Crown vs Marantz and Sunfire for Center

mlupton1

I switched up my AVR, from Sunfire Ultimate (no HDMI), to Marantz SR7012 (with HDMI).

I have a 9.2 surround system and using 'optical' and 'rca' to the back of my Sunfire was painful.

The Sound from my Sunfire was/is amazing. I had ran my front L/R Martin Logan Ascent-i, with a Crown XLi3500, and my Martin Logan Center Cinema was ran by my Sunfire.

My first notice, upon yesterdays installation, was my Center (which used to be ran by my Sunfire, but now by my Crown XLi 800, Bridged with Speakon to 1/4-inch (6.35mm) TS), .... now sounds more 'TINTY'.

I ran the Audyssey to get the correct 'gain' on all my speakers, but maybe it's something I need to get used to.

Debating whether I run my Marantz for my Center, or leave it as is...

Thoughts?

I switched up my AVR, from Sunfire Ultimate (no HDMI), to Marantz SR7012 (with HDMI).

I have a 9.2 surround system and using 'optical' and 'rca' to the back of my Sunfire was painful.

The Sound from my Sunfire was/is amazing. I had ran my front L/R Martin Logan Ascent-i, with a Crown XLi3500, and my Martin Logan Center Cinema was ran by my Sunfire.

My first notice, upon yesterdays installation, was my Center (which used to be ran by my Sunfire, but now by my Crown XLi 800, Bridged with Speakon to 1/4-inch (6.35mm) TS), .... now sounds more 'TINTY'.

I ran the Audyssey to get the correct 'gain' on all my speakers, but maybe it's something I need to get used to.

Debating whether I run my Marantz for my Center, or leave it as is...

Thoughts?
Having tried pro amps in my 2 channel system in the past, Iam of the opinion that at our modest listening volumes, a home audio amplifier with well optimised power reserves sound better than pro-gear to my ears. Two things to bear in mind when bridging, is one, the amp sees half of the original impedance of your speaker in bridged mode, and second its THD or distortion doubles in bridged mode.

Thus, unless you absolutely need that high power, I would try the amp straight without bridging first and see how it goes.

You could also try just the marantz for the Centre channel. In my experience, the Crown does not go well with the Marantz. Some issue with the insufficient voltage provided by the Marantz SR 7010. I had similarly bridged the Crown to the Centre with my Marantz SR 7010 and I preferred just the Marantz for the centre.

I have no issues with the Crown XLS 2502 with my iFi Dac though.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back