in some records. However as the weeks have passed the sound.... well either the sound has got smoother and more refined or I have simple got used to it. But now I just love the sound of the Denon. Owning the Denon cart has been another watershed moment in my hifi life. My sound preference has now shifted firmly in favour of Analog. The highs are smooth, mid really engaging and the bass is fantastic. I am revisiting my entire collection one by one and enjoy that goosebump much more often than anytime in the past (except whenever I heard the full range Maggies at a distinguished FMs place). And this is with my existing phono stage and TT. I have purchased another headshell to to an AB test with my Shure cartridge, just for fun (although this can be dangerous foray down the rabbit hole again). Also based on its fantastic reviews I have purchased a Schiit Mani preamp, which I am eagerly waiting for. But going by online discussions the Mani might not be a good match., But I will let my ears be the judge.

Apologies again for the endless rant, I started off with the intention of writing about how the Denon cart has changed my perceptions but ended up writing it as a footnote to the whole backstory.

I will keep you all posted of how the Mani turns out.

Attachments

• IMG20190408190036_20190419175833821.jpg
    IMG20190408190036_20190419175833821.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG20190410215919_20190419180018636.jpg
    IMG20190410215919_20190419180018636.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG20190419143857_20190419175912773.jpg
    IMG20190419143857_20190419175912773.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 158
Lovely read. What tt is that if I may ask! I have a denon DL 110 and I can't wait to open it up and use it! Denon carts are outright amazing!

Thank you sir, I have a Denon DP 300 F and a Pro-Ject Phono Box 2 preamp, a rather budget set up :)
I am waiting for the Schiit Mani preamp to arrive. It is also a budget preamp but is well reviewed.

The schiit mani is brilliant too! Lovely equipment and will beat many a phono few times multiplied. Your setup is far from simple. It’s lovely to look at and it’s nice to hear a fm say it sounds great too. Wish u many hours of enjoyable music.

Health warning - the following is a really long ramble!!

Let me start off with a disclaimer, I am no audiophile. Yes I enjoy a good refined sound and lust after expensive hifi components but ask me to describe the sound in terms of resolution, dimensions, placements, timbre or space and I am completely lost. For me what works best is the 'goosebump' test - if i get them while listening to familiar material then for me the setup is damn good. In this respect I am a huge fan of Magnepans (but clearly my wife isnt - well she loves the way they sound but cannot stand the sight of them, and i see her point!!).

With that out of the way, my tryst with vinyls began about a decade back when I inherited an old Cosmic Cogram 2000 from my uncle along with a bunch of old records. I got the TT serviced at Nova Audio. I was amazed at how records, that were older than me and were lying unused for about 2 decades, started singing when the needle dropped on them. I loved the fact that each record was dated with many having personal messages, and I was smitten by the mechanical simplicity of it all. Back to the first principles, I told myself. But was I impressed with the sound..nah!! yes it was not bad but could'nt hold a candle to the CD or the novelty back then, the high res digital music.

Still I loved owning it and I even started buying new vinyls. However I used it more as a nostalgia trip and a party piece. Then after the Cosmic broke down, I got myself a Pro-Ject genie 1, which I adored aesthetically. But very soon I realized that a dust cover was absolutely essential in India. Sound wise I thought that the Pro-Ject sounded a bit 'hard' and lacked smoothness and there was more noise and pops than I would have liked. Upgrading to a Shure M97 XE sure did help but but did not completely solve the issues. Analog firmly remained in the realm of nostalgia with digital being the mainstay. Plus the lure of having terra bytes of music at your fingertips was simply impossible to ignore.

However I continued to buy vinyls occasionally and listen to them. I was heartbroken when I accidentally dropped the Pro-Ject and ended up bending its tonearm and breaking the cart. After this I bought a Denon DP 300 F along with another Shure M97 XE. The key considerations then were the dust cover and the mechanical auto start and return functions!! There was a marked improvement in the sound quality and for the first time ever I started listening to Vinyls to enjoy the music as well. By this time however my focus on digital convenience was at its peak with a dedicated music server, DACs, high end USB cables and Jitter filters along with enough digital content to keep my next few generations busy. My time was spent testing various filters, equilisations, formats, protocols etc!!

Fast forward 5 years back, one day I realised that I was falling into the typical audiophile trappings, listen to the same half a track and keep tweaking the system parameters till you get that 'perfect' sound.. and then test that setting on a 'well recorded high res audiophile' track that I did not like!! Essentially I had build up a hifi system to enjoy music but in doing so I had simply stopped listening to music.

I decided to simplify. Digital was still the way for me but I decided to cut the clutter. I replaced all the different components with just two, The Peachtree 220 SE, a stunning minimalist amp and an Oppo 103 which took care of all my digital playback needs. I plugged in my hard disk to the Oppo and controlled it an App. Life was perfect. I realized that if you have a decent system and avoided A-B testing you could be perfectly happy with it for long. I was certainly enjoying music a lot more than I did before. I was also listening more to Vinyls but the convenience of digital was hard to beat. In terms of sound I was actually neutral between the two. It was just a different flavour of the same thing and I thought it was perfectly ok to like both.

Another fast forward to a year back, I began realizing that digital convenience had its own flaws. Now I was spending more time worrying about what to play next than listening to what was playing. Scrolling through thousands of albums was so easy that it seemed like an opportunity loss if I did not do it while hearing music. Suddenly listening to vinyls seemed to be a purer endeavor and with middle age catching up thick and fast I found myself enjoying the ritual of playing vinyls. Flip through the vinyls, admire their artwork, remove the record carefully with a samurai like precision, place them on the spindle, start the spindle spinning, dust off the record, drop the needle and then sit back and finally listen. heck I was even enjoying the initial crackle as the needle hit the spinning record. Analog was simply not only about the music but was a full experience. It actually slowed me down and robbed me of any conveniences or choice.. and I loved it. Also because I could not even forward the tracks without physically displacing myself, more thought went into choosing what i wanted to hear at the first place. And with my daughter stepping out of her toddler years, the evenings spent cleaning records was a real fun activity.

However sound wise, Analog and Digital were comparable, only different flavours. While I had an analog bias, I was also listening to my CDs (rather than the files on my hard disk). There were certain recording like those of Radiohead and U2 that I preferred over CDs while others like old bollywood songs, gazals, dire straits, led zeppelin etc that I preferred over vinyl.

I had not made any major changes to my HiFi set up and was very happy with it. I was also perfectly happy with my turntable and the Shure cartridge. However last year I began toying with the idea of upgrading the cartridge. Of all the carts I read up about (I had not heard even one of them), I finally settled on a Denon DL 301 MK2, mainly because a great deal presented itself online. But this was a MC cart and I from what I had read it seemed that they can be notoriously difficult to match with the right equipment. to start with I had a 10 year old Project phono box whose MC button had never even been depressed. But since the deal was good I decided to go blind on it. The cart arrived from Japan in a couple of weeks and based on online tutorials I set it up on my TT.

My first impressions were that the Denon sounded different. It was certainly more detailed than the Shure, the base was tighter but I thought I missed the warmth of the Shure in some records. However as the weeks have passed the sound.... well either the sound has got smoother and more refined or I have simple got used to it. But now I just love the sound of the Denon. Owning the Denon cart has been another watershed moment in my hifi life. My sound preference has now shifted firmly in favour of Analog. The highs are smooth, mid really engaging and the bass is fantastic. I am revisiting my entire collection one by one and enjoy that goosebump much more often than anytime in the past (except whenever I heard the full range Maggies at a distinguished FMs place). And this is with my existing phono stage and TT. I have purchased another headshell to to an AB test with my Shure cartridge, just for fun (although this can be dangerous foray down the rabbit hole again). Also based on its fantastic reviews I have purchased a Schiit Mani preamp, which I am eagerly waiting for. But going by online discussions the Mani might not be a good match., But I will let my ears be the judge.

Apologies again for the endless rant, I started off with the intention of writing about how the Denon cart has changed my perceptions but ended up writing it as a footnote to the whole backstory.

I will keep you all posted of how the Mani turns out.
Very inspiring, my current TT is pro-ject debut Carbon DC , list of my tested stylus are long, now my current cartridge is Denon DL-110, it sounds very much like 300 Mk2. Schiit Mani is good preamp , it’s max impedance 59 ohms for MC, keep posting updates when you hook new preamp.

Wow...that was one lovely read locomotive. I have never bothered to dabble in the analogue side of things, for all the same reasons of convenience that you have mentioned above. But it is rants like yours, that keep nudging me to take the plunge finally. Thanks for taking the time out to pen such a lovely post . Enjoyed it very much :)

Very inspiring, my current TT is pro-ject debut Carbon DC , list of my tested stylus are long, now my current cartridge is Denon DL-110, it sounds very much like 300 Mk2. Schiit Mani is good preamp , it’s max impedance 59 ohms for MC, keep posting updates when you hook new preamp.

Which pre-amp do you use? Online forums recommend an impedance loading of 10x which means an impedance of 300ohms. The manual that came along with the cart recommends 100ohms, which is the same as my current pre-amp.

There were a few mixed reviews on the Mani with the denon 103r but I did not come across any review of the 301 and Mani. So it is really fingers crossed for the Mani.

Wow...that was one lovely read locomotive. I have never bothered to dabble in the analogue side of things, for all the same reasons of convenience that you have mentioned above. But it is rants like yours, that keep nudging me to take the plunge finally. Thanks for taking the time out to pen such a lovely post . Enjoyed it very much :)

Thank you sir :)

Which pre-amp do you use? Online forums recommend an impedance loading of 10x which means an impedance of 300ohms. The manual that came along with the cart recommends 100ohms, which is the same as my current pre-amp.

There were a few mixed reviews on the Mani with the denon 103r but I did not come across any review of the 301 and Mani. So it is really fingers crossed for the Mani.
I use music fidelity v90 LPS which has 100 impedance that suit to any LOMC (low output MC cart) anyway schiit Mani is not bad for LOMC but amplifier should have more power else you have to crank volume knob to higher for punchy

I looking at buying the same TT Hari Babu. What’s your general opinion on the TT? How do find it? Thanks.

I had a sl1200 mk5 for 3 years. Just last week sold it. I too am looking for a change :) excellent non fussy TT! Simple to setup and sounds wonderful with the right cart!

Nice post!
There were certain recording like those of Radiohead and U2 that I preferred over CDs while others like old bollywood songs, gazals, dire straits, led zeppelin etc that I preferred over vinyl.
You meant you enjoyed Led Zep on vinyl or on digital?

On my setup I preferred Led Zeppelin on vinyl. Having said that I never use Led Zeppelin as a reference recording because I think it is quite poor. But the songs are awesome.

You can build this AD797 photo stage https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ad797-phono-stage-build-and-help-desk-thread.501186/ The impedance and gain are adjustable. It sounds very good too.

Regards
Sachin
Thanks for sharing. Looks very interesting but complicated. I guess you do need a minimum proficiency in electronics to do this project.

I looking at buying the same TT Hari Babu. What’s your general opinion on the TT? How do find it? Thanks.

Hi Celester,
Here is the best TT for you and better than me.
Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC)
it's upgraded version of Pro-ject Debut Carbon, 2 good things added, 1. Acrylic plotter for great refined sound 2. Speed (45/33rpm) change button added.
I bought it from USA, you can try it from Amazon Global when festival offer announced.

Rgds

On my setup I preferred Led Zeppelin on vinyl. Having said that I never use Led Zeppelin as a reference recording because I think it is quite poor. But the songs are awesome.
I thought so.
Yeah, such a pity that the recordings of Led Zeppelin weren’t as good as their peers.
And such a pity that Bonzo died way too early and they disbanded.
I’m saving up to buy a turn table and looking forward to experience the medium!
Cheers!

Hope you're enjoying with 301 cart.

I have got chance to test 301 MK2 with many Phonos, including Schiit Mani, MF LPS Vp90 and IFI Micro Phono 2.
So I wanted to share with you.

1. MF LPS - loading 100 ohms, little Flat and good bass. average Mid, Volume doesn't required to increase. punch missing.

2. IFI Phono2 - it's recommended for LOMC. Loading tested from 100 Ohms to 1K ohms, 1000 ohms is best, gain is set to 60db, output volume level is good and little louder. sound quality is Excellent, good bass and great mid and high

3. Schiit Mani - Loading is 47 Ohms. gain is 59 db (max), set to gain 1 and gain 2 to H. Volume knob need to traverse to 10 AM position for sufficient level of volume (low volume compared to others). excellent dynamics which is missing in other phonos. Bass, mid and HF are excellent. very balancing sound.

Finally, Schiit Mani is not a bad for LOMC cart. you're not missing any thing.

Schiit Mani is nothing short of brilliant for its price..found it best at option 2 ie 42dB ..very organic. lacks extensions when you compare it with 1000$+ but a deal for anything less.

I actually use it with a decca gold for my 2nd arm.

Finally, Schiit Mani is not a bad for LOMC cart. you're not missing any thing.

Many Thanks for your views.

My only point of reference to compare the Schiit Mani is my Pro-ject Phono box II (MC mode @ 100ohms).

To be honest I was rather underwhelmed when I first heard the Mani. Compared to the Project I thought that the Mani was rather subdued, as if it introduced a screen in front of the speakers. I realized that the situation improved when I cranked up the volume, but the sound was different. As much as I wanted to like the Mani, I kept going back to the Project. Perhaps the Mani had to be run in, I told myself. And I kept using it but the verdict remained unchanged. I even experimented with using the MM settings on the Mani. I actually liked the sound balance but at slightly higher volumes the sound was distorted. However Mani is a really well reviewed Phono stage and I was not yet ready to give up on it. Perhaps the issue was the lowly 47 ohm load. I actually considered upgrading the phono stage to either a IFI Phono 2 or the Rega fono MC so that I can use the higher loading options but finally in a momentary lapse of reason, I ordered the Nagaoka MP 200 cart which I have read goes beautifully with the Mani.

However yesterday when I read your comments on the Mani, I went right back to comparing them :) but i think I still prefer the Project.

In my opinion the key differences between the two phono stages are,

1. Midrange, I feel, is better in the Project (not in quality but in the balance). the Project sounds as if the singer is in front of the stage rather than at the back/mid.
2. Mani certainly has a tighter base. Bass guitar sounds better defined on the Mani rather than the Project.
3. This one is difficult to explain. I feel there is more gap between instruments in the Mani sound. In busier tracks the Mani sounds better but otherwise I feel that the Project extracts more details.
4. I think at moderate volumes I prefer the balance of the Project sound. But as the volume increases the Mani sure does catch up. It i then a matter of which flavor you prefer.

As I slide deeper into the Audiophile rabbit hole, now I am waiting for the Nagaoka to Arrive. Lets see how that pans out.

I actually use it with a decca gold for my 2nd arm.

Wow I would love to hear this legendary cart.

I read somewhere that it goes best with 47k ohms. This reinforces my expectations that the Mani will really shine with the Nagaoka.

I surely do hope so.

Last edited:
I am using Denon 103R with Mani as well as NAD PP3 in MC mode.
Mani --Low Volume,No punch
NAD --Good volume,Punchy ,Good Bass and Smooth Treble.Surprised.
Waiting for AT SUT 630 to arrive on scene.

DENON 103 R,Shure M 97Xe,Nagaoka MP110 and AT 440 MLB are the cartridges I am using at present.

Denon 103 R sound is detailed and enjoyable.
Nagaoka MP110 -all round Cartridge
Shure M97Xe ---Every Day Cartridge
AT 440 MLB --Use on only New Mint Records.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back